Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times

Advertisements

Is there any "conflict" between conservative atheists and liberal atheists?

As a rule, I have no conflict with other atheists, also, as a rule, I have no conflict with christians as long as they don't try to preach at me. I have very little patience with preaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
I don’t think there is any problem. I am Atheist and consider myself a moderate, I know several liberal Atheist, and some who might be on the conservative side, but I don’t see any conflict related to their lack of belief in a deity. The issue is similar to if I like or don’t like peas, this view has nothing to do with my view on religion.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Exactly. The only thing that Atheists have in common is that we don't believe in a deity. The rest is all over the map. We can argue about politics, etc just like anyone else.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I wonder if this topic would be allowed in the chister forum, started by an atheist?

Is there any "conflict" between conservative christers and liberal christers?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Just take a look at the Episcopal Church in the USA concerning gays in the clergy.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Hi,
One of my really close friends in LA is pro life and believes that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman. He professes atheism. A few months ago I started a thread here asking if there were pro life atheists and if they received any flack for their stance, and some said that they did, while others said it wasn't an issue amongst their atheist friends. So, I was just wondering, is their any tension between socially and fiscally conservative atheists and more liberally minded ones? Just curious. Thanks
An atheist doesn't believe in a god or gods.....what would that have to do with political affiliation or if they all like meatloaf or red cars.....it's not a club you join...

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I haven't had many conflicts with other Atheists about conservativism or liberalism. Then again, I don't know many Atheists in real life. Most of the Atheists I do know are very socially liberal, as am I.

As far as political motivations are concerned, I feel more and more like I cannot affiliate myself with either political party the U.S. has these days. I abhor the vile Christian agenda the Republican Party has decided to cater to and their policy-making efforts show as a result of that. The Democrats, our alleged 'liberals,' have shown themselves to be almost completely ineffective and hardly liberal at all. They hold a mega-majority in the Senate (and an overwhelming one in the House) and they still couldn't pass a health-care bill. George W. Bush did whatever the hell he wanted to for an excruciatingly long time and hardly had the party majority the Democrats do. And the thing is, I don't blame Obama for the Democrats' ineffectiveness. I liked his health care plan, I still do. I like his vision and I think he is one of the truer liberals that we have. But, I think the Democrats just suck. It makes it very hard to vote when you're limited to two parties.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Yes there is. I've been in nearly knock-down drag-out fights with other atheists over politics, usually gun control, health care, taxes, and the like.

I'm a classical liberal in the European sense so I clash with both sides of American politics, conservative and (American) liberalism.
Well, I tend to think of myself as somewhat liberal. I hunt and fish, bought my lifetime license for all hunting and fishing in the state over 20 years ago and use it year round. Does that make me liberal or conservative,...beats me? I don't think the government has the right to tell a pregnant teenager that she has to have that baby, even if she does not want to. I don't think any school system has the right to make any child pray, or think that they have to pray. I also think that lethal injection is not enough punishment for serial murderers, or serial rapists although, in the latter case I would accept castration. I believe that people who drink and drive at double the legal limit should be put on trial for attempted murder. I also believe that what ever goes on between consenting adults is none of the states business. I would like to see some sort of punishment for bigotry, but am somewhat stuck on what "appropriate" would entail. I truly dislike hate crimes. I have no idea if I am conservative or liberal, maybe just a kook?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I'm not big on politics so I don't know what I would technically be classified as, but I have been in conversations where fellow atheists/agnostics would jump to the conclusion that I'm Christian merely because I'm pro-life/anti-elective-abortions.
Well, since I am male, I do not consider my position on the abortion issue to be germane. To me it is only a theoretical issue, to others it is slightly more serious than a heart attack. I do understand both sides of the issue but give greater weight on the side of the already living.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, I tend to think of myself as somewhat liberal. I hunt and fish, bought my lifetime license for all hunting and fishing in the state over 20 years ago and use it year round. Does that make me liberal or conservative,...beats me? I don't think the government has the right to tell a pregnant teenager that she has to have that baby, even if she does not want to. I don't think any school system has the right to make any child pray, or think that they have to pray. I also think that lethal injection is not enough punishment for serial murderers, or serial rapists although, in the latter case I would accept castration. I believe that people who drink and drive at double the legal limit should be put on trial for attempted murder. I also believe that what ever goes on between consenting adults is none of the states business. I would like to see some sort of punishment for bigotry, but am somewhat stuck on what "appropriate" would entail. I truly dislike hate crimes. I have no idea if I am conservative or liberal, maybe just a kook?

To my view, both parties are conservative. One detests personal economic freedom, and the other detests personal moral freedom. Both parties seek to consolidate power into centralized mechanisms of control. That makes them conservative. A liberal prefers power at the individual level. The nature of that power shouldn't be an issue if what is important is the distinction between individual powers and centralized powers. The two parties in the United States have lost that distinction and now only bicker about what freedoms and powers to snatch away from the people next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism