Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM

327 posts, read 755,211 times

Advertisements

I don't really care. As others have already stated; it's a waste of time, but it's not gonna hurt anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I would if they asked on the A&A forum, could care less if on their forum.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I would if they asked on the A&A forum, could care less if on their forum.
Yeah, but it's posted in a City forum. Just interesting, because anything that's "off topic" of city info gets deleted or moved, but apparently prayer requests are just fine. (And yep, I reported it, earlier this afternoon. To no avail, it's still there.)

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
And I was just pointing out that many folks also believe that your prayers are futile. Someone without "faith" may feel comforted by the support of others in times of need.

Don't worry your pretty little head about me being overly sensitive! I just found your comment amusing! (And a bit typical.)

But I thought this was the forum for Atheism & Agnosticism? Did I misunderstand that? Or do some "Christians" only come onto this forum to start trouble?
Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't post a prayer request in this forum, or really in any forum that wasn't overtly Christian.

Anyway...I come in here because I like to interact with non-Christians. You're welcome to come into the Christian forum anytime you'd like.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't post a prayer request in this forum, or really in any forum that wasn't overtly Christian.

Anyway...I come in here because I like to interact with non-Christians. You're welcome to come into the Christian forum anytime you'd like.
LOL!!! Thanx for the invite, but I wasted too many years amongst them in my "cult" days, don't need any more time than what I'm exposed to in my regular daily life anyway.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
The prayer request thread is for anyone regardless of religion, belief or non belief.The OP says it is for any "world view"...Lots of people ask for good wishes or Karma as a request..I have seen prayer requests in other forums here..There is one in Other Topics and I have never seen anyone act offended..
A few Atheists over the past couple of years have asked for good thoughts and even for prayer if the person they are making the request for has a belief in God..Sometimes it just helps one to know that they can connect with others who will be sympathetic, or who they know will offer a comforting word in times of great stress or pain...Friends (even cyber friends) are very important to many people..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I don't get offended by someone posting a prayer request. If it makes them happy, fine.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no i get offended when someone posts that they are offended by pray requests.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
why should embarrassment be offensive when it can be so obviously funny?
(imho)

Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
If someone starts a thread for a "prayer request" in a forum other than the "Religion" or even more accurately "Christian" forum, does it offend you? Am I just being callous? I wonder if a Wiccan prayer request, or an Atheist "good thoughts request" would be offend the Christians?
I know that there are some Christians out there who genuinely do want the best for everyone, and if they think that that is via prayer, then great. even If I think it is in vane to pray, I at least applaud them for trying to do some good.

On the other hand, when christians said they wanted to pray for me, it has usually been because I didn't see it their way, and they are praying for god to show me the light. This little act, I dispise, with a passion. I find it very sanctimonious and self righteous. It stemms from a religious tactic that I dispise more than anything, and that is the tactic of spouting some religion and using it to artificially put them in a higher spot. This is especially common when morals are being discussed. All they have to do is lather up some prayer or verse and just like that, they are on higher ground, at least in their heads.

So in short, if they want to genuinley pray for some betterment - fine, I'll actually appreciate the effort. But if they pray to be insulting and belittling, I am going to be insulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism