Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

Sometimes. This isn't really the place for the most off the wall religious beliefs however, other internet forums hold that destinction. I will say that after I spend any amount of time reading those I sometimes begin to question my own sanity.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
I think some of their beliefs are funny and astonishing. I think we all have some negative thoughts of different beliefs that don't agree with our own. We all have learning to do so we can either ignore them, discuss or agree with them.
I also think that none of them (biblers) can have a conversation without the bible. Scary.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you read posts in the parent forum to this, Religion and Philosophy, and end up sitting there in disbelief saying to yourself, "My god, how can these people be so damn stupid, gullible and brainwashed, that they actually believe the nonsense they are spouting"?
Yes. I know it's not nice to think of others in this way, but sometimes I just can't help it. There are moments when I'm left speechless at the absurdity coming from true believers.

A person saying *insert dogma of choice here* is the truth isn't any different than someone telling me there's a gang of Ewoks and Smurfs battling it out on their front lawn.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you read posts in the parent forum to this, Religion and Philosophy, and end up sitting there in disbelief saying to yourself, "My god, how can these people be so damn stupid, gullible and brainwashed, that they actually believe the nonsense they are spouting"?
Rarely. Most people who post there actually aren't stupid, because they don't base every single thing in their lives on faith alone. The believers who accept that there is scientific evidence in favor of evolution, and have incorporated that into their god-beliefs, for example. I may disagree with them on the existence of a deity, and on how life in this universe actually began, but for the most part they are not throwing out all scientific logic in favor of fantasy.

There are a few that throw away all logic, reason, and scientific evidence. I just can't understand why they think as they do, and end up just writing them off as loons, but fortunately those are in the minority.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Default Case in point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What valid evidence of a god thing are atheists throwing away?
Exactly, chielgirl. Answer: none. Which "valid evidence" are Christians speaking of? My primary personal reason for leaving the Christian faith was the total absence of any such valid evidence.

Oh sure, there's lots of implausible, faith-based stuff, such as "It says right here in my bible", but hey. That doesn't cut it.

After all, "It says right here in my biology textbook, but it's also backed up with reproducable and peer-reviewed research!" is somehow completely unacceptable to fundies, so why should they do a 180˚ and expect us to believe their ancient-text multi-translationed book of cute allegories?

Can you imagine, if the bible had the levels of self-regulation and reproducability of all it's fables that any modern intro science book demands? I mean, we regularly see so-called new evidence or "proofs", courtesy of the fundy websites, for underground cities, fake figurines, recordings of sounds from hell, etc. etc.

They buy into that stuff with nary a whimper or request for any back-up additional research. Apparently they like to be subsequently easily disproven and humiliated!

And yet, along we come, fully prepared, with well documented and conducted research, and it's all summarily tossed out without, in most cases, their even reading it.

Pre-conclusions and pre-suppositions, yah think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There are a few that throw away all logic, reason, and scientific evidence. I just can't understand why they think as they do, and end up just writing them off as loons, but fortunately those are in the minority.
Too true, MC. We've had our old reliables, but this new one, the loon lady, she's a prime textbook example of logic run amok. Quite the postergirl for membership in the IDT & BSM* clubs, eh?

* Intransigent Dogmo-Theists, and Blindered Sheeple Masses.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I try not to think that way when I read certain comments, because there was a time when I was just like them. So I can understand why they believe what they do. Actually, I've only been into the Christianity sub forum a few times; I just don't see much reason to look there. Lately I haven't been in the main Religion & Philosophy forum because I know I'll wind up arguing in a thread about evolution and I've discovered that doing so is completely pointless. Plus I just haven't been in an arguing mood lately.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I try not to think that way when I read certain comments, because there was a time when I was just like them. So I can understand why they believe what they do. Actually, I've only been into the Christianity sub forum a few times; I just don't see much reason to look there. Lately I haven't been in the main Religion & Philosophy forum because I know I'll wind up arguing in a thread about evolution and I've discovered that doing so is completely pointless. Plus I just haven't been in an arguing mood lately.
Sometimes a title catches my eye when looking at all the forums, and my morbid curiosity gets the better of me. I look at a few, then exit, as it scares the hell out of me. Not a fear of their religion, demon, rites, rituals, but their thought process scares me.

We have had elected officials that make decisions based on their outragious and unsubstantiated religious beliefs. Like Secretary of the Interior Watts that decided the environment didn't need protecting because Jesus was coming and the world was going to end soon, so why bother

Tonight there is the nonsense of "real demons" Mental illness plays a big part of this nonsense.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Don't have to. I have some friends who are conservative, right wing wannabe, evangelical Christians so I can go over and observe stupidity in person. Don't have to just read it here online.

But often when I am there, I just sit and wonder how can someone be so gullible/ignorant/closed minded etc then the anser comes....fear.....above all else, fear. Fear of Hell, Fear of the Devil (Sayyyyyyyyyy--tun!!!!) .... fear of life and everything comes through. Fear of what will happen if they don't believe.
Remember too, these are sad miserable people. They have more problems than anyone, financial on down, depression, physical ailments , etc etc But through it all they keep saying "Oh Jeeeeeee-sus is sooooo good to us amen!" I guess the one and only good thing about the religion is that it gives them a false, if not deluded, sense of reality as to how bad and miserable their lives are. If one considers the number of serious medical problems that they have, and the percentage of those which are psycho-somatic , then if it were me, I'd be asking "What's this Jesus guy doing to me?" Sadly, they are always broke, seems that church membership is expensive I guess. Of course, it's hard to keep a job when you are sick all the time too. And hard to make friends when you are so judgemental of everyone and everything. Which amazes me that I get in !

SO yeah, I can just go over to their house and be entertained all I want.

Only thing is, it's not really entertaining. ..........

Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
..coming from someone who believes in sky zombies, global floods and talking snakes.
Floods and snakes, anyway. I'm no fool.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm no fool.
*crickets*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism