Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,554 times

Advertisements

It's not that important what we believe when it comes to religion. If God existed, why would he need us to believe in him so badly that the punishment is eternal torture for refusing to do so. What if I believe one day then have a few doubts a day or two later? How does God determine what my true feelings are? He's supposedly sitting up there watching us every second of our lives. Is he keeping score or something?

Spending too much time worrying about such things are pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
It's not that important what we believe when it comes to religion. If God existed, why would he need us to believe in him so badly that the punishment is eternal torture for refusing to do so. What if I believe one day then have a few doubts a day or two later? How does God determine what my true feelings are? He's supposedly sitting up there watching us every second of our lives. Is he keeping score or something?

Spending too much time worrying about such things are pointless.
Actually you have to have "faith". Belief is not enough.

What is faith.................??????????????

1) It's believing something REALLY HARD (ie: ball up your fists and squint your eyes when you are thinking about what you believe. You have to have your heart rate go up 50 beats a minute and break out in a sweat)

2) It's believing something REALLY LONG (ie: Every time you have those doubts you have to repent and start over)

3) It's believing something REALLY TENACIOUSLY (ie: No matter how stupid or irrational your belief is and how much evidence piles up against the probability of your belief as being truth, you do not doubt it even for one millisecond (see #2).

By praying, reading the bible and reflecting on what you read all day long your faith will "deepen". (ie: You will become more cocksure in your stupid, irrational belief. You will also be easily see the stupidity and irrationality of the beliefs of others who for whatever reason cannot interpret the bible like you can.)

Ultimately when your faith is REALLY DEEP you will get to be saved by grace...............Which means that God will save you if he feels like it because you exercised your free will the way he wanted you to............the way he pre-ordained it.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:49 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It isn't important unless we inflict the god-belief upon others or mix it with politics (some overlap there, right?). I think the more in-your-face primitivists have a great problem with thinking rationally, which exhibits itself in other ways.
...the bolded part is also what bothers me. The religious right is amazingly shrill. I am no Democrat (or a Rep) but the decision by conservative "values voters" to target Democrats is disturbing:
U.S. conservative Christians target 16 Democrats - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/19/AR2009091901952.html?hpid=sec-religion - broken link)

Old 09-20-2009, 01:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Because thoughts become actions, and have an impact on decisions, and the choices we make. People who say "I wish that I could believe" are honest. Nothing is stopping you from finding your own way. Why would anyone feel that religion is the only path ? If it doesn't feel right to us, then it isnt right. Keeping an open mind will lead to satisfactory answers in time.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I subscribe to the idea that there aren't any 'satisfactory answers', if by that is meant a way to avoid the end of consciousness after death. If I wanted to believe, which I don't, I certainly wouldn't choose the vain and vindictive Judaeo-Christian god.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,343 times
I'm with chicken catcher, who could want a god who watches us and lets horrible things happen to innocent people? He sits and glares all day and night and doesn't lift a finger when the most terrible things happen to people, look at babies being harmed, the Hollocaust...just to name something...who can believe that type 'god'thing exists??? We're on our own here, evil comes from people, so does good! No godly beings who demand to be praised and offerings made to them...no devils...

Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,163,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Seriously, if the end is upon us (either death or doomsday, whatever), what impact does belief really have upon the outcome? How can anyone state with any certainty that belief matters?

Live a good life, help others, have some fun, what does it matter if you believe in something or not? If I see a light at the end of a tunnel I suspect I'll walk to it, and if I see Jesus and God in Heaven then I'll be a believer in an instant.

I don't deny that some pretty incredible things happen every day and indeed the coincidences I experience are pretty amazing. I just question why so many people are obsessed with particular theories about the root causes (and particularly obsessed with making others believe the same theories)?
Beliefs do not matter much. But thinking does. If it wasn't for people who "think", we wouldn't have the internet, or the computers we are using. Thinking has save billions from staving, put a man on the moon, made vaccines and much much more.

Without theories, we wouldn't have the technology we have today. People wanting to undermined the process that turn out theories, and replace it with religious dogma, will destroy everything "thinking" produced.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
I've seen a lot of Christians who really want me or others to co-believe. That would seem to confirm their true inner fear that it may all be a myth, perpetrated on them by a cagey Church, especially, in the beginning, the rampantly political and ruthless Catholic Church. If they do achieve afeeding fenzy mass agreement, they will be assured they are (probably) not wrong. The tragedy of the commons...

Their desire does come across as a rather patronizing tone and behavior, as if they were talking to a child who had no experience nor education. They make such pronouncements as "God will guide you, my son! give yourself to Him, for He is the true Lord and Master of the universe!".

You know, as if this were absolutely true. Rather assumptive, I'd say, and frankly, since they choose to not keep it to themselves, I tend to react back at them, using the experience and education I have achieved.

They are now under persistent attack from those who point out the implausibilities in the various once-inerrant and unquestioned components of their belief system. All those fantasy biblical stories possibly faked? Oh no!

If they can personally support a growing congregation, or at least not a shrinking one (which has happened at several of our local churches here as the last of the oldster die-hards do exactly that) then their fears are assuaged, and they have renewed confidence that they are doing all that's possible to avert a hell-bent destiny.

Sadly, if they could come to grips with the inevitability of death, and organize their metal efforts, spirituality and plans to accomplish some long-dreamed-of goals, they could truly enjoy their remaining years, and could go to their end with a smile on their faces.

IMHO...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM

10 posts, read 11,185 times
If you do not have a belief that you can contribute somethig you would not think, invent, create, achieve. You had a belief you could make a point about beliefs when you wrote your post. Every human event is controlled by beliefs not logical thought.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdhdh33 View Post
If you do not have a belief that you can contribute somethig you would not think, invent, create, achieve. You had a belief you could make a point about beliefs when you wrote your post. Every human event is controlled by beliefs not logical thought.
I don't think we are talking about belief in oneself here, but belief in a deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism