Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,488,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Doctors will admit that 17 percent of all deaths attributed to cancer is caused by the treatment, not the disease. Of course, this is conservative. The actual number is much higher but you won't get them to admit it.

I spend a lot of time reading about this very subject because it greatly influences my chosen career. Frankly, I am shocked on a daily basis at some of the horrific accounts of "treatment" that I read about. If you doubt it, then you need to crack a few books my friend. Your eyes will be opened.

20yrsinBranson
I didn't know that. Still I feel squeamish blaming people I don't know when it's a situation I don't fully know. Maybe this is a case where the treatment was appropriate.

On an unrelated matter I'm sorry June. I shouldn't have gotten sucked into a negative sub-current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 AM

50,126 posts, read 63,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You do realize you're in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, right?
Why would an atheist be interested in that book?
The OP asked, "Where is the sense in that in the christian world?? Why would this wonderful woman who sang gods praises, who witnessed for him, who had 100% faith in him be allowed to die and to die in such a horrible way??"
The book I suggested speaks to her question.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:36 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was seated waiting on my daughter when I saw this woman, she didn't look sick or unwell but she didn't have any hair. She had a beautiful face and look so pretty even without her hair.
I talked with her and she told me her story that she did indeed have cancer, she would go in for her chemotherapy treatments and come to work right afterward. She spoke of her faith in god that he would see her through this and give her strength to beat the cancer.

She never once tried to push her religion on me but spoke of her belief system as a way she was coping with her illness. She was so positive and such a good person. I talked to her everytime I would go into Walmart because I enjoyed her so much. She was one of the managers that watched the floors. She got to know my name and my daughters we spoke so often.

She always said that god had plans for her and it was not her time and that he would get her through this. She was what religious people call one of gods faithful. Such a kind heart.

Just a week ago I noticed she was not there, a couple more visits and I noticed she was not there. I began to fear the worse. I believed that she would beat the cancer if only because of her positive attitude. I thought that he belief she was going to beat ALSO included factual information about the severity of the cancer.

Last night my daughter and I went into Walmart and found a memorial to her that the management had set up. There were cards laying there for people to sign for the family. Pictures of her before she had cancer and after. My daughter and I wept as we signed the card.

Why if there is a god, would he let someone like her die? She was a good and kind person. I spoke with a couple people who worked in Walmart and knew her and they teared up as we spoke about what kind of a woman she was, how good she was, what a good worker she was, how she had integrity and could be trusted at work.

She left behind a husband and children. Where is the sense in that in the christian world?? Why would this wonderful woman who sang gods praises, who witnessed for him, who had 100% faith in him be allowed to die and to die in such a horrible way??

I don't get the point of it all from the christian point of view.

AND to those people who go on about how we all have choice. Just who chooses to get cancer, to waste away, loose their hair and die in horrible pain. She made no such choice. It was her intention to stay here and keep being an example of her faith. That was her choice.

Pauline at Orange City, Florida Walmart will be greatly missed, there were many cards there on the table that had been filled with people relating their own stories and the management would bring more. Where was her god when she took her last breath?? What did her faith get her?? What did her faith give her family??
I think it is no coincidence that my sister who is only 49 has terminal cancer at this very moment and is not expected to live more than maybe a month.

Since you asked a question and made the comment "from a Christian point of view" I felt invited to share because I am a Christian. I have therefore inquired and pondered about these very things with the God that I believe in. You see my friend living isn't all about this life, in fact to the believer life is Eternal and this is just a shadow of what will come. This place (earth) and this life is where we practice our faith, where it grows and where our light shines as believers for the darkness to see. This place is where we are trees planted by the living water that in it's due season it will produce fruit. I believe that the beauty that you saw was the fruit of Pauline's faith and evidence of the light that God gives to His believers or children.

That dear lady just slipped out of this life and went on her vacation and is now in the presence of Jesus living forever in a perfect body, worshipping the one she loves. She will go on for all eternity with the King of King and Lord of Lords living the life that God had intended from the beginning. She is there because she chose to believe in God and Pauline lives!! Praise God!!!

As far as God...His plan was for His creation to live in a perfect disease free existance worshipping Him, he still desires that and those who place their trust in Jesus will live forever in Paradise. God gave man a free-will and when we reject Him we say we don't want him. Disobedience and refection of Christ is sin.. Therefore we live in a sinful world. This was not God's intention or desire but man's..

But God who is Love has given us yet another chance and that chance is through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus was the sacrifice for sin and through him we have life...eternal life. Pauline is with Jesus in Paradise on this day.

I don't know what kind of family Pauline had but if she touched you with her faith and kindness then she touched her families lives as well. Her family possibly knows that she is in heaven and if they are believers they will one day very soon go to be with her forever. They will be joining her in the vacation of a lifetime to live there forever.

That grand vacation (Heaven) awaits all that believe in Jesus and His death on the cross. It wasn't all in vain my dear friend.. She touched you, you asked the question and I just happened to drop by.. May the Truth and peace find it's place in your heart.. Thankyou for asking and allowing me to speak on your forum although I realize not everyone believes as I do and I am not trying to push this down anyone's throat. I am just sharing from my heart. And thank you for introducing me to Pauline, she sounds amazing... I can't wait to meet her.

Last edited by Raelyn28; 01-16-2010 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Didn't want to push my views.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,139,050 times
[quote=PurpleLove08;12389471]You do realize you're in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, right?
Why would an atheist be interested in that book?[/q ofuote]

The Op made the Comment: "from a Christian point of view" in the original post.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,553,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I think it is no coincidence that my sister who is only 49 has terminal cancer at this very moment and is not expected to live more than maybe a month.

Since you asked a question and made the comment "from a Christian point of view" I felt invited to share because I am a Christian. I have therefore inquired and pondered about these very things with the God that I believe in. You see my friend living isn't all about this life, in fact to the believer life is Eternal and this is just a shadow of what will come. This place (earth) and this life is where we practice our faith, where it grows and where our light shines as believers for the darkness to see. This place is where we are trees planted by the living water that in it's due season it will produce fruit. I believe that the beauty that you saw was the fruit of Pauline's faith and evidence of the light that God gives to His believers or children.

That dear lady just slipped out of this life and went on her vacation and is now in the presence of Jesus living forever in a perfect body, worshipping the one she loves. She will go on for all eternity with the King of King and Lord of Lords living the life that God had intended from the beginning. She is there because she chose to believe in God and Pauline lives!! Praise God!!!

As far as God...His plan was for His creation to live in a perfect disease free existance worshipping Him, he still desires that and those who place their trust in Jesus will live forever in Paradise. God gave man a free-will and when we reject Him we say we don't want him. Disobedience and refection of Christ is sin.. Therefore we live in a sinful world. This was not God's intention or desire but man's..

But God who is Love has given us yet another chance and that chance is through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus was the sacrifice for sin and through him we have life...eternal life. Pauline is with Jesus in Paradise on this day.

I don't know what kind of family Pauline had but if she touched you with her faith and kindness then she touched her families lives as well. Her family possibly knows that she is in heaven and if they are believers they will one day very soon go to be with her forever. They will be joining her in the vacation of a lifetime to live there forever.

That grand vacation (Heaven) awaits all that believe in Jesus and His death on the cross. It wasn't all in vain my dear friend.. She touched you, you asked the question and I just happened to drop by.. May the Truth and peace find it's place in your heart.. Thankyou for asking and allowing me to speak on your forum although I realize not everyone believes as I do and I am not trying to push this down anyone's throat. I am just sharing from my heart. And thank you for introducing me to Pauline, she sounds amazing... I can't wait to meet her.
Great post Raelyn and I know that you will be comforted in knowing that your sister will shortly be joining the Lord in a new phase of life for eternity.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,644,119 times
My condolences to her family

As for her views, she believed in her faith because it was what allowed her to stay strong not only for her family, but herself as well. She believed for the better and that was what enabled her to continue fighting to stay alive.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 PM

13 posts, read 18,186 times
Quote:
Where was her god when she took her last breath?? What did her faith get her?? What did her faith give her family??
God was the only thing keeping her smiling when many people would be bitter. Faith gave her enough joy to inspire people who barely knew her. Her faith gave her family the belief that, though we pass (as we all do), we make this lives better to those we love when we are filled with light and joy. Your anger shouldn't be at God for taking this woman, and it doesn't sound like that's what I'm hearing. You're anger could better be expressed by asking why more people aren't like her; Why is this world filled with such cruelty, ignorance, hatred, pettiness and dispair?

The world is as it is because our race simply hasn't learned to do better. But how can we do better if we have no direction? Casting out God is casting out the direction of joy- a joy that can be experience by anyone and everyone for little or nothing. A joy that can be shared when there doesn't seem like there is anything to share. A joy that gives us power over our own fear that we may not have enough of what we need to go on. A joy that lifts us to do greater things than what we could if all we intended to honor were ourselves. A selfless joy. A joy that doesn't ignore our own needs but doesn't keep a deathly grip on them that paralyzes us from sharing, caring and helping one another.

Let her light be an example, not a curse. Cancer isn't a cakewalk and loosing someone we care about isn't a hayride, but we are here and can use all the joy we can. Faith is allowing ourselves that in such a dark, bleak world. I am sorry for your loss but I do hope you are able to still find joy around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism