Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Same difference.

Not really. One is a dead relative...the other is the Supreme Creator of the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

158 posts, read 472,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Not really. One is a dead relative...the other is the Supreme Creator of the universe.
I believe the parallel that's trying to be made is they are both fictional. A fictional character in a fictional world is still fictional at the end of the day regardless of what you wish to call them.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
....NOT!

Just wanted to cause stir my fellow atheists up a bit with the title lol

Don't even bother responding if you're not atheist

But while we're on the subject, I find it funny how someone like Barry Bonds (we all know he juiced so lets not go debating it) wears the cross and would point up at the sky to "God" after hitting all those HR's and breaking the HR record. As if "God" gave him the strength to do it lol....I remember hearing him one time in an interview shortly after how he said his faith in "God" gave him the strength to set the new record.

What do my fellow atheists and agnostics think?
I think god is way too involved with sports.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Is Barry pointing to God? I always thought he was pointing to a relative that died and was "giving him strength".
So is this dead relative in outer space?
I've always thought that putting religion into sports seems foolish. I know that sometimes a high school football team will get together and say a little prayer before a game. What are they thinking? Is God a football fan and maybe he'll give their quarterback a little edge so he can throw a perfect pass and win the game?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Wrong. One is an imaginary being who never existed, and the other no longer exists by virtue of having died.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,166 times
Christians are not perfect, just forgiven.

That gives them a ton of latitude to do many horrendous things...

See: Dick Cheney

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
I have a cousin, he is still my cousin, he died at 16. He is real, even if he is dead he is still real. God is a myth, by definition, not real. The creation myth some folks blame on this mythological god is also a myth, Some say he also had a son, also mythological who, with no supporting evidence but the book that they want us to believe in, also died, not in a car wreck. Their book has all sorts of people breaking physical law, or, at least claiming to, no proof mind you, just allegation from thousands of years ago, conveniently, there were no newspapers or obits available for the events. Actually they made up a whole lot of stuff about this mythological dude and work very hard at convincing each other that they really do believe in this stuff. Personally, I would much rather have my cousin back than have to listen to the rantings of the believers of mythology.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I don't see any difference between having faith and having hope.
As long as I have hope I'll continue on so in that regards faith works for me.
So you'll never hear me say that I've faith that it will be all right, because I simple don't know if this is true.
I'll only say 'have faith' or 'I hope everything works out'.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Hey I had faith once that kdbrich would respect others.
Once again, faith did not work.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
....NOT!

Just wanted to cause stir my fellow atheists up a bit with the title lol
Not funny, I saw the heading and bristled up ready to bite someone and post a protest. Now I am just stuck with all that frustration, and looking for something or someone to bite here at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism