U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-02-2010, 05:23 PM

8,407 posts, read 5,788,271 times
Default Tennessee state approved Bible classes...

...for public schools.

Tennessee's new state approved Bible class

Now, I'm not entirely sure how against this I am. After all, it's entirely elective, and the supposed intention is to learn about the Bible from a secular standpoint. I think there is potential for this to be a genuine learning experience, but I have a few concerns, mainly...

Why is it just a Bible class? If the intentions are entirely secular, why not make it an elective course on religions of the world? Seems to me that could be a more beneficial class overall. Creating guidelines specifically for a Bible class makes the whole thing seem fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,070,421 times
Looks like more work for the ACLU, I think they need to start making the school board pay for the legal fees, wouldn’t take long till they saw the light when it was taking their green.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:27 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,431,128 times
It's just another way to get creationist dogma into the classroom.
Is'nt that unconstitutional?

Unread 02-03-2010, 04:46 AM

8,407 posts, read 5,788,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Looks like more work for the ACLU...
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Is'nt that unconstitutional?
Supposedly they'd specifically engineered these guidelines to avoid lawsuits. It all seems very suspicious to me.

Unread 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM

19,135 posts, read 12,420,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Supposedly they'd specifically engineered these guidelines to avoid lawsuits. It all seems very suspicious to me.
We had a 'bible/religious studies' elective when I was in high school. I lasted about 2 weeks before realizing it was simply a bible study class that spent about 2 class periods briefly going over the worlds religions and the rest of the semester on Christianity.

What a BS class. Took World Religions in college and it was quite possibly my favorite class (except for maybe Aeroacoustics....but that's a whole different story).

This does seem like a ploy to get bible study in school.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM

7,917 posts, read 10,532,683 times
I also find it suspicious. I think it would be very likely that the teacher who happened to teach this class would be a Christian and you might find some who would be able to be neutral in terms of their personal faith and teach it like any other class but there would certainly be others who would turn the classroom into a place to preach which clearly violates the separation of church and state. They're just trying to get their foot in the door.

Unread 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,431,128 times
Am I right in thinking that Louisiana has already passed an anti-evolution "Academic Freedom" law.
Teaching creationism in Americas schools will most certainly damage childrens scholastic future.

Unread 02-04-2010, 03:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 13,633,316 times
I don't have a problem with an elective class in biblical literature class, many schools have had that sort of thing over the years. If a non christian teacher, or substitute teacher, can teach it then it's probably on the up-and-up. If not...well there ya go.

Unread 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,016,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
...for public schools.

Tennessee's new state approved Bible class

Now, I'm not entirely sure how against this I am. After all, it's entirely elective, and the supposed intention is to learn about the Bible from a secular standpoint. I think there is potential for this to be a genuine learning experience, but I have a few concerns, mainly...

Why is it just a Bible class? If the intentions are entirely secular, why not make it an elective course on religions of the world? Seems to me that could be a more beneficial class overall. Creating guidelines specifically for a Bible class makes the whole thing seem fishy.
The intent isn't secular.

It would be nice if Religion classes included talks about humanism and atheism. I realize it's supposed to be about religion but why not bring up people who are not religious?

Unread 02-04-2010, 10:07 AM

19,135 posts, read 12,420,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Am I right in thinking that Louisiana has already passed an anti-evolution "Academic Freedom" law.
Teaching creationism in Americas schools will most certainly damage childrens scholastic future.
Crazy.

People may talk crap about California, but at least we don't do things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism