U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM

4,381 posts, read 1,294,617 times
The OP should be pointed to every time a Christian asks why atheists/agnostics spend time debating and opposing religious belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 AM

2,088 posts, read 956,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I honestly have never watched a Hal Lindsey video or read a book of his. I have watched a few debates of Hovind and some evolutionists on youtube...and his legal issues aside, he worked 'em over pretty well.

You can call me a Comforter...but I honestly have never read any of his books either. I'd like to meet him and shake his hand...as I think he is one of the great minds of our era....but I can't say that I really hang on his every word.

Likewise, I don't mean to imply that you are a Dawkins groupie. I apologize if I did. I do know that a lot of folks around here do think highly of him.
What would qualify comfort to be one of the great minds of our era in your opinion? I can't find anywhere on the internet that states any formal education. Not even in theology. I did look up the top 100 public intellectuals of our time. Dawkins and Hitchens are up at the top. Comfort probably did not make the cut, being that he was 101.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,529,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
What would qualify comfort to be one of the great minds of our era in your opinion? I can't find anywhere on the internet that states any formal education. Not even in theology. I did look up the top 100 public intellectuals of our time. Dawkins and Hitchens are up at the top. Comfort probably did not make the cut, being that he was 101.
Let me re-phrase that. Comfort is one of the great evangelists of our time. He's a brilliant man, but I doubt that he'd consider himself to be of the type of "intellectual" that dawkins/hitchens are.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,247,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sadly, this has become increasingly typical of Texas "education" in recent years. The Texas GOP strongly caters to and is largely controlled by fundamental religious interests who would like nothing better than to see the state's public school system fail.

Unfortunately, the populace keeps electing the same cretins election after election.
I'm not sure where in the constitution it is, but, it's gotta be there someplace. You know....that line that say's "separation of church and state is not necessarily applicable to school boards."

Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM

4,381 posts, read 1,294,617 times
Quote:
Let me re-phrase that. Comfort is one of the great evangelists of our time. He's a brilliant man, but I doubt that he'd consider himself to be of the type of "intellectual" that dawkins/hitchens are.
You mean the real type? Comfort is a joke. He believes humans came about via dirt+magic!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM

24,631 posts, read 17,835,784 times
Quote:
You actually think this fool is brilliant?

YouTube - Ray Comfort on the Thom Hartmann Program 021209

Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,247,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Is there a correlation of living in the deep south with one's head firmly embedded in one's posterior?

Putting it politely.
Not really, but....... being surrounded by so many fundamentalist christers does seem to be our cross to bear.....so to speak.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 AM

307 posts, read 788,910 times
Sadly most people down here are probably unaware of these happenings. Especially if you don't have kids, you're not keeping tabs on the SBoE. And unless you read up on a few science journals or blogs, it's basically off most people's radar. And even if the unaware catch wind of it, perhaps not as passionate about science or education, they'll ultimately be resigned to letting someone else worry about it.

Texas Insider
Texas Freedom Network
YouTube - NatCen4ScienceEd's Channel

Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 AM

327 posts, read 496,899 times
What an embarrassment to the state. Why don't we go ahead and build a huge statue of George W Bush in Austin and proclaim him to be the greatest president ever while we're at it.

Part of the problem is, those of us who aren't like the stereotypical Texan aren't very vocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism