Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,616,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
This was a very interesting story by the OP thanks for sharing

I was never brought up with religion but I attended baptisms, communions, etc. As an atheist I'm tolerant of other people's religions and beliefs. Fortunately I've never been pushed in real life to convert or anything. It is actually only on this board where I've been attacked by Christians for not believing and accepting "Jesus is my Lord and savior" and being told I'm going to "hell" when I die.

Just curious but did you ever read the titles and read any of the threads in the Christianity forum? There are an unbelievable amount of questions that so many Christians have varying answers to. I can't believe there are so many "factions" of Christianity. And after reading the threads Christianity and religion in general sound more and more like little cults. I'm actually frightened by some of the things I see people believe in there.... their so blinded by their "faith". The especially scary ones are the ones in which "God" spoke to them and told them to do something and they did it without question....scary...

Exactly. So many people read the same things and come to different conclusions. Sometimes so different they could go as far as killing those who reach different conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,520,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
This was a very interesting story by the OP thanks for sharing

I was never brought up with religion but I attended baptisms, communions, etc. As an atheist I'm tolerant of other people's religions and beliefs. Fortunately I've never been pushed in real life to convert or anything. It is actually only on this board where I've been attacked by Christians for not believing and accepting "Jesus is my Lord and savior" and being told I'm going to "hell" when I die.

Just curious but did you ever read the titles and read any of the threads in the Christianity forum? There are an unbelievable amount of questions that so many Christians have varying answers to. I can't believe there are so many "factions" of Christianity. And after reading the threads Christianity and religion in general sound more and more like little cults. I'm actually frightened by some of the things I see people believe in there.... their so blinded by their "faith". The especially scary ones are the ones in which "God" spoke to them and told them to do something and they did it without question....scary...
True....as a theist, I too have been condemned to "hell" simply for not believing in it! I find that church is stifling and hypocritical not to mention it is scary what some people don't question. Questioning things is a sure sign of an open mind. Yet they propose to have an open mind.. weird!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 15,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
True....as a theist, I too have been condemned to "hell" simply for not believing in it! I find that church is stifling and hypocritical not to mention it is scary what some people don't question. Questioning things is a sure sign of an open mind. Yet they propose to have an open mind.. weird!

Actually, I think we're condemned for our actions, not the fact that we don't believe.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM

110 posts, read 212,409 times
I think my love of music, and the fact that I am far too emotionally driven, kept me connected to the church for far too long. I really have no desire to attend a church service anymore. Especially, because of the nature of most of the people who are believers. I don't wish for a minute to spend time with any of them. I got fooled because of my emotionalism, but logic was always tugging at me and thankfully I broke free from the chains of religion. I do love reading tacky church marquees, though. My recent favorite is: "Stop, drop and roll doesn't work in hell."

Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,323,649 times
LOL bert, they actually put that up on a marquee? unbelievable crap!!! but funny ..

Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I should load a photo. It's very tacky, indeed. However, if you tug at the heartstrings and play to the fears of the believers, they will continue to come in for their weekly affirmations of righteous superiority. Even though they are actually being threatened and abused - and loving it !

Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 AM

I know what you mean; but it's sad and hard to get your mind around....I always questioned religion, even when I was too young to understand, it just never felt right..I can't believe that not all people have that. I just have never been afraid enough maybe. Even when the religious instructor hit me on the head with the bible for asking too many questions...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi, MaggieZ.
Looking back I know that religion won me over by scaring me. I remember some of the very scary stories religious zealots told me when I was a child. On me, it worked. Unlike you, I was never much of a fighter. People told me who I should be and I accepted it. It is only in my mid-life that i am having any kind of freedom as myself.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 AM

well, bert, don't 'condemn' yourself for not being much of a fighter when it came to religion. It's never too late to finally break free and that shows you are a fighter now, at least you're not letting the past stuff scare you the rest of your life. That's a huge accomplishment IMO.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,680,241 times
That's true. I never had to deal with much more than theology knocking on my door and a couple of god-botherers at work trying to covert me. which is what got me interested in the god-debate in the first place.

I sometimes wonder whether I'd have had the inner strength to break out of the stifle -zone, especially if I was in a Bible belt area. That takes real courage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism