U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 PM

276 posts, read 396,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have been looking at the statistics, and in my view, the values which Atheist live by seem to relate to higher morality than the religious sector. Is it the Humanism aspect of being an Atheist which instills a higher set point for moral character. I see the Atheist moral value as being based on empathy and thus relating to other human feeling, providing a much broader base for morality than religion. A good example of the higher moral values is the per capita ratio of Atheist in prison when viewed against the religious, .2% as opposed to over 30% for non catholic christians, and close to the same for catholics. With data like this why are Atheist viewed as having low moral values?
Because they're busy living not preaching or being nosy!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM

2,997 posts, read 2,497,309 times
Quote:
I have been looking at the statistics, and in my view, the values which Atheist live by seem to relate to higher morality than the religious sector. Is it the Humanism aspect of being an Atheist which instills a higher set point for moral character. I see the Atheist moral value as being based on empathy and thus relating to other human feeling, providing a much broader base for morality than religion. A good example of the higher moral values is the per capita ratio of Atheist in prison when viewed against the religious, .2% as opposed to over 30% for non catholic christians, and close to the same for catholics. With data like this why are Atheist viewed as having low moral values?
Im afraid your stats dont conform to reason , since an atheist doesnt want to believe in ultimate moral accountability for the expressed purpose of maximized lifestyle freedom . Here are some more accurate stats on the issue : Are Atheists and Theists Morally Equivalent?

And, here is a site which gives specific answer to Atheist misconceptions and misinformation for your review . Regards. : http://www.godandscience.org/apologe...l#38kfQzRJoVQl

Last edited by 007.5; 01-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im afraid your stats dont conform to reason , since an atheist doesnt want to believe in ultimate moral accountability for the expressed purpose of maximized lifestyle freedom . Here are some more accurate stats on the issue : Are Atheists and Theists Morally Equivalent?

And, here is a site which gives specific answer to Atheist misconceptions and misinformation for your review . Regards. : Answers for Atheists and Agnostics
The prison stats come from the Pew Report which I see as a non prejudice source, where your godandscience.org site give the impression of being less than objective in its view.
Religious individual seem to think you need accountability to be moral. This is a fallacy pushed by organized religion, which is being replaced by secular governments, and laws equally applied to all. Accountability for crimes (laws) are enforced today by these laws, not in your religions hell or any mythical burning sea after you are dead.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 954,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post

And, here is a site which gives specific answer to Atheist misconceptions and misinformation for your review . Regards. : Answers for Atheists and Agnostics

Sorry but there's not a snowball's chance in hades you are going to get any accuracy on any level from a site with "godandscience" and/or "apologetics" in its url.

"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant." -- H L Mencken

Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM

7,431 posts, read 3,401,182 times
Default Why are Atheist moral values better than christian morals?

Counter question:

Why is freedom better than slavery?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM

458 posts, read 387,874 times
Quote:
(I haven't been following the thread so my comment is for the OP only)

IMO
Atheist aren't confined by a set of rules dictated to them by a supreme being thus giving way to a more accepted level of who they are. No inner battles, no judgments, and no damnation for proactive thoughts.
I would tent to believe that they, Atheist, are free thinkers where as someone who is bound by religious expectations could hold resentment towards their religion when the individual’s integrity gets out of balance.
Again, in my opinion;
Anything that restricts freethinking builds pressure and it’s only a matter of time before the “BOOM”.
But like I said, it’s just my opinion.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM

458 posts, read 387,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Counter question:

I think the answer for both questions lay in one word, "RELATIVITY".

Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 AM

14,878 posts, read 6,686,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Counter question:

Perhaps because people prefer to do what they want to do rather than what someone else tells them to do.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM

13 posts, read 9,803 times
Statistics?!

Hehehehehehe.

I am embarassed by how little I know, but what I do know is how hard real proof and real science it. Social studies = real science? Hmmmm....

If you get a chance read Richard Feynman's belief on what can and can't be proven by science, what passes for science and what we truly know as a scientific culture. You might be surprised that we walk on very shaky scientific ground whenever we step outside applied physics.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 9,803 times
Quote:
I would ten(d) to believe that they, Atheist, are free thinkers where as someone who is bound by religious expectations could hold resentment towards their religion when the individual’s integrity gets out of balance.
I wasn't aware there were religious expectations to resent. I believe all relationships with God are personal and can not be discerned by any groups claim of cooperation, particularly with large groups. In fact, the larger the group the less cohesive their beliefs would seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism