Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 AM

520 posts, read 893,178 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

If you were raised in a religous household, where there certain TV shows you were not allowed to watch strictly because of religious reasons?

Heres my list:

Thundercats
The Smurfs
The Pretender
The Simpsons (though not for strictly religious reasons)
Pokemon
Digimon
Yugi-oh!

Thats all I can think of at the moment, anybody else got some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,621 times
Kung Fu was specifically banned because, "He really believes that stuff!!!!OMG111!!!panic"

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,042,849 times
I was raised catholic and was allowed to watch Thundercats and Smurfs. I've never liked the Simpsons all that much....never seen the Pretender and the rest is after my time.

My kids have never gotten into any of them...and we won't let them watch the Simpsons for the reason that it's just not a kids show.

My kids do watch the Disney Channel a lot....including the Witches of Waverly place. They also watch SpongeBob. I've seen the first 2 Harry Potter movies...but they just kind of lost me with the 3rd...it just didn't hold my attention.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Just remembered one. Batman was ok, unitll my mom found out Catwoman's pet cat's name was Isis.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I was raised catholic and was allowed to watch Thundercats and Smurfs. I've never liked the Simpsons all that much....never seen the Pretender and the rest is after my time.

My kids have never gotten into any of them...and we won't let them watch the Simpsons for the reason that it's just not a kids show.

My kids do watch the Disney Channel a lot....including the Witches of Waverly place. They also watch SpongeBob. I've seen the first 2 Harry Potter movies...but they just kind of lost me with the 3rd...it just didn't hold my attention.
The last three on my list werent too much of an issue, since i was quickly outgrowing cartoons by the time they came around

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,369,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

If you were raised in a religous household, where there certain TV shows you were not allowed to watch strictly because of religious reasons?

Heres my list:

Thundercats
The Smurfs
The Pretender
The Simpsons (though not for strictly religious reasons)
Pokemon
Digimon
Yugi-oh!

Thats all I can think of at the moment, anybody else got some?
I wasn't raised in a religious household, anything that was banned was because of age appropriate restrictions, not religious ones. The only cartoon I think I was ever told not to watch was Beavis & Butthead, which wasn't an issue, since I never found it funny anyway.

I just posted to say that I've never even heard of three of the shows on your list. The last 2, and The Pretender. Now I feel old.

I am confused as to why parents would ban something like the Smurfs for religious reasons, though.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I wasn't raised in a religious household, anything that was banned was because of age appropriate restrictions, not religious ones. The only cartoon I think I was ever told not to watch was Beavis & Butthead, which wasn't an issue, since I never found it funny anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

I just posted to say that I've never even heard of three of the shows on your list. The last 2, and The Pretender. Now I feel old.

I am confused as to why parents would ban something like the Smurfs for religious reasons, though.
Digimon and Yugi-oh! are more recent Japanese cartoons, when compared to the cartoons on the rest of the list. The Pretender was a drama on NBC, when the main character was a child he was abducted and entered into a think tank. He is incredibly smart and can be anything, doctor, scientist, race car driver. I wasn’t allowed to watch it because my mother saw an interview with the main actor (Michael T Weiss) and said he was "To 'worldly' to be trusted".

I wasn’t allowed to watch Thudnercats or The Smurfs because they both contained wizards/sorcerers.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,542,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I would highly recommend reading the Harry Potter books... they're wonderful reads The movies pale in comparison.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I would highly recommend reading the Harry Potter books... they're wonderful reads The movies pale in comparison.
The books are much better, they are almost different story. I try to reread them prior to a movie coming out and than will point out all the places the movies have changed the story. It sort of reminds me of the way our news media changes the news to fit what the need in their marketing. LOL

Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,042,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I'll put 'em on my "to read" list. I'll be honest...besides the Bible, Theology books, and Technology books (I'm in IT), I don't get a lot of time to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism