Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times

Advertisements

Richmonder27: If that isn't proselytizing, I don't know what it. Please see the sticky referring to this.

Puddy4Lyf: Great post. Most atheists don't categorically state that there is no god, only that there is insufficient evidence to believe in one, let alone a dogmatic religion built around a particular one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,326 times
your reading too deep into it, man

Athiest don't believe in gods. Period.

Christians do. Period.

Thats all there is to it.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
God is LOVE. He LOVES YOU. He never forces his love on people, though. If you choose not to be with God, then that is your own free will.
Would you not consider that the action of free thought? Making a choice on the subject invalidates your premise.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
Believers can't grasp the fact that we absolutely, 100% do not believe.
The proof of that is in the questions you are asking Atheists.
What is so hard to understand about we.do.not.believe?
The way you are looking at it is that God absolutely exists...and we are just lost souls.
Freedom of thinking refers to the fact that we don't lock ourselves in to living a life by a book of rules that we don't believe is relevent.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:26 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Its interesting you mention the word "religious". Religion is not God. Thats man made stuff. Jesus Christ detested the religious Pharisees.
But see, that alone is part of the problem. If you separate god from the religion, the question then still must be asked, "Which god?" By assuming that the Christian god is indeed god, then you are still stuck in religion! Why? Because it excludes Allah, Yahweh (despite what you people say, the Jewish god is a different god than the Christian god -- a little research into this will shake the foundations of everything you've been told and believed), the Hindu godhead, the plethora of aboriginal gods, etc. You can't separate religion from god because of this.

Quote:
God is truth and love. Jesus his son died for our sins, and was witnessed by hundreds of people.
That is religion because it is based on a doctrine -- the doctrine of Jesus' crucifixion. That it was ostensibly witnessed is irrelevant. Hundreds of people have witnessed all kinds of metaphysical things. If we are to take eye-witness accounts as proof of anything, then we are logically forced to accept as real the Loch Ness monster, UFOs and the Greek gods.

Quote:
You wont find God in Religion. Being a Christian is not about being religious. Its about seeking truth and God's love and wisdom and passing his wonderful message on to others. Not hating or judging people for their lack of faith or belief.
This is back to the same premise. Merely stating "Being a Christian' is back to religion, because it is based on a doctrine. It automatically discounts the possibility that Allah, Yahweh or Brahma might actually be god.

Quote:
That is why I pose this question. I am just curious how you can be a free thinker if you close the door on God?
To expand on what Puddy4lyF already explained about "strong atheists" versus "weak atheists", I am an agnostic. Like our atheistic brothers and sisters, agnostics come in different flavors.

Agnostic Atheists - those who believe that it is very improbable that a deity exists

Agnostic Theists - those who believe that a deity probably exists

Empirical Agnostics - Believe that God may exist, but that little or nothing can be known about him/her/it/them

Agnostic Humanists - undecided about the existence of God. Further, they do not really consider the question to be particularly important. They have derived their moral and behavioral codes from secular considerations. Their ethical behavior would not be altered if a deity were proven to exist.Some agnostics who feel the need for religious discussion, fellowship, or ritual join a congregation of the Unitarian-Universalist Association or an Ethical Culture group

I personally fall somewhere between the Agnostic theist and Empirical agnostics. I think there may be a god, but I have no idea of what it is and await some concrete proof of what it is. I think if it does exist it would have to be so powerful that it is beyond the scope of human understanding.

For me, Darwin said it best in his book "Life and Letters" about his personal faith:

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."
"I think an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind. The whole subject [of God] is beyond the scope of man's intellect."

Source:Agnosticism

Freethinking simply states that we base thought on science, logic and reason. For those of us (agnostics or atheists) who consider the possibility of a god, we reject orthodoxy, doctrine and dogma. That is what Freethinking is about. Freethinking does not automatically discount the possibility of a god.

Quote:
The Bible says we are not of this world- but we do LIVE IN this world. It simply means don't live the lies and hate of the fallen world and harden your heart.
This once again falls back to religion because it relies on a book written by men. How do you know that the Koran is not the truth source of the mind of god? You believe the Bible is the source, but you cannot know. Two different things.

Quote:
God is LOVE. He LOVES YOU. He never forces his love on people, though. If you choose not to be with God, then that is your own free will.
Demonstration please. Parents makes it clear in a concrete, observable way that they are the parent to a child and that they love that child. This god, whatever it may be, does not do that. My children don't have to have "faith" in me, except to believe that I have their best interests in my heart. My clear observable actions demonstrate this to them. The Christian god, like all other gods, does not do this. Your book says that your god is not a god of confusion. I argue that it is or there would not be so much variety in faiths among different cultures or even division among Christians themselves. The whole concept that "Satan" introduced confusion into the world is silly at best (BTW, the Jewish Satan and the Christian Satan are VERY different fellows - I challenge you to research this). If some other adult came to my children and tried convince them that they were indeed their father, wouldn't I make it clear (in a concrete and observable way) that no, I am their father? Of course I would! I wouldn't sit in the background and hope they come around and start believing that I am their father. I wouldn't wait for them to read it in some book or have someone they don't know to tell them. The premise is ridiculous!

This god of yours, does not do this. It must not be much of a father or has rendered itself impotent to its supposed adversary. It could stop all this by coming down and making it clear in an observable and concrete fashion, just like a human parent would. If there is a god/force/whatever it seems as it is more along the lines of what the Deists believe -- the "Watchmaker" god. But being an agnostic....I just don't know.

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-24-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
The OP doesn't even make any sense. If you don't believe that God even exists then it's self evident that a non existent entity doesn't have any love to be open to. I do consider myself to be a free thinker and also a rational thinker and little common sense inconsistencies just kind of jump out at me.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
curtailed question, briefed message?
return to sender: address unknown!

more details in an updated version? hey op!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
Freethinkers form their beliefs and opinions based on reason and critical inquiry. Religious belief isn't reasonable since it isn't based on demonstrative evidence. Believers may have a feeling that god exists, that doesn't mean they can objectively prove their god exists. Atheists aren't closed minded to the belief in god, believers just don't have any decent arguments based on verifiable evidence so there's no reason to believe that a god exists. Atheists are freethinkers because their beliefs are formed by facts and reason rather than tradition or dogma.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Atheists aren't closed minded to the belief in god, believers just don't have any decent arguments based on verifiable evidence so there's no reason to believe that a god exists.
And let's not forget that many atheists and agnostics were once Christians, so it's not like they've always kept their minds closed to the idea. When I was a Christian, the only point of view I knew was that of a Christian. Now, as an atheist, I can see things from more than one point of view, and make my decisions accordingly. And a Christian who was once an atheist could say the same thing.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
[quote=catman;8955662]Richmonder27: If that isn't proselytizing, I don't know what it. Please see the sticky referring to this.

Was he/she trying to convert anyone? Or merely questioning the ability of a person to think rationally?

Quote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just curious . If they have made up their minds that God doesnt exist, then how can they be open to His love?

The problem is, a lot of what Atheists believe is not any different than what most other Atheists believe. So in a sense, they really aren't free thinkers, they think just like everyone else that thinks as they do.

So if they see a person who has spiritual convictions of any kind- how does that make them necessarily closed minded? If you have found what you believe to be true in your heart, why does that mean you cant be open to hear other points of view?

What I feel in my heart, is not limited to my mind. But I just don't see how Atheists can be free thinkers if they shut the door on our Lord. They just follow the ways and thinking patterns of our worldly Godless society.

Most of them that I've seen around here aren't very open to free thinking. This board is more about patting each other on the back as they make fun of religion than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism