U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,148,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
ok, this is obviously NOT true for 100% of the cases....but it just seems like the older people get, and the closer they get to the ultimate doom, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power! i think it's fascinating and says alot about humans and human nature!

Ever since i stopped believing in fairytales not too long ago, i often ask myself..."will i ever go back to believing something....without a shred of evidence?" and my answer is always a resounding "Moderator cut: deleted NO!" i can't imagine someone just going back to "choosing" to blindly believe in 'a' God, just because they're afraid of the inevitable death.

Any thoughts?

Reading the first few posts from some of you, i better mention this:

IF YOU ARE NOT AN ATHEIST, PLEASE DON'T BOTHER REPLYING. I'M INTERESTED IN HEARING WHAT ATHEISTS THINK ABOUT THIS FENOMENA!

I don't need to hear about how you believe in a delusion.
" it just seems like the older people get, and the closer they get to the ultimate doom, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power!"

I haven’t noticed that at all.
Where did you get your info about that?

Cheers,
Aeroman, an atheist that gets to reply

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-25-2009 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: There is no point in life. Life is to blunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM

127 posts, read 72,115 times
Quote:

IF YOU ARE NOT AN ATHEIST, PLEASE DON'T BOTHER REPLYING. I'M INTERESTED IN HEARING WHAT ATHEISTS THINK ABOUT THIS FENOMENA!

Would you mind hearing from a former atheist?
After all, Iíve got info from both sides of the fence.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,186,277 times
Easy - the older people get, the more afraid they are of the unknown and death. It's the ultimate "dead end" that people refuse to believe in or come to accept that they're nothing more than worm food after they die.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,256,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Easy - the older people get, the more afraid they are of the unknown and death. It's the ultimate "dead end" that people refuse to believe in or come to accept that they're nothing more than worm food after they die.
Ditto. People, IMO, can't handle the fact that we are here and then we die... so they keep looking for a reason "why we are here" etc. They think there MUST be a reason... I simply believe we are here then we die and that is the END
Works for me. Not afraid to die....

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,396,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
" it just seems like the older people get, and the closer they get to the ultimate doom, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power!"

I havenít noticed that at all.
Where did you get your info about that?

Cheers,
Aeroman, an atheist that gets to reply
I donít see death as an end, or bad. I think it is part of the natural cycle, and when we go I am ok with my matter and energy being recycled. I donít have any desire to live forever and as I age, I recognize and understand how people would accept euthanasia when they become very ill. Death can and should be a friend when the time comes. I think we donít like it because we are the ones still living with the memories of those who have gone on.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,789,852 times
It's entirely possible that the memories keep us weary of death but I notice the same; the older I become, the more I accept death and the more I realize I've had good years, bad years but never boring or dull...and death is part of life. Nothing to want to avoid. euthanasia should be a right for everyone. Why should people be kept here way past their intended life, quality of life is way more important than longevity.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM

24,487 posts, read 17,580,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Strange that I find in my own experience just the opposite. The older I get the more prepared I am to accept my mortality...I have no idea how old most of the folks here are, but I'll soon be 70 and twenty years ago I feared death a lot more than I do now....Perhaps how one feels about death is relative to how long and how well one has lived?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 AM

14,812 posts, read 7,702,671 times
I think that as people approach the end of their lives, they naturally become more reflective of what their life has been and to wonder what lies on the other side of "the great divide". After all, humans, as far as is known, are the only ones capable of contemplating their own mortality and wondering if they will survive death in some form. Perhaps this what is behind the phenomenon you are asking about, especially if they have been raised to believe in Heaven and Hell, and have fallen away from their earlier religious training.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,618,116 times
Quote:
ok, this is obviously NOT true for 100% of the cases....but it just seems like the older people get, and the closer they get to the ultimate doom, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power! i think it's fascinating and says alot about humans and human nature!

Ever since i stopped believing in fairytales not too long ago, i often ask myself..."will i ever go back to believing something....without a shred of evidence?" and my answer is always a resounding "Moderator cut: deleted NO!" i can't imagine someone just going back to "choosing" to blindly believe in 'a' God, just because they're afraid of the inevitable death.

Any thoughts?

Reading the first few posts from some of you, i better mention this:

I don't need to hear about how you believe in a delusion.
Evidence-is-key >> Iwillthink4u >> Kleenex

Good metamorphosis (except that I'd suggest working on clearing your traces). I hope you got your wedding rings by now. Congrats on that

Old 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,450,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Strange that I find in my own experience just the opposite. The older I get the more prepared I am to accept my mortality...I have no idea how old most of the folks here are, but I'll soon be 70 and twenty years ago I feared death a lot more than I do now....Perhaps how one feels about death is relative to how long and how well one has lived?
I notice the same thing, particularly with those who led a fulfilling life with no major regrets.
I also notice that many older people begin to question their faith (for those who had it), especially as their spouses, siblings, and friends start dying off. I think it's the ones who didn't do things in life that they wished they had or who were generally unhappy who are more likely to want to believe there is more after death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism