Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,149,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's a time of fellowship, right? You talk about your spiritual views (or lack thereof)?

That sounds like church.

Main Entry: 1church Pronunciation: \ˈchərch\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English chirche, from Old English cirice, ultimately from Late Greek kyriakon, from Greek, neuter of kyriakos of the lord, from kyrios lord, master; akin to Sanskrit śūra hero, warrior Date: before 12th century 1: a building for public and especially Christian worship2: the clergy or officialdom of a religious body3often capitalized : a body or organization of religious believers: as a: the whole body of Christians b: denomination <the Presbyterian church> c: congregation 4: a public divine worship <goes to church every Sunday>5: the clerical profession <considered the church as a possible career>

The meetup doesn't fit any defintion there. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,742,928 times
Quote:
LOL....it's "atheist church!"

Guess you guys want fellowship too, huh?
Yeah yeah, mock away you sanctimonious, hypocritical arse. Very Jesus-like. You're still wrong. It's no more a church than any other secular meeting that involves people with common interests.

I belong to a running club. We meet once a week. Are we a "church" too? Nope. Neither is a meeting of people with the commonality of not believing in your childish fairy-tales.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
kdbrich,
This thread wasn't started as an anti-Christian topic, it's about people who have something in common and would like to meet others with similar feelings. Why do you feel the need to ridicule and belittle atheists?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,045,428 times
wow....you guys really need to get get some senses of humor. You say we're over-sensitive when you mock us, call us stupid, and blaspheme our God, but get all bent out of shape when I suggest this "support group" is fulfilling the same purpose that a local church body does to a believer?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kdbrich,
This thread wasn't started as an anti-Christian topic, it's about people who have something in common and would like to meet others with similar feelings. Why do you feel the need to ridicule and belittle atheists?
Because he's openly admitted in other places that he loves to come in here solely to "mock" us. A would-be pastor of his religion, no less. WWJD? Not that.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
wow....you guys really need to get get some senses of humor. You say we're over-sensitive when you mock us, call us stupid, and blaspheme our God, but get all bent out of shape when I suggest this "support group" is fulfilling the same purpose that a local church body does to a believer?
Who here from the A&A forum regularly goes deep into the Christianity forum and tries to "convert" ya'll to atheism?

You've admitted that you come here just to make fun of us. You regularly proselytize here as well. If any one of us atheists did in the Christianity forum what you do here, we'd be perma-banned so quickly we wouldn't know what hit us.

You profess to be studying to be a pastor for your religion, yet you show so many un-Jesus-like attributes. Jesus didn't mock and belittle. Jesus didn't take relish in telling people that he thought they were wrong, evil, or condemned to hell. You sir are a woefully pathetic example of your faith.

The way you act -- you're not a Christian, no matter how much you claim to be and you're certainly not doing anyone any good by being an arsehole. You need to go back and study your bible a LOT more, especially the parts with your Jesus in them. Take some notes, try to emulate your messiah, because you're sure acting like a heathen now.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Because he's openly admitted in other places that he loves to come in here solely to "mock" us. A would-be pastor of his religion, no less. WWJD? Not that.

No. I haven't said that. I'm here for the discussion, just as you guys are.

As far as "WWJD"? You are aware that Jesus openly rebuked people and referred to the pharisees as a "brood of vipers", right? If anything I'd say I'm probably being a little nicer than Jesus might do if he were posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Who here from the A&A forum regularly goes deep into the Christianity forum and tries to "convert" ya'll to atheism?
I just discuss and ask questions here. I don't prosletyze. I'm sorry if my presence here so offends you. Seriously...I just questioned the OP...I'm not making fun of or attacking anyone here.

You really should lighten up a bit.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
If anything I'd say I'm probably being a little nicer than Jesus might do if he were posting here.
I'll bet Jesus is turning over in his grave after that statement.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,149,093 times
Quote:

If he ever existed.

And yes, Christian rock bands have groupies. They just give them titles that are considered socially acceptable.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
kdbrich wrote:

At the risk of being accused of "prosletyzing"....I'll say I bet he isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism