U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,163,665 times

Advertisements

like an achievement patch on their sleeve remind me of some others who strap C4 to their midriff and detonate it.

When I was very young I was taught that religion and politics have no place in civil discussion.

That's why I frequent these forums...for the first time in my life it's an opportunity to have my say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,853,629 times
I was looking for the exact quote but cannot find it but goes something like;

Intelligent people discuss ideas and concepts
Smart people discuss events and happenings
Dumb people just discuss other people

Kinda make one wonder where we fit in on this 3-tier ranking eh?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I was looking for the exact quote but cannot find it but goes something like;

Intelligent people discuss ideas and concepts
Smart people discuss events and happenings
Dumb people just discuss other people

Kinda make one wonder where we fit in on this 3-tier ranking eh?
Yeah and that would work except 80% of the people in this country believes they have the best wife, dog and religious belief. Throw in the fact that they think America is the best country in the world and it's just best to keep quiet most of the time.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,252,327 times
Isn't it amazing how the christians call all non christians "heathen" because they have different/no beliefs? They appear to be using the term in a disparaging manner which would be inconsistent with their stated belief system.

Just saying.....

Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,853,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Isn't it amazing how the christians call all non christians "heathen" because they have different/no beliefs? They appear to be using the term in a disparaging manner which would be inconsistent with their stated belief system.

Just saying.....
Yeah and they forget the good Samaritan was a dog in the eyes of the Jews yet look at what the parable teaches. Their favourite Lazerus and the rich man, ol' lazzy was deemed unclean and an undesirable and look where he ended up

I still think if jesus was here today he would be hanging out with the heathen and laughing with us at the folk next door

Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM

10,513 posts, read 10,327,737 times
Now hold on a minute there, I resemble those heathens and I'm darn proud of it...., at least it has afforded me the right to think for myself and be open-minded about all beliefs and cultures instead of going around like an old horse with blinders....

Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Yeah and they forget the good Samaritan was a dog in the eyes of the Jews yet look at what the parable teaches. Their favourite Lazerus and the rich man, ol' lazzy was deemed unclean and an undesirable and look where he ended up

I still think if jesus was here today he would be hanging out with the heathen and laughing with us at the folk next door
Down here in the bible belt Christians are taught to "Shake Their Dust From Your Feet!" if their efforts to give testimony or convert are not received well. They rely heavily on the verse which reads, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me"
~John 14:6~

They truly believe it's their way or the hiway.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Folks Who Flaunt Their Religious Belief

I suspect we have all seen quite a few of them, people who flaunt their religion rather than live it. It is religion as an act, not as a way of life.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:40 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,361,885 times
you have an excellent point melvin.george, that's why I spent 21 long years not discussing religion, politics, countries...and I didn't realize how bad it was till I came back here...one tends to make the best of a situation...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,401,578 times
It's simply a way for that person to feel superior to you. By them being looked upon as a "good christian" it makes them feel holy/better than the rest of us who have enough brains to question.
Many are afraid of dying so they must cling to the myth of eternal life if they follow the instructions of a holy book.
Many are just miserable and have maybe given up their hopes and dreams and now clench the only hope left: A better "life" after they die. Rather than strive for success, give up and give in and receive eternal life.

It's the most perfect example of legal and accepted insanity.

Just as the human brain has gotten smarter through the ages I hope it continues to get smarter and perhaps the entire human race will grow to see the truth one day. That mythology and fairy tales are just that.

After re-reading that I must add that I am not trying to lump them all into the same bucket, or judge them. I am only going by what I have observed time and time and time again. I have, on rare occasion, met some very non-pushy xtians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or