Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Yes, I left it out purposely because the former and latter statements go together.

This is all aside from the point that so many in our society seek to actively establish the religion of atheism/secular humanism. This is all supposed to be OK because this same group also claims to be "non-religious."
There is no religon of atheism/secular humanism.
We don't have meetings or agendas, we simply do not believe in a mythical creature ruling the universe.
I don't want your religious beliefs forced down my throat.
I don't care what you believe as long as it is personal and kept that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NEVER underestimate the power of the human ego armed with a "little knowledge" . . . but no capacity for more.
Yeah, the christers are just like that, aren't they?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
To answer the opening post: Taxing the religious organizations in the States is way overdue. They are nothing but businesses, and should be taxed as such.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
I despise taxes enough that I don't want them levied against anyone, even churches. The less money and power the Feds have, the better. Fark those scabby, reptilian predators, no offense intended to any reptiles reading this post.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Yeah, I hate those roads and schools that tax dollars support.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I think I (and others) have mentioned it earlier in this thread, but if we tax churches then it will be far more difficult to claim a separation of church and state. I think I'd rather our government be out a little extra money than to risk having religion intermingling with laws, schools, etc.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 AM

They're not separate now.
So why not tax the hell out of them?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, I hate those roads and schools that tax dollars support.
Not sure about your area, but I won't let my kids *in* a public school around here. Their brains might get sucked out by all the rampant stupidity.

As for the roads, I think the state is getting some really nice kickbacks from the automobile suspension makers. What else could possibly explain these potholes! Surely they can fix up a few potholes with the billion tax dollars they get every year. I mean, it's inconceivable they would be wasteful with that money, right? Inconceivable.

Yes, I hate taxes. Yes, I know many people LOVE having money taken from them and spent on things they would support anyway. It's almost like a devotion, and kind of, ritual, maybe a way to boost ones martyred ego to praise the Taxman as they he were some kind of salvationary figure resplendent with all the regalia necessary to rescue humanity from its sloth and lethargy by force. But it's not a religion I buy into.

To keep this on topic vaguely, the roads and schools do not need any more government support than the churches. After all, if people can voluntary support a three-tiered megachurch complete with stadium TVs and a marching band, surely they can support a school and a road to the market.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 AM

No one likes taxes.
I have problem with paying them, though.

If you don't like them, do something other than whine on an internet board.
Work to stop war or something of value.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There is no religon of atheism/secular humanism.
Indeed.

Just as not collecting stamps isn't a hobby and bald isn't a hair color, atheism isn't a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism