Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
It wasn't out loud, but she asked everyone to put their pencils down and close their eyes before saying that she was going to make a prayer. I was shocked enough to make a small "heh" motion, but considering that she uses terms like "prayerfully" I wasn't completely surprised. While she was (silently) praying, I was busy working on my test.

I'm posting this here because I want to know what you would have done in this situation or if you have been in a similar situation before. I'm not angry about this since I've dealt with much worse, but this is admittedly another drop in the "Get the F out of Mississippi ASAP" bucket.
Honestly, I'd complain about it, if it's a public school. She has no business doing that in front of class. Make sure you pass the class first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It does strike me as a very weird thing to do but I also think it's weird that high school football teams will often pray before a game and that's very common. I don't know what religion has to do with a football game or an exam though.
It's because god loves football...and I don't blame it.

Maybe the teacher knew she made one of those really hard tests. Maybe it was organic chemistry. I know when I took that course, I needed all the help I could get.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Fullback32 wrote:
Quote:
It's because god loves football...and I don't blame it.
So do you think there's an invisible spectator in the stadium who's rooting for one particular team and might even cause a missed tackle or a bad pass to happen to make sure they win.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Fullback32 wrote:

So do you think there's an invisible spectator in the stadium who's rooting for one particular team and might even cause a missed tackle or a bad pass to happen to make sure they win.
It sure seems like it when you listen to the post-game interviews, huh? You never hear a guy from the losing team give god the credit, do ya? I think god plays the Vegas lines. I hear the angels don't get involved with the football pool anymore because they get tired of losing.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 PM

222 posts, read 581,092 times
May be she prayed to FSM?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
Head down, eyes closed.... perfect time to pull out that cheat sheet!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I think if she let you work on the test instead of praying, then it's just a silly, funny story and the topic doesn't really deserve much of a discussion between the teacher and yourself.

If, on the other hand, she saw you working quietly on your test and made you stop and involve yourself in her prayer, then it's grounds for a serious talk and the involvement of outside sources.

But, being that it was the former, I think you should let it go - really wasn't a big deal and it was neat to be able to get extra time for your test.
I agree with this.
Quote:
It does strike me as a very weird thing to do but I also think it's weird that high school football teams will often pray before a game and that's very common. I don't know what religion has to do with a football game or an exam though.
I can kind of understand praying before a football game (if you're a believer, that is.) In middle school I attended a private Christian school and was on the basketball team. Before each game we would gather around and pray for a safe game with no injuries. Of course, no one seemed to think about that when someone would get injured during a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Head down, eyes closed.... perfect time to pull out that cheat sheet!
Brilliant!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
It doesn't so much bother me when situations like this occur but rather annoy me to no end. It does not make me feel like my opinions or points of view are being threatened. Rather, it makes me feel like the person doing such a thing is using their position of power to make a show of their faith for more egotistical and selfish purposes than anything else. It's annoying and downright unprofessional.

What is the need to "announce" a prayer before the test when she could just as easily say one quietly to herself before the test began? It seems like it only serves the just purpose to signify her stewardship as a follower of dogma than add anything important to the class, or the test, for that matter.

To have the potential of annoying or putting at odds even one of her student's just prior to a test is, in my opinion, completely irresponsible. While the premise may seem borne out of good intention, I get the feeling this "show of faith" was derived more towards her own selfishness than out of any hope for prosperity towards the class. That is, pure and simple, an environment that I would be prone to speak out against.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
It wasn't out loud, but she asked everyone to put their pencils down and close their eyes before saying that she was going to make a prayer. I was shocked enough to make a small "heh" motion, but considering that she uses terms like "prayerfully" I wasn't completely surprised. While she was (silently) praying, I was busy working on my test.

I'm posting this here because I want to know what you would have done in this situation or if you have been in a similar situation before. I'm not angry about this since I've dealt with much worse, but this is admittedly another drop in the "Get the F out of Mississippi ASAP" bucket.

She knows that half the class is working on their tests through her prayer, as you did. I think she's doing it more for herself than for the students. However, unless this is a religious college, it's definitely inappropriate.

But if she was smart she would substitute the wording for "A minute of silence". That would make the class feel freer to use that minute for silent prayer, meditation, snooze, work (as you did).

Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times
I didn't really look around, but other than the three students (they were all near me) who glared at me, I didn't really see any heads up. We had introductions earlier this month and the majority of the class mentioned their religious faith during those introductions.

BTW, this is a state university. I didn't mention it because, really, why would anyone go to a religious college and then complain about religion being the main focus there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism