Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,340,761 times

Advertisements

Here in Florida we recently had a Catholic priest caught kissing his girlfriend on the beach. He has left the Catholic church and joined the Episcapalian church.

The Catholic church seems MORE upset about this then they are there pedophile scandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,690,707 times
I read the report about abuse in the Irish catholic church, The report used the word "endemic" to discribe the regime of sexual, mental & physical abuse carried out by these deviant priests, nuns & laypeople of the catholic church since the 1930s.

The fact that the church knew about these abuses and covered them up comes as no surprise to anyone anymore. If any of these children complained about their treatment they were thrashed ( as one woman put it) for daring to say such a thing about a person of God, and she swears that they enjoyed doing it.

I bet no one faces any kind of retribution for this, the arch bishop of Dublin said it made his stomach churn when he read the report, I'll bet it did.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:03 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,378,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I read the report about abuse in the Irish catholic church, The report used the word "endemic" to discribe the regime of sexual, mental & physical abuse carried out by these deviant priests, nuns & laypeople of the catholic church since the 1930s.

The fact that the church knew about these abuses and covered them up comes as no surprise to anyone anymore. If any of these children complained about their treatment they were thrashed ( as one woman put it) for daring to say such a thing about a person of God, and she swears that they enjoyed doing it.

I bet no one faces any kind of retribution for this, the arch bishop of Dublin said it made his stomach churn when he read the report, I'll bet it did.
Your post is the exact reason I said that the behavior is part of their culture, and this has been going on for generations.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:58 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,340,761 times
[quote=albion;9051095]I read the report about abuse in the Irish catholic church, The report used the word "endemic" to discribe the regime of sexual, mental & physical abuse carried out by these deviant priests, nuns & laypeople of the catholic church since the 1930s.

I bet no one faces any kind of retribution for this, the arch bishop of Dublin said it made his stomach churn when he read the report, I'll bet it did.[/quote]

Your assuming that he didn't already know about it. The Catholic church will do anything to hide their sins, including leaving people in these kinds of situations, allowing it to continue, becoming an accessory after the fact.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
. The Catholic church will do anything to hide their sins, including leaving people in these kinds of situations, allowing it to continue, becoming an accessory after the fact.
So sad. They deserve a special place in hell.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 AM

I agree with you dcashley, after all these poor abused victims certainly spent their time in hell.

My Irish relatives have told me that the catholic church's influence over the goverment of southern Ireland was extensive, they had carte blanch to do or conceal anything.

Women who became pregnant outside of wedlock often had their children taken from them & the mothers were placed in workhouses, where the fear of god was beaten into them by the sadists who ran the institution.

What sort of religion would turn a blind eye to the kind of abuses that have left people scarred for life?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I agree with you dcashley, after all these poor abused victims certainly spent their time in hell.

My Irish relatives have told me that the catholic church's influence over the goverment of southern Ireland was extensive, they had carte blanch to do or conceal anything.

Women who became pregnant outside of wedlock often had their children taken from them & the mothers were placed in workhouses, where the fear of god was beaten into them by the sadists who ran the institution.

What sort of religion would turn a blind eye to the kind of abuses that have left people scarred for life?

I can't answer your question--it hurts my soul to think that this kind of stuff has been going on for generations, "in the name of God."

Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 AM

I came across a recent article by the irish Bishop Pat Buckley.

He was interviewed after a story appeared in the newspapers concerning a 73 year old priest who had just had a child by his 31 year old girl friend.

Bishop Buckley said that 1 in 10 of the 5,000 catholic priests in Ireland enjoyed regular sex with women, and even referred to their clerical collar as a " Bird Catcher ".

When the statistics were widened to take in practising homosexuals, Bishop Buckley said that up to 40% of the Irish catholic clergy were sexually active

The Bishop has declared himself to be gay but was not in a relationship when this interview took place.

The hypocrisy of the catholic church truely knows no bounds. they preach abstinence outside of wedlock yet ignore it with abandon.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,865,085 times
It's not the adults who have engaged in sex with clergy OR the sexual orientation of the clergy that bothers me so much in that, whilst I realize in some cases this kind of sexual activity can still be abuse, it is on face value between consenting adults regardless the church's view on priests and abstinence.

It's the pedophiles and child abusers in the ranks that sicken and enrage me and the church's whitewashing and denials in that regard.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 AM

The report said that 500 priests were involved over the years.

Deviant priests were as wolves in the fold, abuseing children without fear of discovery or punishment, in fact they were protected by the church who just sent them to another parish to abuse new victims.

This is not conjecture, this is fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism