Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM

81 posts, read 143,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
As far as "WWJD"? You are aware that Jesus openly rebuked people and referred to the pharisees as a "brood of vipers", right? If anything I'd say I'm probably being a little nicer than Jesus might do if he were posting here.
Haha, I think the only time Jesus used any real harsh words was in the temple, toppling over the tables, which most Christians refer to as an example of righteous anger. And he didn't rebuke the Pharisees all that often actually; his most common response to them was a parable.
And as far as Jesus' kindness, if he was the loving, caring person that he is depicted in the Bible, he would probably have much wiser words than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,336,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
cncracer wrote:

North Carolina is one of the fastest growing Southern states and there are probably alot of newcomers from the north who tend to be more liberal. I think in a few more years it's going to be very different in many parts of the South as it becomes more progressive.
I agree, in our area of NC we have a mix of Asians, Europeans, and those people from “Up North” who out number the regular natives. It makes for a nice mix of cultures and as strange as it seems a much friendlier area to live in. I was raised in coastal NC where the culture was almost like a cast system based on the “Old Families”. It was a closed class culture, and in many ways the friendly southern view many visitors had, was just the facade protecting a strict social barrier.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 PM

81 posts, read 143,998 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

I have read all the gospels before. I never said that he was a "meek little doormat" though. He didn't lash out the Pharisees the majority of the time, and I'm pretty sure save for the one incident in the temple, he answered them with wise parables. You're depicting Jesus as someone who constantly rebuked the Pharisees, which he did not. I'm not saying anything against this, I think the way that Jesus responded to them was pretty cool actually, but he certainly didn't go out picking arguments with them or getting angry with them.
And just an open question, is it just me or is it a common misconception that atheists have not read the Bible? Lots of atheists are former Christians who decided they didn't believe anymore. Besides that, anyone who has ever asked a question about Christianity on the Christianity forum has probably just about read the entire Bible with all the quotes we get : D.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-29-2009 at 03:30 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
WOW...I agree with kdbrich?!?! Will wonders never cease...

Yahh, this is indeed a atheists church. And watch, they will soon ex-communicate anyone who has second thoughts and thinks that maybe there is some kind of deity...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,878,283 times
Quote:
LOL....it's "atheist church!"

Guess you guys want fellowship too, huh?
And your point would be, kd? Feelin' lonely? Don't worry; we'll take you in. It's always good to see new "members" who have truly seen the light of all lights (I'ts a 635nm wavelength laser). But also remember, in our little "church", we don't tithe, or proselytize. Well, outside of C-D, that is, where you guys like to goad us into action.

By your interpretation, that would mean that the folks who demonstrated against the Group of Seven top economic powers was a, ditto, "church", or those folks who get together to protest clubbing baby seals, or who don't want nuclear submarine bases in their state, or the affirmative action crowd. Yeah, I know Jedde' Jack-dun wants that to be a church, but try as he might, no go so far. (Not racist; just a comment about that man in particular. What a opportunistic toad! But that's another thread, 'ceptin' he claims to be a "minister"..... yikes for your side, all I gotta say 'bout that one.)

Anyone getting together to discuss a mutual interest is a church huh? Guess I better start tithing at the next Ducks Unlimited meeting, eh? Or at my next Cowboy Action Shoot. "Tithing for Ammo"! I like it!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,878,283 times
Default The Church of Latter Day "Galli" (chickens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Except without all the preaching, saving, tongues, gossip, crying, prostelyzing, hypocrisy, myth, and money changing hands, yeah, aside from all that, you're right.
right on, man/girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kdbrich,
This thread wasn't started as an anti-Christian topic, it's about people who have something in common and would like to meet others with similar feelings. Why do you feel the need to ridicule and belittle atheists?
Hmmm... good question. He surely has ripped at me a few times. Maybe he thinks I shoulda stood in front of my graduate biochemistry classes and protested the dissemination of truth?

Quote:
I just discuss and ask questions here. (snip)
You really should lighten up a bit.
Wow! You just discuss and ask questions here? Amazing. You perhaps >> 90 yrs old, and losing it a bit, kd? I think I should oughta go find some of your comments and pleasant questions and "comments" to some of my polite requests to you for, say, definitions, etc.

Nahhh.. no need to start a fight here. I'm feeling benevolent this afternoon. Besides, the group intellect of my chickens and Dottie the Wonder Cat advise against it. And they know what this universe is really about. Atheist chickens HUZZAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, Your christians are so unlike your christ." --- Mahatma Gandhi
Now THIS one I really like. If Jesus could only see what's been done in His name, he would be spinning in his grave at about 2000 rpms. No wonder the Christian Brits hated Ghandi!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 AM

45 posts, read 93,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think of it more as a support group. Many Atheists/Agnostics feel ostrasized and alone, this is giving them an opportunity to KNOW that it's okay to be a non-believer. Definitely not a place of worship...
So it's like an alcoholics anonymous meeting? lol. I have no problem with someone being a non believer. I just wonder why Athiests are so anti the practice of any religion.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,522,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward08 View Post
So it's like an alcoholics anonymous meeting? lol. I have no problem with someone being a non believer. I just wonder why Athiests are so anti the practice of any religion.
We aren't. It is the way the theists approach us and tell us that if we just try their way we will be saved for eternity. Funny how all the different sects have the same opinion of themselves.

BTW, wouldn't know about alcoholics anonymous meetings, do you have first hand knowledge?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,447,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward08 View Post
I know there are a few anti-religion atheists posting in the forum, but the majority here are not anti-religion, like myself. I just would like religion to stay out of politics, and not preach to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,364 times
Well they has much right to believe what they want and shove it in people's faces as the Christians do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism