Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to get into arguments here, or try to poke anyone in the eye. I am genuinely curious.

What motivates you guys to come to a web site to discuss a lack of belief? I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa claus or the flying spaghetti monster...but I don't go to web sites to discuss my non-belief with other non-believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Religion is so big in America that if affects us whether we believe in it or not.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
You don't have to believe in something to want to talk about it.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
The fact that atheism is a not a belief does not mean it cannot be discussed. Atheism is a philosophy for many, and this forum provides a place for discussion. Many books have been written by atheists, many participate in discussions, etc - it is sharing of a thought process. Atheists in the US are surrounded by religious people and it is not often one comes across people of one's ilk - especially if one is in the DFW area - so this forum helps in a social sense too.

One can also learn about other religions here -I enjoyed a recent thread about Hinduism. I am too lazy to read books - including ones on atheism.

You might have a point if we tried to convert you over to a system of non-belief - and that is not the case. Things like atheist ads in buses are also fine as they are meant to stimulate a frozen thinking process borne out of constant religious brainwashing into a religion one was born into.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Look where you're starting this post. It's in the Atheist and Agnostic subforum which was created for atheists and agnostics to discuss various philosophical issues. We also discuss the religious influence in society that affects all of us so there's plenty to talk about. The question might be turned back to you. Why does a believer start a thread on an atheist subforum questioning what we're even doing here?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
Why would a christian have more posts in the Religion and Philosophy, Atheism and Agnosticism forums then they have in their own Christianity forum?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,953 times
I enjoy debating, particularly if the debate gets a bit heated (I don't deliberately troll, though). I like pointing out flawed reasonings, misunderstood science, and logical fallacies. Religion & Philosophy is something about which everyone is allowed an opinion, and crazy fundies can get passioned really fast. But that's not the only reason - there are flamewars all around the internet on a wide variety of subjects, waiting for me if I wanted to.

I'm also amused by truly outlandish and outrageous beliefs. And here it's hard to beat religious nuts. I came here following the source of a quote from Fundies Say the Darndest Things!, of which I am an occasional contributor.

I can honestly say that if you were not on this forum, I'd find it a lot less interesting.

From what I've seen, the only subject that is as good as religion for this purpose is racism, and I imagine I would find debating a racist just as enjoyable as debating a fundie. However, on most forums, even mentioning the subject seriously is a bannable offense . And I've yet to find a racist forum where criticism of the central tennet is allowed (and I know a few).

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm not looking to get into arguments here, or try to poke anyone in the eye. I am genuinely curious.
Pull the other leg.

Quote:
What motivates you guys to come to a web site to discuss a lack of belief? I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa claus or the flying spaghetti monster...but I don't go to web sites to discuss my non-belief with other non-believers.
Show us a website like this, where adult people actually discuss Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the FSM and believe they're real.

Plus, you're well-known for frivolously trolling the A&A boards so I don't think you are looking for an answer; you're just trying to stir the pot.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
from what I've seen, the only subject that is as good as religion for this purpose is racism, and I imagine I would find debating a racist just as enjoyable as debating a fundie.
Aye!!!! there's the rub..... most racists use their religion as motive for their dislike of others. I know it is too much to expect, religion that motives people to do good works.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Look where you're starting this post. It's in the Atheist and Agnostic subforum which was created for atheists and agnostics to discuss various philosophical issues. We also discuss the religious influence in society that affects all of us so there's plenty to talk about. The question might be turned back to you. Why does a believer start a thread on an atheist subforum questioning what we're even doing here?

I'm only attempting to understand you guys. Nothing more. I really don't have any hidden agendas here.

I guess I would probably tend to be a little more apathetic than folks around here are if I didn't believe in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism