U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 457,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
But am I the only Athiest who feels it would be hypocritical to celebrate Christmas (CHRIST MASS: The birth of CHRISTIAN founder, Jesus CHRIST) since I do not believe in his religion??? I never understood how a true Athiest could justify this. Seems like the same thing the Xtians do. Reeks of hypocrisy. I act as though it does not exist. I simply live on and ignore the insanity of the whole thing. That's how I deal with it.
Even though it's called "Christmas" celebrations at this time of the year have occurred long before Jesus was around. I think it's perfectly okay to celebrate the pagan portions of the holiday without bringing in anything about the church or god.

Personally I just celebrate the end of the year & enjoy the festivities as much or as little as I want. I like the idea of decorating the house to spruce up the drab winter scenery. And I don't mind getting simple gifts for people who are close to me, just to show I've been thinking of them. But that's the extent of it, I don't like turning the whole thing into a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM

24,638 posts, read 14,906,891 times
Quote:
But am I the only Athiest who feels it would be hypocritical to celebrate Christmas (CHRIST MASS: The birth of CHRISTIAN founder, Jesus CHRIST) since I do not believe in his religion??? I never understood how a true Athiest could justify this. Seems like the same thing the Xtians do. Reeks of hypocrisy. I act as though it does not exist. I simply live on and ignore the insanity of the whole thing. That's how I deal with it.
"True" atheist, is that like a "true" christian.
Please don't try to lump us all into one group.

Most of us were raised culturally christian; it's ingrained in us traditionally.
I don't celebrate anyone's birth.
That said, I live in Germany and just spent almost 200 on nice metal ornaments.
I now own a fine collection of Santa's - bobble heads and burberry plaid among them.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,103,683 times
Quote:
So celebrate winter solstice then That's were the holiday came from anyway.. Any time I can have a few glasses of wine & annoy my nutty religious mother in law is well worth it

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,784,294 times
Before I retired, a paid holiday was always a welcome event.

Perhaps one could believe in Santa, a very jovial fellow, not some ego maniac that demands eternal punishment for simply not believing in him. With Santa, you just don't get presents if you don't believe in him, but don't have to worry about lakes of fire and other silly notions.

So in the more appealing contest of deities, there is no contest, Santa takes it hands down.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,234,085 times
We celebrate winter solstice at our house. It's a time to light fires and candles, eat rich foods, drink wine and also a time for quiet contemplation. I see it as a celebration of the season.

We do have a tree (like many here I was raised with the Christian tradition) and also bring in boughs and pinecones and I start paperwhites. I like the idea of bringing green things into the house at this time, the shortest days of the year. We even put sparkly white lights outside.

One of our traditions is to write both regrets of the past year and hopes for future on scraps of paper and toss them in the fire.

I actually love this time of the year. I'm totally ok with people wishing me "Merry Christmas". I don't feel that anyone else's belief system necessarily negates mine. As long as their good wishes are heart-felt.....I'm ok with that.

Mostly though? I love SNOW. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,234,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So in the more appealing contest of deities, there is no contest, Santa takes it hands down.
If you haven't already done so, put this on your to-read list:

Amazon.com: You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas (9780312341916): Augusten Burroughs: Books

Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,683,110 times
As I've said before I do enjoy Christmas although this year is going to suck because I can't afford to visit my family. Last year the same thing happened due to bad weather and not being able to fly to Seattle to visit my sister. It's only happened twice in my entire life that I didn't visit one of my relatives. We're kind of scattered around the country and now the longer distance, the unknowns at airports due to the weather, etc. have made it more difficult. I'll probably just have a tv dinner, watch some movies and drift off to the misery that is my life. It's just my weird sense of humor, I'll be fine and I'll at least talk to my family on the phone.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,006,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
"True" atheist, is that like a "true" christian.
Please don't try to lump us all into one group.

Most of us were raised culturally christian; it's ingrained in us traditionally.
I don't celebrate anyone's birth.
I think that would be a bummer if you ever have kids. "I'm sorry little jimmy I don't believe in celebrating anyone's birth"

Don't take that too serious. I just remember some kid or other whose parents didn't believe in birthdays, they were like Jehovah's Witnesses or Christian Scientists or something, and feeling a bit bad for him. He may not have seen it as any kind of problem at all.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,301,823 times
Personally, I believe that if Jesus were to come back today and witness the crass, absurd, exercise in obligatory materialism that Christmas has been morphed into, he would feel that the boycotting of the holiday many of us agnostics practice would be not only justified, but in view of his tantrum with the money changers, actually actually pretty appealing to him.
How's that for a paradox?
Peace.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,017,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think that would be a bummer if you ever have kids. "I'm sorry little jimmy I don't believe in celebrating anyone's birth"

Don't take that too serious. I just remember some kid or other whose parents didn't believe in birthdays, they were like Jehovah's Witnesses or Christian Scientists or something, and feeling a bit bad for him. He may not have seen it as any kind of problem at all.
My mom was a JW and we always got around this by getting "random" presents somewhere within a month either way of Christmas. But in all reality my family has always had the mindset that it shouldn't have to be a special day to do something nice for someone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism