U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,720,919 times

Advertisements

Interesting site:
Atheists for Jesus

comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,908,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Interesting site:
Atheists for Jesus

comments?
This is extremely interesting to me and I can see where they are coming from with this as I started a thread about some of what they touch on here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ianity-my.html

In order to see where they are coming from, one has to accept the idea that a Jesus DID in fact exist, something I believe which is contrary to what quite a few other atheists believe. I hold that he probably did exist or could have existed, however, he was nothing more than a mere man, a preaching faith healer of first century Palestine who sought to redefine Judaism in more intimate terms while believing his push for reformation would precursor the arrival of the new kingdom of god the Jews were expecting. Nothing more, nothing less, however, later followers, notably Paul who moved amongst a [larger] world full of mystery religions and their mystical savior gods and gnosticism remade this Jesus and set the stage for later Christians to equate Jesus with god. This progression is hinted at in the Gospels themselves, written by later Christians using the pen name of earlier followers of Jesus which was probably intended to gain them a reading audience, believing in the credibility of their writings.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 AM

39,091 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Comments? That more and more people are realizing that Christianity is not what Jesus taught (if he even existed) but is a gentilized adaptation of the messianism of the apostles (Ebionites or Nazorenes - probably the same) and which they would not have endorsed. In fact a between - lines reading of Luke/Acts and Paul implies that they didn't approve at all.

But even present Christianity isn't Paulinism. It was reinvented by Constantine as a Roman state religion with a different Top god and a whole new set of demi -gods and semi-demi gods.

This atheists for Jesus is fine, so long as they avoid the trap of referring to the gospels as though eyewitness. I don't doubt that the Theists will soon see through the pro - Jesus title and denounce it as yet another goddless attack on the truth of the Bible.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 AM

One day a man was walking through a forest and saw arrows shot through drawn targets pinned on trees along the path. The arrows on each target were shot dead on in the middle; perfect shots. Finally he caught up with the archer. He asked him how was he able to make such shots even from seemingly difficult angles. The archer said, "oh it's easy. All I do is first shoot the arrow into the tree and then I draw the target around it."

The tree is history, the target is the Gospel, Jesus is the arrow and Christians are the archers.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,854,256 times
The real question is how or specifically WHY do people base their philosophical outlook on life based on a culture emanating out of the middle east desert region?

Granted the doctrine was carried forward by the then Roman empire but looking at the Jewish population of the world today, around 6M, one wonder how this "chosen" people have not managed to significantly increase their populace since biblical times.

If god was real, he would have been better off "revealing himself" to a culture that was far more advanced with a bigger population. When all origins of man point to Africa, one wonder how or why, the good lawd did not appear to the folk back here. When one looks at the various religions worldwide, they are all man made, christianity just being one of many. The new christianity of today is very much an American thingy whose influence and tentacles expand into many parts of the world where the RCC numbers have dwindled.

Personally I think if churches in the USA lost their tax exempt status, they would diminish to the same insignificant level the church has elsewhere in the world, as I understand it, you can deduct tithes as a tax exemption on a personal level, take that away too and lets see how long they last or can exert their influence?

Basically, the USA tax status quo floats your religion.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,508,483 times
Wink Is this so different?

The measure of reality you are concerned about in "Atheists for Jesus" is to nevertheless seek Faith in something concretely discussed and worked upon for the love of a regional or confounded respectable justice of sorts for idealizations. But this is organizable and capable of offering in the supernatural framework of humanity getting together. Let us refer to the original concept: "Jesus HATES religion." Remember that one at the earlier part of the decade 2000. I believe that they felt that telling ideas secularist from ritualized WAS NOT necessary.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,620,253 times
This tread makes no sense. Why would a logical Atheist pick a make-believe deity to support? Why would they pick one with such a violent history, who supported slavery, and whose followers committed one genocide after the other?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
It doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This tread makes no sense. Why would a logical Atheist pick a make-believe deity to support? Why would they pick one with such a violent history, who supported slavery, and whose followers committed one genocide after the other?
I'm a little confused, CNC. Then again I did not read through the whole site. Aren't they treating Jesus as if he was JUST man and not a deity and who has the violent history...Jesus or the religion that sprung up around his name?

The impression I got is that they are treating Jesus as just another teacher who taught certain age old values who said some things worthy of note and mention (whether they were just repeats of other ancient teachers). Help me out, friend.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:54 PM

705 posts, read 943,836 times
I think an athiest could view jesus from a non-religious perspective, much like I look at other people, contemporary persons and historcal. Some people think jesus didnt exist and some do. An athiest person could believe jesus did exist and I'm sure there is something to garner from the teachings and writings that are atributed to him. I would think most people are of the opinion that athiests would not consider jesus or anything having to do with jesus as these people are connecting jesus and religion, therefore an athiest, being non-reilgious would reject jesus.

I for one always consider any and all information I can gather. Lots of folks are surprised that I am somewhat schooled in the bible and on numerous religions. As an athiest I do not practice any religion, I do not pray, I do not financially support any church or religion. I have and I will continue to assist anyone who asks me to do so. I think the last thing anyone should do is refuse to listen to other people's viewpoints or refuse to consider anything someone has to say. A lot of what I get from other people usually tends to reinforce my athiesm, but I'd be foolish not to listen to them. Same with the jesus issue, I'll listen to and consider anything on the topic. Knowledge is power, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism