U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
Reputation: 4125

Advertisements

Just thought I would summarize all arguments I've ever gotten from religious people arguing for religion. Feel free to add any of your own.

And "thank God" I moved to Seattle. Religious nutjobs here are in the extreme minority (most are still religious, but don't wear it on their sleeve).

"Hi! Do you believe in God?"

"No."

1. "Well you should! The Bible tells us he exists and did all these great things!"

"Does any other accepted, historically accurate, and unedited book proclaim the same thing?"

2. "No, but the Bible does!"

"The Bible is not historically accurate, is full of logical fallacies / loopholes, contradictions, does not provide proof that miracles were performed nor of Jesus Christ's existence, and besides, there's many 'Bibles' out there, which one should I read?"

3. "Um, well, just read the Bible and experience life man! God said the Bible is His record! It says so in the Bible!"

"I have read it, came to my own conclusion, looked for other historically proven records, never found anything in any of the religious texts to be corroborated in other independent sources, and have rejected it. I am experiencing life, to the fullest of my capability of rational thought and fun, as a human. "

Follow-on Statements that usually follow:

"YOU'RE GOING TO HELL BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!"
Me: "Cool! Sounds like a lot more fun there, and I'd rather have Satan than a despotic, bipolar God."

Q: "Why don't you just believe, it can't hurt!"
A: "Well there's something like 3,000 religions in the world, what are the odds you are right? I'll keep living how I want to, I'd just as soon not adopt your view, I'll probably be wrong anyway."

Q: "Have you really thought about this?"
A: "Yes. Have you?"

Rebuttal from smart ones: "Well see Jesus is like the Triple Point of water ... " (or quote some arcane fact that normal intelligence people trip up on)

Rebuttal to the rebuttal: "Yeah, and gravity distorts spacetime in a predictable fashion as shown by science. What's your point?"

 
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
3,334 posts, read 5,260,050 times
Reputation: 2056
Haha..add to it:

"I was a drunk, heroin using, sex-crazed, internet porn addicted, heavy metal dude. Then I found Jesus and I stopped being a loser. See what he did for me? Jesus is the truth. He can set you free too." Moderator cut: deleted as offensive

Last edited by june 7th; 06-10-2009 at 07:31 PM..
 
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,261,431 times
Reputation: 670
I like the ones where people say "Have you found Jesus yet?" Guess they were playing hide and seek and need to be shown His hiding place!!

Most of the one's I run into though just ask if I want their flyer.

Once, these JW's came to my work because our office is in a house and I was doing extra work landscaping on a Saturday. Before they even said anything, I saw the bible and knew who they were. I just said what my beliefs are, they looked at each other really funny, then left. They didn't say a word!
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
 
Location: East Coast U.S.
1,513 posts, read 1,433,355 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Just thought I would summarize all arguments I've ever gotten from religious people arguing for religion. Feel free to add any of your own.

And "thank God" I moved to Seattle. Religious nutjobs here are in the extreme minority (most are still religious, but don't wear it on their sleeve).

"Hi! Do you believe in God?"

"No."

1. "Well you should! The Bible tells us he exists and did all these great things!"

"Does any other accepted, historically accurate, and unedited book proclaim the same thing?"

2. "No, but the Bible does!"

"The Bible is not historically accurate, is full of logical fallacies / loopholes, contradictions, does not provide proof that miracles were performed nor of Jesus Christ's existence, and besides, there's many 'Bibles' out there, which one should I read?"

3. "Um, well, just read the Bible and experience life man! God said the Bible is His record! It says so in the Bible!"

"I have read it, came to my own conclusion, looked for other historically proven records, never found anything in any of the religious texts to be corroborated in other independent sources, and have rejected it. I am experiencing life, to the fullest of my capability of rational thought and fun, as a human. "

Follow-on Statements that usually follow:

"YOU'RE GOING TO HELL BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!"
Me: "Cool! Sounds like a lot more fun there, and I'd rather have Satan than a despotic, bipolar God."

Q: "Why don't you just believe, it can't hurt!"
A: "Well there's something like 3,000 religions in the world, what are the odds you are right? I'll keep living how I want to, I'd just as soon not adopt your view, I'll probably be wrong anyway."

Q: "Have you really thought about this?"
A: "Yes. Have you?"

Rebuttal from smart ones: "Well see Jesus is like the Triple Point of water ... " (or quote some arcane fact that normal intelligence people trip up on)

Rebuttal to the rebuttal: "Yeah, and gravity distorts spacetime in a predictable fashion as shown by science. What's your point?"

I'm not into religion.

There are many life/world view questions that atheism/agnosticism cannot answer. I find the arguments of atheists/agnostics to be primarily based on dogmatic nonsense "reasoning."
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,744,408 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
I'm not into religion.
I'm the same way. Oh wait, you mean you don't recognize or worship any deities, right?

Quote:
There are many life/world view questions that atheism/agnosticism cannot answer. I find the arguments of atheists/agnostics to be primarily based on dogmatic nonsense "reasoning."
Here's one argument made by one atheist/agnostic (me) that is not based on any dogma or, um, "nonsense reasoning":

There are many "life/world view" questions that simply cannot be answered. Not by anybody.
 
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: East Coast U.S.
1,513 posts, read 1,433,355 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Oh wait, you mean you don't recognize or worship any deities, right?


No. Christianity is not a religion - it's a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Here's one argument made by one atheist/agnostic (me) that is not based on any dogma or, um, "nonsense reasoning":

There are many "life/world view" questions that simply cannot be answered. Not by anybody.


Fair enough I suppose.

Christianity has the most sensible answers to all my life/world view questions.
 
Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
Reputation: 4125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
I'm not into religion.

There are many life/world view questions that atheism/agnosticism cannot answer. I find the arguments of atheists/agnostics to be primarily based on dogmatic nonsense "reasoning."
I'm not into it either. It's twisted so many otherwise well meaning people into hateful bigots. Far more people have been killed in the name of God, Allah, Jehova, etc. than for individual idealogues.

dogmatic nonsense "reasoning" Please explain.

Religion was created as an ancient way of explaining the universe. When logic and reason and science started forming a rationale behind this great big soup we all live in, religion morphed into a "more logical" statement of holistic existence rather than discrete mythicism. It also resonated with the underclass and the oppressed so it was widely accepted.

Today, religion does nothing more than form a framework for living. I can't argue against using it as a tool for forcing marginally intelligent people who otherwise would be causing trouble to behave. But to force everyone to believe it ... nuh uh. I can behave on my own.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,485,304 times
Reputation: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post

No. Christianity is not a religion - it's a person.



Fair enough I suppose.

Christianity has the most sensible answers to all my life/world view questions.
Just stating that doesn't make it true, and it most certainly does not convert anyone. Have you really thought about what it means to say christianity is the most sensible answer? From other threads, you've shown that you refuse to let yourself.

This is the common "argument for religion" that is not an argument at all: stating something as true without support.

But of course, you are just picking an answer without a good basis for it. An uneducated guess, since you can't study it in the way you (or professionals) would study anything else you trust your life on.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 AM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,532,453 times
Reputation: 586
tigermax just posted another argument horribly overused by Christians/Muslims:

"My religion [claims to] have all the answers"
 
Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,974,576 times
Reputation: 5074
If Christianity has the most sensible answers to tigermax24's questions, he's not asking the right questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top