Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That really is good.
AWWWW Shucks, Why.....thanky maam.. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
When I was watching the news of this tragedy, I understood the caution that the Haitian government was showing when it was ONLY allowing children that were already in the adoption process to be removed from the country.

With the chaos that has been shown on TV how could they possibly know if parents or other relatives are dead, alive or injured in only a month?

I am no fighter for the christians however I have a hard time believing the intended harm, however I think their arrogance of being sent from the hand of god to rescue these children might have gotten them into the trouble you are in.
I mean honestly, how do you go to a foreign country and start packing off stray children and not know the problems involved in that?? I believe this is a show of ignorance on their part rather then any intent to break the law.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
"Exploitation" is a subjectively broad term with far reaching implications...

Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When I was watching the news of this tragedy, I understood the caution that the Haitian government was showing when it was ONLY allowing children that were already in the adoption process to be removed from the country.

With the chaos that has been shown on TV how could they possibly know if parents or other relatives are dead, alive or injured in only a month?

I am no fighter for the christians however I have a hard time believing the intended harm, however I think their arrogance of being sent from the hand of god to rescue these children might have gotten them into the trouble you are in.
I mean honestly, how do you go to a foreign country and start packing off stray children and not know the problems involved in that?? I believe this is a show of ignorance on their part rather then any intent to break the law.
They talked with the parents in some cases, and knew the children were not orphans. They suffered from more than religious arrogance, they viewed themselves as being above the law, and being charged is the least Haiti should have done.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
we'd be under the jail or burned at the stake....maybe they'd say it was satans doings....at least they could say it was due to the fact we lead a godless life...

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM

true chielgirl, why can't they see the senselessness and wrong in that?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
June, the sticky says nothing.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
From my readings and memory, the woman who led this group was having financial difficulties. She defaulted on her mortgage and her ex-emplyees were prosecuting her because she did not pay them.

Some of the 8 people who were released from Haitian prision said they felt duped by her.

I also heard that the Haitian government declared the crisis to be over (probably because there was no way that our contributed monies was allowed to get into their corrupt hands) and has started charging charitable institutions for funneling goods into the hands of the poor of the country. A guy with tents to give the people was not allowed to until he paid the government. Others say the government wanted them to just turn the goods over to them.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM

corruption thrives in poor countries...it's not only in Haiti...how do you think people like Madonna and Angelina Jolie buy these babies..they don't seem to want children from their own countries while there are plenty in England and the US who need a home.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM

51 posts, read 122,309 times
Default Really, god was just synonymous with greed in this case

Kind of a late bloomer, but just saw this!

Laura Silsby, a local missionary to Haiti, left trail of financial woes in Idaho | Local News | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/02/04/1067267/haiti-missionary-left-trail-of.html - broken link)

Apparently, Laura Silsby is NOT the saint she and the church are making her out to be.

A trail of indictments, history of breaking the law, financial troubles etc. are what led her to this.

The others it seems were mere casualties. Silsby's grand plan was to get tax benefits for these kids!! Douche bag!!

Actually seems very much aligned with the god the religious paint - really.

- greedy, self-centered, egotistical self-praising, aggrandizing, entitled lunatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism