Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times

Advertisements

yes, op, i do believe ... inasmuch there "believe" is spelled in good old english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
I don't think it's possible. And I think anyone that does needs to take Mars Attacks out of their DVD player and throw it out the window. Just my 2 cents.
If it's possible once, here on earth, it's possible more than once. We may never know, and we might not recognize alternative life if we saw it, but the statistical 8-Ball says it's completely possible it's out there.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Quote:
I have no evidence of life on other planets. I haven't seen any proof for other life, therefore I have no reason to believe in it. Therefore, other life doesn't exist. Now lets go back to watching Independence Day and keep dreaming.

Do you have evidence that there isn't life on other planets? Or is your denial just a self promoted feel good moment?

Last edited by Arjay51; 05-20-2009 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
Quote:
Yes, I am. There is no other earth, there is no other human form, there is no green guys with huge black eyes that fly around our skies, there is nothing else. Zip. Nada. Doesn't exist. Any other way I can say that? We are the only ones in this universe, and that's for a reason. I don't know where the idea of other life came from, perhaps someone watched War of the Worlds too many times. But, we're the only ones here.

You would have thought if there was any "super" intelligent form out there (which there is not), they would have developed the technology to already visit us. Sorry! We are alone.
Please stop referencing War of the World's or any other ridiculous sci-fi movie. It's weak...

Now, I think you have a misunderstanding about what we're posing. Who says they are at all intelligent? Why should they have eyes? Because life evolves differently based on environment, conditions, and any number of other situationals that science is just now beginning to understand, life on other planets doesn't have to look, feel, or be interpreted in the same manner as we are. What may be life on other planets might simply be a very specialized (and what we may call base form) of swimming organism which completes its task in a relatively mundane fashion some bazillion light years away (or it could have simply been in our own galaxy. Have you any idea that they are honing in on the discovery of still-being water on other planets/moons right in our own galaxy? Are you aware of anything going around you in the science fields? And remember, just because it is LIFE does not make it exciting or worth a billion dollar Hollywood movie.

Have you taken an astronomy course? Do you understand how large the universe is and that there isn't only one? How about the immense size and nature of our galaxy, as well, as the countless others?

I'm going to guess by the sheer arrogance (as well as ignorance) of your posts, that you oppose all new thought based on your belief in religion. If this is the case, I'm not sure why you think this type of thing would have any place in the Atheism/Agnosticism forum. Instead, if you felt so inclined to participate, maybe you could actually put aside your uniquely religious beliefs for just one moment and have a real debate/conversation with non-like minded individuals like myself.

Maybe you could even branch out and think for yourself, because as it stands now, you look like you don't even know what's going on in this thread. You're but a child listening to an adult conversation without having a clue as to what it is we're talking about. If the conversation is so upsetting, maybe you should go play with the neighbor boy or we shall cover your ears as we talk? Or, little Tommy, do you think you're grown up enough to participate yet?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? With the literally millions of planets in the universe I think it is almost certain that there is life on some of them, but because of the distances involved and the limits imposed by the speed of light we may never know for sure.

i'm afraid this is outrageous, monsieur sanpeur.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 AM

133 posts, read 276,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Maybe you could even branch out and think for yourself, because as it stands now, you look like you don't even know what's going on in this thread. You're but a child listening to an adult conversation without having a clue as to what it is we're talking about. If the conversation is so upsetting, maybe you should go play with the neighbor boy or we shall cover your ears as we talk? Or, little Tommy, do you think you're grown up enough to participate yet?
I can easily reply to your long dull post by saying there is no life on other planets. There's no aliens, there's no green creatures flying around in UFO's in the sky, there's no "intelligent" beingscoming to earth abducting humans, there's no little bugs living life on another planet just hanging around - there's nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I haven't seen them. We haven't seen them. That is enough proof as is. To believe in life on other planets is to believe in the flying spaghetti monster. For example, if you consider life on other planets, why wouldn't you consider...oh, lets say, God? You can't see life on other planets, yet you consider the possibility. We have no proof of life on other planets, yet you are open to the possibility. You can't see God, but you are damn sure God isn't real.

Makes no sense. Please take Independence Day out of your VCR or DVD player immediately. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen them. We haven't seen them. That is enough proof as is. To believe in life on other planets is to believe in the flying spaghetti monster. For example, if you consider life on other planets, why wouldn't you consider...oh, lets say, God? You can't see life on other planets, yet you consider the possibility. We have no proof of life on other planets, yet you are open to the possibility. You can't see God, but you are damn sure God isn't real.
Because we have proof right under our noses that life can evolve and exist on a planet, so we know it's possible. However, nobody has ever seen anything supernatural, including gods of any flavor. Definitive proof that life can happen, not a single shred of evidence that a god can exist.

Please take the bible off your bookshelf immediately. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM

133 posts, read 276,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Because we have proof right under our noses that life can evolve and exist on a planet, so we know it's possible. However, nobody has ever seen anything supernatural, including gods of any flavor. Definitive proof that life can happen, not a single shred of evidence that a god can exist.
Sure there is proof of God but it's not my job to sit here and preach that to you. However, there is no green creatures that come to earth and abduct humans, there's no bugs out there with 1000 legs that inhabit their own planet, there's no planet earth the 2nd with humans like us living on it, the government is not secretly hiding intelligent life from us, there was no aliens at roswell, there isn't anything else out there at all. The universe is large like my room is large, but from one side of my room to the other nothing in there except my bed inbetween. Nothing exists outside of my bed except space, air, etc. Our universe is large and has multiple beds, but only humans inhabit one bed.

I could understand your arguement if we were living in the 1st century, however, we are living in the 21st century today. Mars Attacks, War of the Worlds, are all fake, and there's no creatures out there like shown in those movies, and there isn't even a single form of life out there besides ours, for a simple reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Please take the bible off your bookshelf immediately. Thank you for your time.
Okay, as long as you take your movies out first.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Sure there is proof of God but it's not my job to sit here and preach that to you.
No there's not any proof.

Quote:
However, there is no green creatures that come to earth and abduct humans,
Where did I say there were? Please quote me (oh, that's right -- you can't)

Quote:
there's no bugs out there with 1000 legs that inhabit their own planet, there's no planet earth the 2nd with humans like us living on it,
Nobody knows what extraterrestrial life would look like, it's all speculation. As far as the bugs with 1000 legs -- well, we have insects on this planet with as many as 750 legs, a couple hundred more wouldn't be so outrageous.

Quote:
the government is not secretly hiding intelligent life from us, there was no aliens at roswell,
Again, quote me where I said that these statements are what I believe.

Quote:
there isn't anything else out there at all.
There was a time when nobody thought there was water on Mars, either.

Quote:
The universe is large like my room is large, but from one side of my room to the other nothing in there except my bed inbetween. Nothing exists outside of my bed except space, air, etc.
Certainly there's no intelligent life in that room.

Quote:
Our universe is large and has multiple beds, but only humans inhabit one bed.
Probabilities say you're not rolling with the house odds.

Quote:
I could understand your arguement if we were living in the 1st century,
Says someone who relies on the bible as fact? See, now you're just trying to be a comedian. Don't quit your day job.

Quote:
however, we are living in the 21st century today.
Well, you got one thing right in your little ranty bits here.

Quote:
Mars Attacks, War of the Worlds, are all fake, and there's no creatures out there like shown in those movies,
Earth to slashy, nobody here is saying they believe those movies are real. You're the only one that keeps bringing them up.

Quote:
and there isn't even a single form of life out there besides ours, for a simple reason!
Something here is simple all right.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
It's clear he/she isn't ready to join the adults. I had a good laugh at the regurgitating reply. I'm done now, though. This type of ignorance only spawns frustration and it isn't worth it. G'day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism