Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Well, I am old and getting older by the minute..
I have always believed in God ever since I can remember

Over the years I have matured in my faith of God, His Son and the Holy Spirit that dwells within me to guide, teach and bring me peace with those beliefs..

I have no fear of death.. I have no fear of God..
Time marches on for Atheists also, time being one of the things science can't really explain, at least so our crude levels of intelligence can understand. Time still does keep everything from happening at once.

I have never believed in god. I attended parochial school as a child, and while as enrolled as on of them heathen children (not catholic) I listen to all the propaganda and even then thought what a bunch of hooey.

Over the years my understanding there is and cannot be a god has strengthened, no sons or spooks to delude me.

I don't fear death, it's part of the natural cycle, and I sure as hell don't fear any god.

Back to the point of there are things we are yet to understand about the real world, things our limited intelligence and science just can explain, yet.

It is also the limited intelligence that allows so many to be deluded about loving, caring, gawds, that have a long list of minor offenses that are capital crimes, i.e. working on [air quotes] HIS [/air quotes] day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 AM

18 posts, read 29,438 times
I think it happens because of fear of death. People always plan how they will react to something, but when it actually happens, the gloves are off.

Take in example I'm sure we've all heard that one person that says "If a man ever came at me with a gun, I'd take it from him!" That's their plan, and they are convinced that is what they would do. If it actually happened, however, they would more than likely be overtaken by fear and doubt. Same case here.

As people get older, death becomes a major thought, because its closer and imminent. So even those of little faith start thinking about the whole "Heaven and Hell" deal. It becomes more real to them because its where they are expecting to go. The closer death gets, the more they fear hell or that they're not good enough for heaven. Doubt and fear kick in, so they work harder at their "Salvation." So as time passes, they work harder for something that's becoming all the more real to them.

Atleast, that's my take on it.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
Why is it that the older people get, the more susceptible they seem to be to God!!!???
I think this whole issue is just a generational thing and a matter of demographics. The older generation, of which I happen to be a member, was raised in a more traditional and conservative environment and they have a higher percentage of individuals who consider themselves to be deeply religious. I've said many times that people generally tend to hold their religious or lack of religious beliefs for their lifetimes which is exactly what I've done. Older people don't become religious just because they're getting older, for the great majority of them they've been religious for their entire life. The younger generations are becoming less religious and I also expect that they'll feel the same way when they're my age. I was an atheist at about age 18 and I'm still one at age 60.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I've noticed that in my older family members, but just before they die, they experience doubt in their previous beliefs. You don't ever find out what really happens until after you go I suppose.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its an old joke about trying to sneak into heaven just b4 the end. but in earnest its not what i am seeing. what i am seeing is lots of the god thing when they are working if they get thru it to retirement b4 they drop dead from a heart attack and are not saddled with a credit card crazed wife and a house full of grandbabies to raise and a good for nothing 35 year old son, then at that point, they they turn from god totally, they turn into a BMW club med loving guy and die in a plate full of snails and french wine.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:34 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Fear?
I mean, most people were raised in some kind of god-based religion, and certainly a lot of that can be "a final judgment" and so on. I believe the Catholics are especially adept at this. Guilt, anyone? Hey, even Ted Kennedy tried to get the pope to intercede for him at the end.
I think the god/fear/guilt thing can be put into children's heads when they are too young to think about it, and it's hard to get it out of your head (I hear) no matter how rational you think you are.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 17,090 times
Yea im a youngin' .. But getting older and gettin closer to god seems like u would be sucking up to him haha in a way :d its funny..im sure im going to do that too but me and god are really close right now. Reminds me of the josh turner song "me and god" lyrics "there aint nothin that cant be done by me and god. You could sayyyy we're like 2 peas in a pod; me and god" ..love it <3 jesus is my straight up g hahaha- that was funny

Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times
Interesting question.

All I can say is that my personal experiences do not jive with the original post. My older friends are actually more open and "liberal" (to use a politically charged expression!) than younger friends. They are far less inclined to resort to the absolute moral judgement of a "god," simply because they are able to handle the moral ambiguities they have experienced themselves.

There seems to be something in the youthful psyche that demands absolutism in the world. I'm sure you will find far fewer religious fanatics in the 30, 40 or 50+ age group than you will in the 15-25 year olds.

Some older people will revert back to traditional "Hellfire & Brimstone," but I think it may be simply be because they are people who never questioned their place in the Cosmos in the first place.

They may be people who simply accepted stories about an afterlife that others convinced them to believe in. "If I do this and this, then I will be guaranteed a place in Heaven" sort of thing. It's an easy way out of moral dilemmas and murky questions about difficult moral questions.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
seems like the older people get, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power!
i can't imagine "choosing" to blindly believe in 'a' God, just because they're afraid of the inevitable death.

Any thoughts?
i would call it "wisdom"
and "accrued valuable personal experience"

never say never
that in itself shows a lack of wisdom

further evidence of lack of wisdom is the assumption that people "blindly believe" in God "just because they're afraid of inevitable death". You claim to know why people believe, and how people believe.

Yet you could not possibly know, because you also flat out admit you have no interest in hearing from the very people you claim to be an expert on.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-25-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
seems like the older people get, the more likely it is for them to turn to seeking a relationship with a higher power! Any thoughts?

IF YOU ARE NOT AN ATHEIST, PLEASE DON'T BOTHER REPLYING. I'M INTERESTED IN HEARING WHAT ATHEISTS THINK ABOUT THIS FENOMENA!
it's really funny when you read what the opening post is asking....why do people believe in god at a certain age; but then he also says that the only people who are "allowed" to answer the question, are people who do NOT BELIEVE IN GOD.

It's like asking "what it is like to nurse a baby" but then only letting men answer the question.

That is absurd!

It's like me being a woman and I can tell you what it's "really" like for you to have a peni$ because you are too stupid to speak on your own behalf.

Framing a question in that way reveals a whole lot about the mentality (or lack thereof) of the person asking the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism