Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post
It seems to me that if someone asks if you believe in God, claiming to be agnostic does not answer the question.

OK, you believe that the existence of a diety can neither be proven nor disproven. That it is unknowable. But does that mean you have no opinion on the matter? As an agnostic, do you claim that there is a 50% chance that there is a God, 50% chance that there isn't? Be honest, of course you don't.

I believe that most people claiming to be agnostics are also athiestic but is it possible for a Christian to be agnostic? How compatable is agnosticism with Christianity and other religions?

Thought? Criticisms?

It's not a cop out when you refuse to take sides and jump head-first into the retarded rumblepit that is modern day religion. It's being practical and smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I went through a stage when I was young when I tended to identify my point of view as agnostic because it took some time to sort things out until I realized I was really an atheist. I can't think of any reason to criticize an agnostic because as others have stated they're dealing with the reality that they simply don't have any real evidence to put them on one side of the fence or the other. What led to my atheism was the realization that everything about religion appeared to be man made and is obviously based on mythology. I just don't see any evidence whatsoever for the existence of God. However, I don't think that my lack of belief is deserving of any more respect than an agnostic who is acknowledging that he or she doesn't know all the answers. It's a perfectly legitimate point of view.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

62 posts, read 173,635 times
Thumbs up great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Is agnosticism a cop-out? No, I don't think so. I see it as an honest assessment of one's pondering of the "god" question. It bothers me to an extent when hard-core atheists basically say, "you know you're really an atheist, just admit." To me this is no different than the Fundamentalist saying, "You know you're a child of God, just admit it and accept Him as your Lord and Savior." Each person has to work out this question for themselves and in their own time. I would also say to hard-core atheists, that when agnostics are holding to the possibility of a god, this does not necessarily mean that we are considering the existance of the Judeo-Christian or Islamic god. For myself, this is true. I think that if a god of some sort exists, it is nothing like the one we have been told about. Its nature must be beyond what we can even comprehend.

I am agnostic and say so as I honestly don't know if there is "something greater than us" out there or not. For me to take a position on it one way or another makes no sense.

I definitely hold the possiblility of something beyond us as I cannot resolve certain things. For example, I believe in the Big Bang. I accept the existance of an unimaginably small and dense singularity that expanded to what we know as the universe. The evidence is there. But, what I cannot reconcile is what made this singularity? What, if anything, surrounded it? What kind of "space" did it occupy? To say that it was "just there" makes no more sense than the explanations we receive from Christians concerning the the origins of their god ("He was just always there").

I do not know if there is a god, but I do know that if it exists, it isn't what any of man's religions tell us it is.
Exactly!! Well said!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 PM

62 posts, read 173,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's not a cop out when you refuse to take sides and jump head-first into the retarded rumblepit that is modern day religion. It's being practical and smart.
Yup yup. I choose to be a 'neutral' agnostic and not take the atheist side or religious side.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:13 PM

138 posts, read 173,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJAnsia View Post
Boom. Exactly.

If more people said "I don't know," this world might be a bit more livable.
Absolutely!

And can you imagine how history would have been different without the atrocities commited in the name of God?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox22 View Post
Absolutely!

And can you imagine how history would have been different without the atrocities commited in the name of God?

No...it's be committed under some other thing anyways. Haters loves company

Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
Yup yup. I choose to be a 'neutral' agnostic and not take the atheist side or religious side.
Its safe to say there are three types of Agnostic: Agnostic Theist, Neutral Agnostic, and Agnostic Atheist.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Its safe to say there are three types of Agnostic: Agnostic Theist, Neutral Agnostic, and Agnostic Atheist.
Fairly safe. One can also say there is the basic and pretty inescapable agnostic non - knowledge position, and

1. not believing in what one does not know (atheism)
2. believing in what one does not know (illogical - on paper though one could argue convincing evidence)

3 Neutral. Or cop - out. Or still thinking about or looking at the evidence, or just going along with theist family or friends or not being interested.

I'd prefer to avoid perjorative terms like 'cop -out' and use more encouraging words like. "Keep thinking about it - look at the arguments from both sides. Come to a conclusion one way or the other for sound, logical, evidence - based reasons. You owe it to yourself to come off the fence."

Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!" -Rush

Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
I'd say there is no such thing as an agnostic.

Theist = with a belief in gods.
A-theist = without a belief in gods.

So if one were to say 'I don't know whether or not gods exist' one actually HAS a belief that gods may exist and is therefore theist.

As has been perviously stated here, one either believes in gods and is therefore theist or one doesn't and is therefore a-theist. Theism/a-theism is simply a belief or lack of belief in gods.

One who say 'might be gods...might not be, there is not enough evidence either way' is actually saying 'Yes, it's possible that gods exist'. That makes him theist....with belief in gods.

Does that make sense?? I'll get my coat just in case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism