Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I am simply looking at all the social ills of our day and drawing a parallel to atheistic ideologies of : No absolute moral laws to live by / the desire for maximized freedom to live as One likes / not wanting to be owned by anyone possibly higher and more important than Self / believing there is no ultimate accountability for decisions volitionally made .
Atheism, itself, doesn't have anything to say about whether there are or are not "absolute moral laws".

Atheism, itself, says nothing about the desire for maximized freedom to live as one likes.

Atheism, itself, implies nothing about not wanting to be owned by anyone possibly higher than Self.

Atheism, itself, implies nothing about whether there will or won't be ultimate accountability for decisions voluntarily made.

Atheism is not believing in gods (period), end of story, the end.

So, all of your above claims are flat out unadulterated lies, and I for one don't appreciate it one bit at all.

Furthermore, I am not an atheist because of my wants or desires. I am an atheist for the reasons I stated in post #47 of this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/24828672-post47.html . I am not a selfish or carnal person. Atheism is not selfish or carnal (it is not unselfish or uncarnal either). Your post just shows a complete misunderstanding of what atheism is.

If you are against selfishness, then crusade against selfishness. Attacking atheism does not accomplish your goal as it is not a "selfish" position. You may have been trying to avoid responsibility for your actions while you were atheist, but if true that says more about you than it does atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
[quote=007.5;24893180]..
Quote:
I encourage you to look up the definition of Secular in the dictionary -- you will find the words of unsacred and unrighteous . And these words are not just rendered to religion . They are part of human psychology and sociology today. They are a reality with all those who want to live independent of God and his moral mandates whereby Self is placed on the throne.
Arq
Quote:
I do not need you to define 'secular' for me. And whatever dictionary you have been consulting, if it pairs it with the words 'unsacred' (irrelevant) and unrighteous (slanderous) it deserves to turned into garden mulch. I am going to consult Merriam webster - which theist - based as it is, is nevertheless the standard dictionary for the US. If it doesn't include both of those words in the definition I call come back and tel you just what I think of you.

Have a lovely day.
Merriam Webster
secular
Popularity
8 ENTRIES FOUND:

1) secular (adjective)
2) secular (noun)
secular arm (noun)
secular canoness (noun)
secular games (noun plural)
secular humanism (noun)
secular hymns (noun plural)
secular vicar (noun)

1sec·u·lar
adj \ˈse-kyə-lər\
Definition of SECULAR
a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b : not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> c : not ecclesiastical or clerical <secular courts> <secular landowners>
: not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or congregation <a secular priest>
a : occurring once in an age or a century b : existing or continuing through ages or centuries c : of or relating to a long term of indefinite duration <secular inflation>
— sec·u·lar·i·ty noun
— sec·u·lar·ly adverb
See secular defined for English-language learners »
See secular defined for kids »
Examples of SECULAR

Both secular and religious institutions can apply for the funds.
<that's an issue for the secular authorities, not the church>
Bloomberg, by contrast, would be the most pro-immigration, pro-free trade, pro-Wall Street candidate in the race. The third-party candidate he would most resemble is John Anderson, the fiscally responsible, culturally liberal Republican who ran as an Independent in 1980. Anderson won 7% of the vote, mostly among the young, educated and secular. But today those people are partisan Democrats. —Peter Beinart, Time, 11 Feb. 2008
[+]more

Origin of SECULAR
Middle English, from Anglo-French seculer, from Late Latin saecularis, from saeculum the present world, from Latin, generation, age, century, world; akin to Welsh hoedl lifetime
First Known Use: 14th century
Related to SECULAR
Synonyms: nonreligious, profane, temporal
Antonyms: religious, sacred

At the risk of a Moderator knuckle -rap

I don't meant to upset you, but you are a grubby, dishonest and disreputable liar and such a disgrace to your professed religion that if Jesus Christ had ever existed he would be ashamed of and disown you. What are you?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-25-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

I don't meant to upset you, but you are a grubby, dishonest and disreputable liar and such a disgrace to your professed religion that if Jesus Christ had ever existed he would be ashamed of and disown you. What are you?
Also at the risk of a mod knuckle-rap: he's a terrible human being is what he is. He has argued before that rape victims are at fault for rapes. This is the kind of subhuman "logic" he believes in.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

It is what it is, and it is oh so 'christian' behavior, be it the extremes like the WBC, or the little old lady that shoes flies out the door vs. swatting them, and drives her 37 Packard to church every Sunday, they are operating with a flaw mindset and the learned "christian morality" which by human standards is rather unsavory.

If you have to "learn morality" from a book of bronze age ignorance, then you have no moral and merely resemble a trained animal. The worst way to train an animal is through fear and punishment, be it a dog or a theist.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I come from personal experience wearing the atheist label and hanging with many friends with the same, so, please dont try to dismiss my analysis -- I based it on first hand experience. Im not at all saying that someone who wants to be an atheist cant enjoy the arts, peace, love, parenting, choosing to be moral, nor any other life experience ; I am simply looking at all the social ills of our day and drawing a parallel to atheistic ideologies of : No absolute moral laws to live by / the desire for maximized freedom to live as One likes / not wanting to be owned by anyone possibly higher and more important than Self / believing there is no ultimate accountability for decisions volitionally made .
Then clearly your atheist label was only a label.

Like any good theist, just make some more BS up to fit your current talking point. There is no atheist ideology, it is as simple and straight forward, god is a fricking fairy tale for adults.

So take your "train animal morality" from your bible and stop creating absurdities and lies. I trust you and your fear based morals learned by rote from long dead goat herders about as much as I would trust Sandusky to not molest a child.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Atheism, itself, doesn't have anything to say about whether there are or are not "absolute moral laws".

Atheism, itself, says nothing about the desire for maximized freedom to live as one likes.

Atheism, itself, implies nothing about not wanting to be owned by anyone possibly higher than Self.

Atheism, itself, implies nothing about whether there will or won't be ultimate accountability for decisions voluntarily made.

Atheism is not believing in gods (period), end of story, the end.

So, all of your above claims are flat out unadulterated lies, and I for one don't appreciate it one bit at all.

Furthermore, I am not an atheist because of my wants or desires. I am an atheist for the reasons I stated in post #47 of this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/24828672-post47.html . I am not a selfish or carnal person. Atheism is not selfish or carnal (it is not unselfish or uncarnal either). Your post just shows a complete misunderstanding of what atheism is.

If you are against selfishness, then crusade against selfishness. Attacking atheism does not accomplish your goal as it is not a "selfish" position. You may have been trying to avoid responsibility for your actions while you were atheist, but if true that says more about you than it does atheism.
Whatever one believes in and completely embraces, will determine how they live, behave, act. No God = no moral culpability . No God = maximized freedom to live life as One decides .

Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Also at the risk of a mod knuckle-rap: he's a terrible human being is what he is. He has argued before that rape victims are at fault for rapes. This is the kind of subhuman "logic" he believes in.
Oftentimes, rape victims are those who dress provacatively or show their sexual parts . Many men get the idea that such a woman is 'available' / a tease that needs putting in her place / a person who has no self respect or dignity / and-or is looking for a casual sexual encounter . This is often all it takes for some men to have sex with the woman, whether consentual or not. And THAT is plain logic and the very reason why so many mothers take the time to train and discipline their daughters in their sexuality. Therefore, you summation of me being subhuman is erroneous .

Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Then clearly your atheist label was only a label.

Like any good theist, just make some more BS up to fit your current talking point. There is no atheist ideology, it is as simple and straight forward, god is a fricking fairy tale for adults.

So take your "train animal morality" from your bible and stop creating absurdities and lies. I trust you and your fear based morals learned by rote from long dead goat herders about as much as I would trust Sandusky to not molest a child.
Yes, my atheist label WAS only a label , the same that it is for anyone who claims they are an atheist. Holding to an atheistic worldview and origins isnt based on scientific evidences but on philosophical desire. Have you got some scientific evidence that Materials as in a materialistic universe can produce the personal with intellect ? Of course no one does or could . Such a worldview is based on personal speculation because a personal Creator must never be allowed.

Atheism is an excuse of a fairy tale for adults ...totally unsupportable , speculation, personal opinion, and philosophical desire culminating in personal benefit for living.

'Fear based morals' is yet another excuse to free One up to life however One likes . For the longest time in America, biblical morals and ethics were highly held to during a time when civility and dignified living were high on peoples lists.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is what it is, and it is oh so 'christian' behavior, be it the extremes like the WBC, or the little old lady that shoes flies out the door vs. swatting them, and drives her 37 Packard to church every Sunday, they are operating with a flaw mindset and the learned "christian morality" which by human standards is rather unsavory.

If you have to "learn morality" from a book of bronze age ignorance, then you have no moral and merely resemble a trained animal. The worst way to train an animal is through fear and punishment, be it a dog or a theist.
'No one is going to tell me how to live my life'

'I want freedom to do as i like'

' No one is going to own me'

'I can do as i wish, so long as no one gets hurt'

'I dont answer to anyone '

Pretending our personal theistic Creator (God) doesnt exist, is the fastest way to get rid of the problem.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, my atheist label WAS only a label , the same that it is for anyone who claims they are an atheist. Holding to an atheistic worldview and origins isnt based on scientific evidences but on philosophical desire. Have you got some scientific evidence that Materials as in a materialistic universe can produce the personal with intellect ? Of course no one does or could . Such a worldview is based on personal speculation because a personal Creator must never be allowed.

Atheism is an excuse of a fairy tale for adults ...totally unsupportable , speculation, personal opinion, and philosophical desire culminating in personal benefit for living.

'Fear based morals' is yet another excuse to free One up to life however One likes . For the longest time in America, biblical morals and ethics were highly held to during a time when civility and dignified living were high on peoples lists.

Einstein was right, there may be a limit to the universe, but certainly not to human stupidity.

There is no god. <------ period

That is reality, you my deluded friend are the one chasing the fairy tale because as some point irrational fear of irrational concepts crept into you mind and you are unable to deal with these views, so you have squeezed your eyes shut tight, dropped to your knees and expect your imaginary friend to save your from these nightmare fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism