Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM

573 posts, read 795,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post

You profess to be studying to be a pastor for your religion, yet you show so many un-Jesus-like attributes.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, Your christians are so unlike your christ." --- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,336,717 times
I have seen the shift in areas I would have never thought possible. In the Raleigh and Fayetteville, NC area we have several very active Atheist groups. I don’t think a weeks goes by without an email from one of them announcing a meeting or game night. It sure puts a new light on the identity of this being the bible belt. .

Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,522,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
wow....you guys really need to get get some senses of humor. You say we're over-sensitive when you mock us, call us stupid, and blaspheme our God, but get all bent out of shape when I suggest this "support group" is fulfilling the same purpose that a local church body does to a believer?

Major difference is that we are right

Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Major difference is that we are right

lol....yeah. if you say so.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,192,284 times
Pretty sad if your social structures need to be defined by belief. The only time I have ever had to indicate my "religion" was when conscripted to the army and on admission to hospital, both times atheist/non denominational was an option of the multiple choice.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,472,127 times
Quote:
It's a time of fellowship, right? You talk about your spiritual views (or lack thereof)?

That sounds like church.

Technically, any gathering is a "church". The greek word for it is ekklesia which means a called out group. Its even used to denote the pagan mob that went after Paul in the book of Acts.

So yes, the meetup was a church.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
I attend the North Texas Church of Freethought, and it's definitely non-theistic. Highly recommended!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
cncracer wrote:
Quote:
I have seen the shift in areas I would have never thought possible. In the Raleigh and Fayetteville, NC area we have several very active Atheist groups.
North Carolina is one of the fastest growing Southern states and there are probably alot of newcomers from the north who tend to be more liberal. I think in a few more years it's going to be very different in many parts of the South as it becomes more progressive.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,951,511 times
Quote:
It's a time of fellowship, right? You talk about your spiritual views (or lack thereof)?

That sounds like church.
WOW...I agree with kdbrich?!?! Will wonders never cease...

Yahh, this is indeed a atheists church. And watch, they will soon ex-communicate anyone who has second thoughts and thinks that maybe there is some kind of deity...

Quote:
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
-Nietzsche

So, what can we say about this atheists group...

Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,951,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Except without all the preaching, saving, tongues, gossip, crying, prostelyzing, hypocrisy, myth, and money changing hands, yeah, aside from all that, you're right.

No money? So, I guess the bigger space is going to be free some how...also, have you ever heard of Quakers "speaking in the tongues" and all that? As for gossip...can you guarantee that this godless congregation will have no gossip? Or how about the myth that science has all the answers? (cure for AIDS? I don't see one...) and as for prostelyzing... The Evangelical Atheist

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism