Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Oh praaizzee be to Dawkins - er, uhm, who is he again?

Seems like you don't understand, he is not venerated like the pope is. He is NOT a deity. Just a person with an opinion.

Never heard of him till I came to this forum.

Don't you know we worship the FSM? Bless his noodlyness.

Never claimed you did worship him...but he does have a lot of groupies and he seems to speak for a lot of atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
don't you know we worship the fsm? Bless his noodlyness.:d
arrrrrgghhhh matey!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I didn't see the quote from the person that the blog is talking about. Maybe they're suggesting that they should at least consider creationism. Even Dawkins suggested that it's possible that life on earth was created (albeit by aliens, not God).

They are more than suggesting it - and that's why people continue to think that Texas is a back asswards state when it comes to education. Believe it or not, my state does not have a popular majority of Young Earth Creationists.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
They are more than suggesting it - and that's why people continue to think that Texas is a back asswards state when it comes to education. Believe it or not, my state does not have a popular majority of Young Earth Creationists.

Does majority dictate science?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,410 times
Quote:
Never claimed you did worship him...but he does have a lot of groupies and he seems to speak for a lot of atheists.
So by that logic I can call you a Ray Comforter, a Hovindite, a Hal Lindseyite... get it? All of these probably have a far larger following than what Dawkins likely has. I have not and do not intend to read his material(s).

Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Does majority dictate science?
Not at all.
Do you suddenly care about what the scientific community thinks?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Thumbs down Texas is only 6,000 years old and science is now decided by a vote.

Sadly, this has become increasingly typical of Texas "education" in recent years. The Texas GOP strongly caters to and is largely controlled by fundamental religious interests who would like nothing better than to see the state's public school system fail.

Unfortunately, the populace keeps electing the same cretins election after election.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So by that logic I can call you a Ray Comforter, a Hovindite, a Hal Lindseyite... get it? All of these probably have a far larger following than what Dawkins likely has. I have not and do not intend to read his material(s).

I honestly have never watched a Hal Lindsey video or read a book of his. I have watched a few debates of Hovind and some evolutionists on youtube...and his legal issues aside, he worked 'em over pretty well.

You can call me a Comforter...but I honestly have never read any of his books either. I'd like to meet him and shake his hand...as I think he is one of the great minds of our era....but I can't say that I really hang on his every word.

Likewise, I don't mean to imply that you are a Dawkins groupie. I apologize if I did. I do know that a lot of folks around here do think highly of him.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:50 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
I honestly have never watched a Hal Lindsey video or read a book of his. I have watched a few debates of Hovind and some evolutionists on youtube...and his legal issues aside, he worked 'em over pretty well.

You can call me a Comforter...but I honestly have never read any of his books either. I'd like to meet him and shake his hand...as I think he is one of the great minds of our era....but I can't say that I really hang on his every word.

Likewise, I don't mean to imply that you are a Dawkins groupie. I apologize if I did. I do know that a lot of folks around here do think highly of him.
I think a lot more people like you think we think highly of him, than the Atheists that actually do think highly of him. By and large unlike theists, Atheists tend not to idolize people or make them into some kind of hero or demi- god, the way you do with mister banana guy. I too never heard of Dawkins except here on this forum.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think a lot more people like you think we think highly of him...
Funny thing about that, Hal Lindsey scared the hell out of people in the 70's then again in the 80's with his "Late Great Planet Earth" and "1980s: Countdown to Armageddon" books and all his predictions contained therin. YET, here we are some 30 years later and...nothing. He was so dead wrong in his predicition, he sounds like a false prophet to me. Maybe you guys should stone him. Oops, I better not say that. The members of the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas (yes, the wonderful loving folks who picket funerals of fallen soldiers among other things) might actually do it. Aren't y'all proud of your fellow believers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism