U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:59 AM

13,144 posts, read 19,274,262 times

Advertisements

When I first started posting here I was much more deistic in my beliefs. I'd already abandoned church, but I still wasn't ready to abandon everything I believed. But over the last 4 or so years I have been gradually going more and more toward atheism, simply because that is what the evidence points too.

Before you all jump up and congratulate yourselves for converting me though, I'm gonna have to take the credit away from y'all and give it to myself:

I completed a degree in Anthropology, studied religions from all over the world in depth, delved into the paranormal and tried to look at it all from a variety of perspectives. I've read a book almost weekly (sometimes daily) on a variety of subjects related somehow to my search for answers and tried to put it all together in my head. This forum has been helpful too for getting new perspectives and getting the "heads up" on stuff I didn't previously know about.

So after synthesizing a boat-load of information, I have to admit, contrary to my own personal desires, the evidence points strongly to the atheist explanation as the most accurate description for our existence. Even my most bizarre and powerful personal religious and paranormal experiences can just as easily be explained by conventional means as they can by supernatural ones. I still don't believe science knows everything and could easily be wrong in many areas, but nevertheless, scientific evidence is there, plain as day and easy to access for anyone willing to learn.

The thought is chilling though to someone who has always believed he was more than the sum of his parts and that existence had a purpose beyond merely living as an inconsequential being for a ridiculiously short amount of time. It's lonely out here, and I can honestly understand why people cling to beliefs that seem ridiculous for the first time. Anyways, back to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,788,509 times
When I was in Jr. High, I had some friends tell me to 'read the bible' because I was showing 'agnostic' tendencies. After I read the bible and went to bible study at the local church...I became an Atheist.

Backfired, eh?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,305,338 times
You should absolutely credit yourself. All anyone can do is show you the door. We each choose whether to walk through it.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

15,400 posts, read 10,416,145 times
I agree with scarmig. All credit to you chango...for taking the time and effort to look at and accept what the evidence says rather than only accepting what you want to be true. Bravo dude!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,860,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When I first started posting here I was much more deistic in my beliefs. I'd already abandoned church, but I still wasn't ready to abandon everything I believed. But over the last 4 or so years I have been gradually going more and more toward atheism, simply because that is what the evidence points too.

Before you all jump up and congratulate yourselves for converting me though, I'm gonna have to take the credit away from y'all and give it to myself:

I completed a degree in Anthropology, studied religions from all over the world in depth, delved into the paranormal and tried to look at it all from a variety of perspectives. I've read a book almost weekly (sometimes daily) on a variety of subjects related somehow to my search for answers and tried to put it all together in my head. This forum has been helpful too for getting new perspectives and getting the "heads up" on stuff I didn't previously know about.

So after synthesizing a boat-load of information, I have to admit, contrary to my own personal desires, the evidence points strongly to the atheist explanation as the most accurate description for our existence. Even my most bizarre and powerful personal religious and paranormal experiences can just as easily be explained by conventional means as they can by supernatural ones. I still don't believe science knows everything and could easily be wrong in many areas, but nevertheless, scientific evidence is there, plain as day and easy to access for anyone willing to learn.

The thought is chilling though to someone who has always believed he was more than the sum of his parts and that existence had a purpose beyond merely living as an inconsequential being for a ridiculiously short amount of time. It's lonely out here, and I can honestly understand why people cling to beliefs that seem ridiculous for the first time. Anyways, back to work...
Moderator cut: Deleted as inappropriate (even in jest)

Just to parrot what's already been said here, the bolded part is exactly as it should be. Nobody should believe something just because someone else says so; that even goes for atheist telling people "there is no Gawd!"

So, congratulations

Now what are you going to do to celebrate? I think you deserve something good.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-03-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,603,540 times
I'm impressed with all the research you did. I'm somewhat in that spot, but, haven't done near that amount of research. I'd love to hear about your supernatural and paranormal experiences. Also, were there certain books that you researched that made it "click" in your mind, and made it all come together?

Oh, and, when is your book coming out? I'd buy it!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM

608 posts, read 532,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

The more you study the more you should know what is trivia and what is substantial in re God exists.

You have come to objections against the existence of God but they are all what I call trivia.

Tell you what, give me one objection to God which to you is the most crucial in making you more and more an atheist, i.e., a human without any belief in any deity.

But just concentrate on the God of the Christians, Muslims, and Jews, don't bring in any gods which don't make any importance in today's world but could be in the ancient past of ancient peoples and for these ancient peoples in their ancient times and thoughts.

Think about this, even Satan knows God and you are not yet as brilliant in your intelligence as Satan, hahaha!

What about demons which are capable of possessing humans and making them do all kinds of embarrassing to themselves antics, they also know God, and you are not as powerful and as naughty as demons, hahaha!

They are laughing at you, for having a bit of intelligence and some smithereens of learning you are so full of your self-chutzpah as to conclude that there is no evidence for God so there is no God, hahaha!

Ryrge

Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,249,558 times
I wish more people would arrive at their conclusions the way you have: on your own.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM

4,145 posts, read 5,125,771 times
It's good that you arrived at your conclusions through reason and your own investigation of the facts and evidence rather than what others tell you.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,548,668 times
Existentialism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It's good that you arrived at your conclusions through reason and your own investigation of the facts and evidence rather than what others tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism