Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Actually, I did a search as well right after I posted to the thread and couldn't find anything either except a few about God that weren't irreverant and the one about grey hair which I find delightful.

I too find it a bit hard to believe but if it's true, I will lose respect for him.
Same here, if he said that. Yes God does have a sense of humor but this is disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Unless I hear the source, read it and hear it from Cosby's lips, I wouldn't judge him, nor spread this quote around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I have great respect for Bill Cosby and like ontheroad I have heard his God jokes and I think he does them with respect.
God has a sense of HUMOR and Christians are known to put Him in their comedy routines with out being offensive.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by agnostic...I mean for the purposes of this thread? I'm not sure whether or not my beliefs count so I'll only add them if they do.
Agnostic = you do not care about religion. It means you are basically indifferent.

Being agnostic is "great". You really have nothinhg to live for, no hope of life after death... all you do is in vain, so why even bother?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Then how does Criss Angel and David Blaine levitate and do all those other whatchamacallits?

If those guys were around 2,000 years ago, we'd have religions based on them today.
What about David Copperfield!! I actually like watching him!!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Agnostic = you do not care about religion. It means you are basically indifferent.
No. Being an agnostic DOES NOT mean you are indifferent. The meaning of the word is that you don't know. Gnostic=to know (or really, having knowledge); 'a'-non- or lack of.

Agnostics are not indifferent. If they were indifferent they wouldn't wonder about the existence of God at all.

Have you read the thread?

Also, I see an AWFUL lot of, "If there's no heaven and hell, why should people bother being good?" statements--from Christians. This boggles my mind. What do you mean, 'why bother'? Because life is better when you're NOT killing or raping anyone and when you're not cheating on your spouse. Because it makes other people happier when you're not a maniac. Are some Christians really that indifferent to their fellow humans that if it weren't without the direct threat of hell, they'd do whatever they wanted? Because I mean this is where this idea is coming from on this thread. Christians.

It's kind of shocking.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-15-2007 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

Being agnostic is "great". You really have nothinhg to live for, no hope of life after death... all you do is in vain, so why even bother?
Agnosticism DOES NOT MEAN that you don't care about religion. Sure some don't, but I'm agnostic because I just can't find any proof that God exists, and that is what I need. I deeply care about religion and research it a lot. Stop making generalizations.

EDIT: JerZ said it better than me above.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM

436 posts, read 681,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No. Being an agnostic DOES NOT mean you are indifferent. The meaning of the word is that you don't know. Gnostic=to know (or really, having knowledge); 'a'-non- or lack of.

Agnostics are not indifferent. If they were indifferent they wouldn't wonder about the existence of God at all.

Have you read the thread?

Also, I see an AWFUL lot of, "If there's no heaven and hell, why should people bother being good?" statements--from Christians. This boggles my mind. What do you mean, 'why bother'? Because life is better when you're NOT killing or raping anyone and when you're not cheating on your spouse. Because it makes other people happier when you're not a maniac. Are some Christians really that indifferent to their fellow humans that if it weren't without the direct threat of hell, they'd do whatever they wanted? Because I mean this is where this idea is coming from on this thread. Christians.

It's kind of shocking.
Good reply. Some of us really appreciate your comments. As I always like to say (in this, or in a slight variation of the following), "..to live a moral life doing as little harm to others as possible without the expectation of any reward for doing so."

Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
What about David Copperfield!! I actually like watching him!!
LOL! forgot about him, wildberries61!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:17 PM

345 posts, read 203,476 times
"To know that yu know what you know and to know that you do not know what you do not know is true knowledge" Confucious

"If you believe there is no god and there is no god...you die.
If you believe there is no god and there is a God ...you die.
If you believe there is a God and there is no god...you die.
If you believe there is a God and there is a God...you live. " KAINTUCK
You die eternally... or... you live eternally...
Gambling man that I am...
I'm gonna stick with the twenty five per cent on that call.

Yea baby! Works every time for me!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
My definition of Agnostic.... the belief of a greater or higher form of spiritual being. No affiliation to other religions. Belief that every living thing on earth has a certain spiritual energy. Draw your own conclusion.
That's pretty cool, brikag. I talked about this today with my godfather. Actually my conversation was more towards a similar thread in which we were discussing hell. But the gist of my beliefs is I only KNOW for certain there were a great many wise men from a great many cultures who knew nothing of christianity. And I refuse to believe heaven is a "private party" reserved for one sect, denomination, or belief. God is too great a God to do that.

I believe the men in the orange robes can commune with the elderly spiritual men of my tribe and never pass judgement on each others beliefs. That is what I believe. We call god "The Great Mystery Creator".

JerZ, you are alright. I could not give you any reps, someone must've snuck in to my computer and gave you rep points, because the CD FORUM gods will not allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism