U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Arizona
222 posts, read 501,795 times
Reputation: 92

Advertisements

Somebody gave an argument to me: You are the member of a hate group because "Skeptic society bash religious people".
Is it true, or not? What should we do in order to make Atheist image better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Somebody gave an argument to me: You are the member of a hate group because "Skeptic society bash religious people".
Is it true, or not? What should we do in order to make Atheist image better?
Really? Then I guess most religions are also hate groups by that definition. Not only do they bash Atheists, but also any belief that differs from their own. By the way saying that you think someone is wrong is not hate.

This is hate.... Westboro Baptist Church Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,303 posts, read 1,805,458 times
Reputation: 710
Whenever atheist start violently lynching others for their beliefs, bombing churches, trying to pass laws that state religious folks are half human, and taking away their basic rights as human beings, then you can get back to me about an atheist group being a hate group.

Simply because I believe what religious folks believe is a bunch of crap doesn't make me some radical, hate-filled christian basher.

It's the tired old you're-intolerant-because-you-don't-agree-with-me argument that we've only heard a million times before.

There's nothing you can do to make atheist look better in the eyes of believers. If the nicest guy in the world were to come out of the closet as an atheist, they'd automatically assume nearly every awful thing about him in the book. Just look at some of the dumb comments made by believers here at City Data for examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 PM
 
1,634 posts, read 3,332,050 times
Reputation: 537
In answer to the OP, it would be good to present a good first impression. Such as proper spelling and grammar. Beyond that I have to think this is completely spurious, it is not true. Not in the sense of all groups. Some may be, but most are not IMO.

Thanks to sanspeur for the link to WBC, that is truly an example of a hate group. I had heard of this church and the site. It is appalling! And, as a church they are getting huge tax breaks. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
 
31 posts, read 58,684 times
Reputation: 21
Everybody's got to hate somebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
Everybody's got to hate somebody.
Now that is a strange statement.....And totally untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
3,334 posts, read 5,116,767 times
Reputation: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Somebody gave an argument to me: You are the member of a hate group because "Skeptic society bash religious people".
Is it true, or not? What should we do in order to make Atheist image better?
That's just silly. Vehement or even passionate disagreement with someone else's position is not "hate". People are so damn over-sensitive and fragile these days. It's just sickening what weenies people are these days. We're becoming a society of people who are just begging to be shoved in their lockers or duct taped to the flag pole (figuratively speaking). People need to grow up, get a spine and strap on a pair. Good lord, what would they do if they faced real hate...like if their lives were threatened? Sheez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 PM
 
6,343 posts, read 8,485,434 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Then I guess most religions are also hate groups by that definition. Not only do they bash Atheists, but also any belief that differs from their own. By the way saying that you think someone is wrong is not hate.

This is hate.... Westboro Baptist Church Home Page

That is a very narrow world view. Univeralists, Wiccans, Buddhist, Deists, etc etc do not bash other religions. In a matter of fact, only a few religious groups do that.

Using the Westboro Baptists Church to represent all religion is like using Stalin to represent all Atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,901,923 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Then I guess most religions are also hate groups by that definition. Not only do they bash Atheists, but also any belief that differs from their own. By the way saying that you think someone is wrong is not hate.

This is hate.... Westboro Baptist Church Home Page

Actually, there have been Christian pastors charged with hate crimes for saying bad things about islam.

I disagree with you that we "bash" atheists...it's not personal.

And lastly...most of us don't consider the westboro freaks to be Christian. They're a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That is a very narrow world view. Univeralists, Wiccans, Buddhist, Deists, etc etc do not bash other religions. In a matter of fact, only a few religious groups do that.

Using the Westboro Baptists Church to represent all religion is like using Stalin to represent all Atheists.
Perhaps only a few religions do that but those religions represent the vast majority of the religious in the world.
Ok then let me clarify my statement..The major religions would be considered hate groups IF, (notice it's a big if) the criteria to define hate was "bashing" others, but it is not.....Hell, Christians even bash other Christians. I did not post the link to WBC as an example of Christians or religion, but as an example of a hate group....Obviously they represent very few Christians.
Perhaps because you seem so sensitive and defensive, I should have provided a link to the KKK or a Neo Nazi group.

Must I choose my words carefully when responding to you? Like my ex wife, you put your own meaning to my words and assume intentions that don't exist. I walked on eggshells for too many years with her, and I'll be damned if I'll do that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top