Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has you ever been fired from work because you are Atheist?
Yes, more then once. 2 3.92%
Yes, once. 2 3.92%
No, but I had some problem at work because of this. 9 17.65%
Never, and no problems. 38 74.51%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 AM

222 posts, read 581,245 times

Advertisements

I been officially laid off once because I'm an Atheist. Obviously was some other "official" reason, so I can't prove my words. In fact it was small company, owner was non-denomination Christian, even had his kind of Bible group (he planned to became a pastor etc), all co-workers was religious. Some of them was very religious (like never swear/alcohol/sex jokes etc.)
I wander did it ever happened with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
My husband lost his job last week, and his atheism was a catalyst in situation.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Spotted1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm really sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, could you explain the circumstances? I really think that must be illegal. The problem is of course that an employer can probably just make up some excuse to avoid dealing with an issue that might cause them legal difficulties.
I think it might be more of a problem with a small company as the OP talks about as opposed to a big corporation.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I have a feeling my being Atheist had at least a bit to do with me being laid off at the last place I was at. It was a VERY VERY christian workplace, everyone had jesus fish on their cars, there were crosses and whatnot all over the place and they held bible studies at lunch in the conference/lunch room. I was invited to many company functions, added to individuals email 'spam' lists etc etc, basically all the office clique stuff. When I admitted I was an Atheist, all of a sudden I wasn't invited to lunch with the office anymore, my email was taken off of the spam lists and I was laid off a couple of weeks later.

Oh well, it was a low paying miserable job that I just took because they worked around my school schedule. I'm soooo glad to be done with that.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 PM

222 posts, read 581,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Perhaps it were your grammar?
I'm not native English speaker, so my grammar is not good, I know.
But answering your question: Absolutely not. In my profession, I'm better then majority of my coworkers, and do less mistakes.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Then he should sue their pants off.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

1. There are 2 sides to every story. I doubt that he was completely innocent if there was any friction.

2. I agree, it's not cool to fire someone based on religion, but in the grand scheme of things, I believe the numbers are tilted against the religious. We've been mistreated more over the years than a few atheists that lost their jobs because they were vocal about their disbelief.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-20-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
1. There are 2 sides to every story. I doubt that he was completely innocent if there was any friction.

2. I agree, it's not cool to fire someone based on religion, but in the grand scheme of things, I believe the numbers are tilted against the religious. We've been mistreated more over the years than a few atheists that lost their jobs because they were vocal about their disbelief.
Most of the mistreatment was one religion mistreating another (Crusades?)

Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I been officially laid off once because I'm an Atheist. Obviously was some other "official" reason, so I can't prove my words. In fact it was small company, owner was non-denomination Christian, even had his kind of Bible group (he planned to became a pastor etc), all co-workers was religious. Some of them was very religious (like never swear/alcohol/sex jokes etc.)
I wander did it ever happened with you?

nick.leviman, I mean you no disrespect, but from what I'm reading here am I to assume that you are not a native of this country and that English is not your first language, if that is so what country are you from and what is your first language.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
oh boo hoo.

Gonna start your own "Fox's book of atheist martyrs"?

It's not right, but oh well. It goes both ways. I've put up with a lot of crap from bosses over religion. At my last job they called me a mormon because I didn't cuss.

You know with an attitude like that you've got a long ways to go before you can become a minister if that ever happens and to think you're supposed to be a Christian and yet you're acting a long ways from it, no toleration of others I see. If this is the kind of thing that Christian ministers are being taught,it's no wonder Christian churches are having problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism