Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:24 PM

970 posts, read 1,696,548 times

Advertisements

But you're still supposed to eat it, right? After all, all transubstantiated wafers literally turn into the flesh of the Christ, although they usually keep the appearance and taste of wafers (or so I'm told). Doesn't sound particularly miraculous to me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
Roxolan wrote:
Quote:
But you're still supposed to eat it, right? After all, all transubstantiated wafers literally turn into the flesh of the Christ, although they usually keep the appearance and taste of wafers (or so I'm told). Doesn't sound particularly miraculous to me .
Eating something that turns into human flesh and blood sounds like cannibalism to me. I'm also concerned about what this might do to my cholesterol.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM

970 posts, read 1,696,548 times

Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Communion Bread, Wafers & Juice | ChurchPartner

They come in white or wheat? I bought a bag of 50 communion wafers at a mall kiosk in Southern California a while back.... not a good snack to munch on. Very dry. Guess that's what the blood of christ is for

Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
You have to have grape juice with them.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,003,257 times
I've never had them nor does anyone I know practice that.

It doesn't make sense to me. What's the point if they can do nothing for you. I mean, does it help you get to heaven quicker by eating them or understanding what they represent? I guess that's just another of the many reasons I don't go to all those man made church things. Never did make sense to do something material if my life is ending up on the spirit side. Aren't church people supposed to be working for God? And if so, shouldn't they be working on the spiritual side and not the material side of being?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
I don't believe it. I invited a much simpler miracle to turn water into wine, and it never happened. If it had, I'd have converted.

This miracle achieved nothing as they all believed anyway. It doesn't make sense as a spontaneous miracle produced by faith as it's never been claimed to have occurred before (that I ever heard) so I think this comes across as inherently unbelievable.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
I don't think anyone has ever explained whether the flesh is going to be cooked or if you have to eat it raw. I would certainly be spitting that out of my mouth if such a transformation took place.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think anyone has ever explained whether the flesh is going to be cooked or if you have to eat it raw. I would certainly be spitting that out of my mouth if such a transformation took place.
What, no Jesushi for you? Carpaccio of Christ?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,878,283 times
Default "Seek thee thy solace in The Lord" Bring money & wine."

Given the relentless arrogance and financial power of the Catholic Church, I've always wondered about the quality of their communion wine and those crackers. Aren't they probably quite high quality? Say, a complex, full-bodied Zinfandel (yum!) from the old grapes around Amador County in California, or from some very historical vinyards on central Italy?

"Chewy, let subtle, with faint traces of blackberry, humiliation and the blood of our enemies, and carrying a strong ethanolic finish " ("hic".... wassuppp, fathhherrr?)

And those crackers: Do they come with a nice Gruyere for the fathers when they re-convene out in the back of the seminary? I know it'd be kinda hard on the bottom line if they started spreading them with a nice Brie for the congregation, so hell, let the paying peons just get 'em dry. Long as they are not stale! Then the peons would probably stop coming by...

(This reminds me of when my good wife and I visited Nova Scotia some years ago. One of the truly nicest tourist destinations in the world! The lobster? The hot fresh french bread loaves for lunch along with the lobster bisque. Did I mention the lobster? About $3/lb back then, in Canuck Bucks no less...)

But anyhow.. you'd be driving towards some small, poor fishing or farming village, and from, oh, 5 - 10 miles away you could see the monumental Catholic church steeple. On arrival you'd find a virtually poverty-stricken village with really small and humble homes, but there would be that church, plus a tourist plaque that noted it took over 80 years of village labor (and donations? Nah....) to construct it.

Inside, the priests got their weekly free fish, wine, produce and tithes. And labor. How quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism