U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,199,542 times

Advertisements

This is on the Yahoo home page right now- Not riveting but nice to see non believers mentioned.

Atheists at Christmas: Eat, drink and be wary - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091209/ap_on_re/us_rel_religion_today - broken link)

The last line sums it up I think.... "Enjoy your friends, Eat, Drink & Be Merry!"

Last edited by PixiStix; 12-09-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,903 times
I just saw that article on the yahoo page. Personally, I just enjoy a quiet day at home with my hubby and my cats and we eat lots of yummy food and maybe meet friends. Both of our families are far away, but in my family, growing up, there was no talk of religion anyway, so thankfully I never had to deal with that. I don't care if people say "Merry Christmas" or send "Christmas cards", as long as they afford me that same tolerance. But spare me the religious stuff, don't have any interest in hearing it.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,915,216 times
I'm the nonbeliever that loves Christmas/Winter Solstice. Lights, trees, exchanging presents, the food, being with family/friends... loved it all as a child and continue to as an adult. We never really attended church outside of a couple of Easter Sundays... so I think part of it is that I was never heavily exposed to the religious side of the holiday as a kid. Other than some Christmas carols and my mom's little nativity scene, it was all about food, family and fun.

Now that I have my own family, I'm trying to pass on my love of the holiday season to my kids. As for the mythical figures associated with the holidays (be it Santa or god)... I've decided to let my children figure things out on their own. I'm not going to push them one way or the other... just do my best to answer their questions.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,992,280 times
No santa/JC involved, no praying to god, etc etc. Holidays are just holidays, sans the holy stuff. We visit friends (mostly christians) and they are the "liberal" types who do not expect you to join in a prayer; in fact, most dont go to church and are not too big (pro /anti) religion. Sadly, we are powerless against the marketing of various products and end up exchanging gifts within the family - kids love it.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,619,800 times
I saw the article also. I had to smile, as I am one who gets real tired of all the holiday foolishness. It is OK for a few weeks, but after that itís hard to avoid being a little sharp with the people who just seem too bubbly, or when I canít fine news even on public radio.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,364,683 times
I love the decorations and trees, used to do the shopping and gifts, I still send cards and wish people merry Christmas. Go to caroling or Christmas concerts....It's like eating Easter eggs at Easter. Or fireworks on the 4th of July..or Haloween. We can celebrate without the manger and so on...I too get sick of the commercial stuff after a while but now that I don't work retail, it's easier.
Many Christians don't do the religious part either, many catholic kids have no clue about Christmas. Even the pope's not doing midnight mass this year because he's going to bed early!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM

705 posts, read 943,750 times
I look at Christmas in the spirit that I THINK it is intended for. That being to celebrate good deeds and feelings universally, not just towards and/or among friends and relatives. And not just during the Christmas season, but all the time. I like how Dickens portrayed Christmas in his Christmas Carol or Scrooge story, I expecially like the film version with Alastair Sim, it really sends a message of what Christmas should be for everyone.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,903 times
Peace and Goodwill to ALL, that is the meaning to me....

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times
How atheists deal with Christmas

Well, I really can't speak for anyone else, but, this Atheist tries his best to turn gluttony into an art form.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,403,910 times
But am I the only Athiest who feels it would be hypocritical to celebrate Christmas (CHRIST MASS: The birth of CHRISTIAN founder, Jesus CHRIST) since I do not believe in his religion??? I never understood how a true Athiest could justify this. Seems like the same thing the Xtians do. Reeks of hypocrisy. I act as though it does not exist. I simply live on and ignore the insanity of the whole thing. That's how I deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism