Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
American capitalists couldn't compete with a command economy. I thought you believed in a free market economy?
There is a difference between free trade and fair free trade. There is a reason we have laws and regulations. If we would not allow a Chinese factor on our soil, why should we allow their products in our stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM

15,846 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they are mutually exclusive for us in the middle. We make choices on the available information at any given time and try to help as many as we can.

The middle of the roader does not pick a solution to a problem based on
"I am atheist so I ... " or
"I am a lady liberal so I ... (don't think at all )"
"I am a rightie tightie so I ... (close my mind)

"apologetics" is the only reason position on most ideas. Apologetics means: use what you know. And it is ok to change an aopinion based on new informatiom.

a·pol·o·get·ics
əˌpäləˈjetiks/Submit

noun
reasoned arguments
Hey Goldilocks, you reminded me of this from the Prophet Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
He is the unknown, she is definitely going to further grow government and degrade Liberty.
Yeah for FUD!!!!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:11 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Well to keep this thread from going off the rails and getting shut down, rather than talk about conservative or liberal political dogma I'm just going to reiterate that atheism is way too narrow a position on a single topic to dictate politics or even to generally dictate whether a person is conservative or liberal in their propensities. Or even (anti)authoritarian.

Atheists have tended thus far to be liberally minded, and anti-authoritarian, for various reasons -- and arguably also intellectuals, non-joiners and maybe even introverts. But as atheism becomes a larger minority and perhaps one day even a majority, you will see those tendencies normalize and we will have the same variety of people as any other group. There is nothing inherent in atheism to discourage freethought in all areas of life. Freedom of thought inherently has to allow for all ideological possibilities and preferences.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Hey Goldilocks, you reminded me of this from the Prophet Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ
thank you for "goldilocks", its a great zone.

Me and george would have got alone great.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
American capitalists couldn't compete with a command economy. I thought you believed in a free market economy?
I do, free trade with limits. Country first, business second. We Capitalist that go unchecked are dangerous. zThat doesn't mean I am against capitalism. Thats silly.

we still have the problem of who teaches morals.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 PM

15,846 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
thank you for "goldilocks", its a great zone.

Me and george would have got alone great.
I saw him live in Vegas in 93. My dad had the 7 Dirty Words album and my brother and I would sit and listen to that thing over and over again in secret. It was my middle finger to the cult as a kid.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I do, free trade with limits. Country first, business second. We Capitalist that go unchecked are dangerous. zThat doesn't mean I am against capitalism. Thats silly.

we still have the problem of who teaches morals.
I hear constantly that the only goal for a company is to make a profit for the shareholders. I think that puts the morals issue down like a sick dog.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
I hear constantly that the only goal for a company is to make a profit for the shareholders. I think that puts the morals issue down like a sick dog.
It is the business of business to profit. Profit is the measure of efficiency. All *parties in the economy should be operating in their best interest. This insures maximum efficiency and prosperity. It is hypocritical to chastise business for acting in its best interest. In most cases, it is advantagist for companies to make all parties happy in the economy, which does not mean it is only thinking of you, alone.

*consumers, employees, investors

Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It is the business of business to profit. Profit is the measure of efficiency. All *parties in the economy should be operating in their best interest. This insures maximum efficiency and prosperity. It is hypocritical to chastise business for acting in its best interest. In most cases, it is advantagist for companies to make all parties happy in the economy, which does not mean it is only thinking of you, alone.

*consumers, employees, investors
And thus the amoral operations of corporations. And it's not hypocritical to call a thief a thief, when he's doing the stealing for his own benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism