Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times

Advertisements

There are two things I mentally ignore.
On this site, it is anything having to do with a real estate area that I have no knowledge of. Everything else, I am willing to look at, because everything is not always what you think it is and you never know how it will strike you.
In every day life, I tune out screaming children and barking dogs until I hear a note that doesn't belong there, then I am out the door immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
monotonous contemplation of my navel while forever stomping on ground zero.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Mainly something that is just preaching without any real case to make.

I don't think that pink font or a mass of icons or poor spelling/grammer sets off my ignore, though it can make a post it hard to read.

A list of links without content does activate my ignore...usually. It is my fixed rule that a poster has to make their case, not just give me a load of links where I am supposed to do his evangelical work for him.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
When theists ignore the rules of this forum and continually post their religious tracts in the A&A forum, then get angry when this is pointed out. In addition, the ones who blantly do this and then deny that they are doing so.
I'll second that !!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
This is not a naming thread. I'm sure it would get shut-down if names are mentioned.

With that being said, I find that I habitually ignore some people's posts on the R&P forum. If I see their name, my mind glazes over and my mental ignore button is triggered. Here's what triggers my ignore button:

-Long posts that make absolutely no sense. Long posts aren't necessarily bad but the combination of long and no sense forces my scroll finger into over-drive.

-Atrocious grammar. I'm not the grammar police but barely legible posts are a big turn-off. We all make mistakes but I will not try to decipher someone's post.

-Ellipse abuse. Ellipse's are a rare and precious commodity. Save some for the rest of us.

-Emoticon abuse. Give the little feller's a break. If used sparingly, they work. If used excessively, they distract.

-Font color abuse. Pick a legible color and stick with it. Changing font color to make a point distracts me from your point.

-Excessive quoting from the bible. I don't believe in your bible but I don't have a problem with one or two verses. If more than a couple of verses are posted I immediately head-desk.

-Excessive linkage to other sites. I have nothing against providing sites for evidence but at least try to add your own content to the post.

-Track record of arrogance and being close-minded.

That's mah list. A person has to be a habitual offender before I'll mentally ignore them.

What are yours? Do you ignore some posters?
I ignore a lot of them. The ones who can't make a serious post, and everything is a big joke to them. They think they are being witty. But they just come off as not-so-bright.

I love humor, but when they purposely wreck a thread by their stupid comments, no one can have a good discussion.

They do it on purpose to frustrate others, that's how boring their lives are.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
What causes the mental ignore button? Hmmm. Let's see, people who appear to take themselves and this board way too seriously will do it.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Anyone that posts questions, starting like: Is it safe? I'm moving to wherever and I'm wondering is there a really safe area in that city to live?
I'm traveling to wherever and was wondering if it's really a safe place to travel to? Anything to do with safe, safe, safe.

On a recent post of someone asking about a safe place to live in a particular city, I looked up the addresses of the cemetaries in that city and posted some of those addresses. And I didn't add LOL at the end either. Let them go there and discover it for themselves.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times
You know, I don't mind the religious posters, but whenever I try to offer my opinion on the forum, I am really happy that this is just on line and not in person because I sometimes think they will shoot me. Some people need to leave their arrogance and their ignorance at home before they come to the party

Old 06-23-2009, 03:14 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
You know, I don't mind the religious posters, but whenever I try to offer my opinion on the forum, I am really happy that this is just on line and not in person because I sometimes think they will shoot me. Some people need to leave their arrogance and their ignorance at home before they come to the party
True. I so often post something then look at it next day and think "..Jesus, I sound arrogant.."

Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM

20 posts, read 17,783 times
People that actually seriously threaten others on here like they can really do anything to ya. Thats just the peak of stupidity to me.

I ignore it and at the same time am fascinated by it. What goes thru someone's mind on here that makes them think it means anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism