Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

The moderators wish to bring the following to everyone's attention:

While this is the Atheist/Agnostic subforum, it has become all too apparent that on occasion, it is being used as an arena in which members feel they are entitled to 'bash' and/or 'flame' other members. As per the existing Stickies, there is to be no proselytizing on this forum. The mods appreciate those posts/threads which you report so that we may address the Administrator's Sticky in as timely a manner as possible. There is, however, a second Sticky which indicates that this subforum is still an 'open forum' and that any registered member of city-data is welcome to post here.

It has come to our attention that the use of the term "Christer" (along with "gawd," "sky daddy" and a few others) is insulting and demeaning to other city-data members. As well, as per the Terms of Service, bashing, flaming, insulting, and attacking posts and threads are not to be tolerated. As such, the following will be implemented here, and in ALL THREE of the Religion forums/subforums:

1- For the next seven days, any derogatory references to other members ("Christers") shall initially be edited. (Moderator cut: edited) We are trying to be fair in making members aware of why mod actions are being taken.

2- After December 4, 2009, should such references persist, they will be infracted. Please note this includes any/all references to any member's deity that is meant to demean, insult, or otherwise offend a person who happens to be a believer, as they can, and do, read threads in this subforum along with posting here.

3- Any threads and/or posts in which other members are specifically referenced/referred to by screen name in which they are insulted, demeaned, or otherwise ridiculed (covertly attacked) will be deleted and infracted for.

4- The above is in accordance to the Terms of Service. The moderators in the Religion & Philosophy, Christianity, and Atheist/Agnostic forums did not personally write the Terms of Service. We are, however, expected to ensure that city-data members adhere to it. Therefore, we ask that you respect the conditions to which you initially agreed, upon becoming a member, and to understand that we, as mods, must do the same.

This thread will remain in this subforum for one week, during which time any of the above items will be initially responded to via a "mod cut." After one week, this thread will be incorporated into the Sticky at the top of the forum, and any ongoing derogatory references/violations of the Terms of Service will be dealt with accordingly.

Any questions and/or comments should be taken up directly with either June or Miss Blue.

Thanks,

June and Miss Blue

Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
No way, if you ladies need any chores to be done in the house, like dishes, vegetable cutting, cooking, lawn mowing, pool cleaning, let me know. Groceries, at least?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Gawd, sky daddy, and Christer are our biggest concerns on the forum these days? lol We do realize that by censoring some words, other words will be used to describe the same ideas, and they too, will be found to be offensive?

Rule #3 doesn't sound like it was thought up on a drunk whim at least.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Gawd, sky daddy, and Christer are our biggest concerns on the forum these days? lol We do realize that by censoring some words, other words will be used to describe the same ideas, and they too, will be found to be offensive?

Rule #3 doesn't sound like it was thought up on a drunk whim at least.
ANY new words that are meant to be insulting will also be edited I want to add that it goes for both sides of the fence..Any one with insulting words for atheists will also be dealt with in the same way..

Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Penalizing insults to a deity sounds like an "anti-blasphemy" rule... in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I'd give it some room as acceptable 'Respect', which does not mean that I would not feel at liberty to completely trash, waste and marmalize any arguments for taking said Deity's existence seriously.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
I question the need for any form of censoring. I think we are all adults, most of us are thick skinned, and recognize if we are on a forum for Atheist and Agnostics it will not be soft on religious views. That, in my view, is the purpose of having an Atheist and Agnostic forum. I enjoy the less strict form of censorship we have had over the last months and think it has given rise to several fantastic debates. It also reflects formats on other Non-Religious forums which I visit. This effort sounds like a move to become political correct and make everyone feel good, and I question what is accomplished if all we do is blow sunshine into a debate.
I would hope the few words listed are all you want to change, and the meat of this forum is allowed to continue addressing Atheist and Agnostic issues unaudited for the religiously sensitive.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I do have one thing to say:

I agree that the usage of the word "Christer" as well as others like it are mostly used in a derogatory form or fashion. I often try to look at the arguments I make on this forum (or any other forum) as though I am standing on a podium having a formal debate with someone in person.

If you ask me, not only does it detract from the debate as any sort of eloquent form of discourse by calling your detractor (and his/her adherents) a childish name, it does indeed seem offensive.

However, I will say that I have full faith in the moderating team to distinguish between justly deserved harsh criticism as opposed to mockery and childish name-calling. My main concern when these kinds of rules are enacted is that any and all harsh criticism will thus be deemed as falling in the same boat as calling someone a "Christer."

We shouldn't forget that while much of this post was to clarify some of the terms of service, those same ToS rules say we may politely attack ideas but not the people; I quote:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

I agree with this rule and feel that while calling someone a "Christer" crosses the border of attacking the speaker of an idea; we should not condemn the harsh criticism deserved of many religious ideas. Part of what has made religion such an abominable force in this world is because it has reached this sacrosanct, "protected" status that you simply can't scrutinize because it's "religion."

I certainly think there is a fine line between calling someone a "Christer" and attacking the conceptions of said person's self-projected image of worship. I agree that using the word "Christer" can be just as derogatory as calling a Muslim a "R*ghead" but we should not put the kabosh on the criticism of malicious, dictatorial, self-righteous, childish, and primitive ideas that so many people call "God."

Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
by intent, I do not go on the Christian forum. I am not a believer, why would I go there? For what valid purpose? I do not understand why believers have the ability to change the way atheists and agnostics talk to each other.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Wow, okay I guess I will have to start using "christians-that-don't-act-christ-like" instead of "christer". Because personally, I feel there is a very definitive time and place to use "christer" instead of Christian. I also very rarely post in the Christian forum unless something particularly outrageous is brought to my attention there. And fyi, they bash us all the time there.

I wonder when christians-that-don't-act-christ-like will be told that they can't say that atheists have worthless, meaningless lives and that we're going to hell and we'll be sorry when we burn for eternity. And yeah, I fully expect this to be deleted and get a heavy infraction for it, but someone has to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism