U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,765,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe children at a certain age, heaven. mentally ill-heaven. I even believe some drug addicts will go to heaven. How's that for a mean fundamentalist?
Inconsistent, that's what it is.

You yourself said if someone "truly becomes a Christian" then they're always saved. Someone who cannot make a conscious choice for themselves cannot truly choose.

You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM

4,381 posts, read 1,158,515 times
Quote:
I believe children at a certain age, heaven. mentally ill-heaven. I even believe some drug addicts will go to heaven. How's that for a mean fundamentalist?
If your god can send anyone to burn forever for the sins of a few years on earth, I don't think its a stretch to believe he can do the same to children or the mentally ill.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,229,143 times
Quote:
Many Christians run around not having a clue what the attributes of God is. There are answers for your questions and you will be surprised what they are.
As though you do, Fundamentalist? What has been bestowed upon you other than your own personal interpretation and mindset to determine what the attributes of God are? Is it the pernicious, arrogant and self-centered God you continue to claim is worthy of worship that has revealed himself to you and closed-minded people like you what his attributes are?

You lament on what the attributes of a God are based on your own personal interpretation, reflection, and projection of how you interpret the Bible. This does not make you wrong, per se, but it definitely should give you pause before making such solid statements acting as the guarantor of the ultimate truth because it is your personal interpretation you wish to condemn, hate, and oppress with.

And, just to be fair... You're absolutely right. Many Christians run around not having a clue what the attributes of God are. Because my own personal understanding of the Biblical God and Jesus is inherently different than what many Christians seem to profess. In fact... My understanding of it would make you one of those very people... But, that would be my own biased opinion getting in the way of things... I'd hate for that to happen.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Many who are now ex-Christian also claimed to follow the word faithfully and grow in holiness. If they were deceived, and deceived others, then how can you be sure that you are truly "saved"? You may one day deconvert.
I thought about that the other night because lately I have not been feeling myself and I haven't been praying nor reading my bible. I thought could I go back to my old life knowing what I know now, having the experience I felt?

The answer was no way. I would be miserable. I always think about God. Before we are saved we are spiritually dead, we can't save ourselves He saves us so how can one have the power to un save himself?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
If your god can send anyone to burn forever for the sins of a few years on earth, I don't think its a stretch to believe he can do the same to children or the mentally ill.
No it wouldn't be a stretch because He has the right to do anything except contradict His word which would be a sin thus He wouldn't be God.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
As though you do, Fundamentalist? What has been bestowed upon you other than your own personal interpretation and mindset to determine what the attributes of God are? Is it the pernicious, arrogant and self-centered God you continue to claim is worthy of worship that has revealed himself to you and closed-minded people like you what his attributes are?

You lament on what the attributes of a God are based on your own personal interpretation, reflection, and projection of how you interpret the Bible. This does not make you wrong, per se, but it definitely should give you pause before making such solid statements acting as the guarantor of the ultimate truth because it is your personal interpretation you wish to condemn, hate, and oppress with.

And, just to be fair... You're absolutely right. Many Christians run around not having a clue what the attributes of God are. Because my own personal understanding of the Biblical God and Jesus is inherently different than what many Christians seem to profess. In fact... My understanding of it would make you one of those very people... But, that would be my own biased opinion getting in the way of things... I'd hate for that to happen.
I appreciate all you said but despite how you feel of what God is or should be, the question remains. Is it true? Does the God of the bible actually exist? and IF He does then under what authority can you question your Creator's motive or even His morals?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,229,143 times
Quote:
I appreciate all you said but despite how you feel of what God is or should be, the question remains. Is it true? Does the God of the bible actually exist? and IF He does then under what authority can you question your Creator's motive or even His morals?
And how is it you fail to ask yourself those questions but persist in asking me these very questions? Is your interpretation and understanding true, Fundamentalist? Does the God of the Bible actually exist? And, IF he does exist then under what authority can you question other people's understanding and conception of the Bible, their motives, or their interpretation of morals?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Inconsistent, that's what it is.

You yourself said if someone "truly becomes a Christian" then they're always saved. Someone who cannot make a conscious choice for themselves cannot truly choose.

You can't have it both ways.
God judges accordingly. God can not hold it against them who does not have the mental capacity to truly understand what they are doing? What is difficult? please explain.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,069,355 times
Quote:
Before we are saved we are spiritually dead, we can't save ourselves He saves us so how can one have the power to un save himself?
Ah, now you sound like a Calvinist. Predestination and all that. If one is pre-destined for salvation then why bother with caring about another's or even your salvation? The god-thing has it all worked out so there is nothing you can do about it anyway. You can even think you're saved and not really be. You could be running around thinking you're not, but you really are. But there's the free will concept so you still have to come to a god who is going to save you anyway and even if you fall away you'll come back but then again you might not really be saved in the first place even though you are. Shew! All this thinking must drive you people crazy.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,765,458 times
Quote:
Is it true? Does the God of the bible actually exist?
Magic 8-Ball says "Nope".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism