Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

Even moderate Christians can pick out statements by the lunatic fringe and deride them. They regard them aas giving their religion a black eye (they are right), so they may be more adamant than atheists.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I dislike the term "moderate Christians" since it implies they are "less Christian" than the lunatic fringe. I would say there are very devout Christians who hold moderate and even very progressive views on social matters. I came of age among several of these, social activists and gay activists informed by a strong theological tradition.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I dislike the term "moderate Christians" since it implies they are "less Christian" than the lunatic fringe. I would say there are very devout Christians who hold moderate and even very progressive views on social matters. I came of age among several of these, social activists and gay activists informed by a strong theological tradition.
Or they are just 'christian for show' as most don't live a so called christian life, they just put on a show for the Jones's.

My dad, a successful local businessman, used to tell me, "Son; there is only one reason to go to church on Sunday. That is to see who is sitting in the front row, cause that is the crook that will try to screw u on Monday" Sage advise from a wise man

Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Or they are just 'christian for show' as most don't live a so called christian life, they just put on a show for the Jones's.

My dad, a successful local businessman, used to tell me, "Son; there is only one reason to go to church on Sunday. That is to see who is sitting in the front row, cause that is the crook that will try to screw u on Monday" Sage advise from a wise man
Well yes, that happens, and sometimes the one in the pulpit is a Ted Haggard.

I tend to favor the back row so people don't look at my bald spot.

The last time I was in a front pew was in an evangelical-type megachurch at my boyfriend's funeral. We hadn't been together that long before he died, and never moved in together, but his family insisted I sit with them in the front row. At first I sat several rows back with my friends but the family kept motioning for me to move up, so I did. It made me uncomfortable since I was agnostic at the time and they knew that, but I appreciated the acknowledgment. I knew them all and they always made me feel accepted. They thanked me by name for my "love and support" (during his illness) in the obituary. It showed me that even a lot of born-again types aren't that narrow-minded, they obviously had loved their brother no matter what.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unfortunately . . . you are not the measure of Godliness. "Nature" is about as Godlike as you get short of the myriad BELIEF systems out there . . . including the atheist "mindless, indifferent, and purposeless" one . . . NONE of them have any proof or possibility of proof (including the atheist one). That makes the rejection of even their own God . . . hardly open-minded.

But this is just YOUR OPINION.... which makes you closed minded. You seem like you are almost hostile to someone having a different opinion than you have.... not good man!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
But this is just YOUR OPINION.... which makes you closed minded. You seem like you are almost hostile to someone having a different opinion than you have.... not good man!
Not his fault, save for the refusal to actually think, it is a learned behavior, starts early as parents demand their children learn myth as fact, and many can never free themselves from the brain washing no matter the number of degrees they attain later in life. Pity them..... yet don't take any guff from them.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
NOt remotely hostile . . . just tired of the close-minded default of no God for which there is no basis whatsoever and ample reason to believe otherwise. How do you discount the very source of your existence and mind as NOT God.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Not his fault, save for the refusal to actually think, it is a learned behavior, starts early as parents demand their children learn myth as fact, and many can never free themselves from the brain washing no matter the number of degrees they attain later in life. Pity them..... yet don't take any guff from them.
How can you not know my history? . . Have you not read any of my posts explaining it. You seem to have an extensive history on C-D. Perhaps you can tell me what "Nature" would have to be for you to consider that it qualifies as God . . . Why you think it doesn't . . . and how you know that?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How can you not know my history? . . Have you not read any of my posts explaining it.
Did you really post that
You would worry less about what people thought of you if you knew how seldom they thought of you.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Did you really post that
You would worry less about what people thought of you if you knew how seldom they thought of you.
I do not worry about what anyone thinks of me . . . but when they make statements characterizing me and my views I expect them to have at least read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism