Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:08 AM

325 posts, read 979,338 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Raleigh? It is a very nice city, and from you tell about your situation, I wouldn't advise you move here if she is not comfortable. I can't really speak on interracial dating (because I've never done it), but sometimes people can be cruel. Atlanta is a prodominently black city, and although it is somewhat culturally forward, it still has its hang ups like any other city. The Raleigh, Cary, Durham areas of NC are reasonable, and appropriately cater to your situation (I think). So why not do your research on those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 06:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
So, I do think there is a struggle to find an affordable [under 250-300k] middle-class, intregated neighborhood, with good schools, and with a significant AA middle-class presence.
I think the real blocker in this wish list is the price. "Middle class" neighborhoods ITP have much more expensive housing than that.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
I am wondering how old you are, my husband is 43, I'm thinking he may have experienced more problems w/being a black guy w/white friends when he was growing up because he was in school back in the 70s / early 80s.

I guess I am basing a lot of my opinions regarding the difficulties of finding an integrated INTOWN neighborhood on this thread. The stated goal of the OP in that thread is to find a craftsman-style home, 300k max, in an Intown neighborhood with good schools, which is also racially diverse... this is what she had to say about what she was finding:

I understand her struggle, as a parent of AA/bi kids, I don't want all their examples of AA's to be low income AAs - this sends the wrong message.

So, I do think there is a struggle to find an affordable [under 250-300k] middle-class, intregated neighborhood, with good schools, and with a significant AA middle-class presence.

Yeah, I know I'm putting a lot of qualifiers on the neighborhood/socio-economic/diversity requirements - but that's what parents tend to do when they are seeking out the ideal environment for raising their family. If you don't have kids, you probably are not as picky about where you live.

I think some of the very newest "urban renewal" or "gentrification" neighborhoods hold the most promise for truely intregated neighborhoods within Intown ATL.

I really don't know about suburban neighborhoods in and around ATL, that hasn't been the focus of my research since we have no plans to move to the suburbs of ATL.

I do agree that inter-racial couples are pretty much left alone in ATL, but when we have received flak, it's usually been from the black community. For example, black women who get all 'tuddie once they realize I'm married to a black man - when they were just fine prior to the revelation. My aforementioned BIL... but the tension is very minimal.
Well I just turned 40 so i'm right there.Even before we moved in the suburbs of Atlanta in the eighties from Warner Robins ,Georgia we have always lived in mostly white neighborhoods,but its not like there were not enough of other blacks in the same neighborhood.Yes price is a big factor when you consider the options the OP mentioned when looking inside the perimeter.However there are so many places in many of the suburbs that are very racially intergrated with good schools ,low crime and resonable housing.Areas like in parts of Cobb,Fayette,Gwinnet,and Henry counties..Inside the perimeter the variables change.In Atlanta there are many neighbords that are also predominately A.A. and are upper income with decent schools.Like the Cascade area.

I know there black people who are more vocal nowadays.And if you are a white woman with ablack husband,you will get the attitude from black women.Thats everywhere!LOL!It reminds me of the new Wayans Brother movie called Dance Flick where the black guy turns away just before he kisses his white girlfriend after he spots two black girls walking by and says out loud "I don't know you" to the white girl.LOL.It so true its sad.

I have 2 good friends who are an interacialcouple in their 20's.She is also from guess where?..Minnesota!He is from Ghana.They got married and moved here after medical school last year.They now live in the Grant Park area.They love it.They are both new Doctors,so they have more options on the places they want to live.

You are correct in your assertion about the new gentrified neiborhoods that hold promise.You are also correct about if you have kids you are more picky about the area.As you should be.I dont have kids but I have many friends from different backgrounds that live in the city and around the city.
In the downtown area of Decatur, East Lake,and East Atanta area are great diverse areas with nice homes from $200-$300 thousands.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know there black people who are more vocal nowadays.And if you are a white woman with ablack husband,you will get the attitude from black women.Thats everywhere!LOL!It reminds me of the new Wayans Brother movie called Dance Flick where the black guy turns away just before he kisses his white girlfriend after he spots two black girls walking by and says out loud "I don't know you" to the white girl.LOL.It so true its sad.
LOL! We just saw a promo of that movie, w/that scene, last night. I cringed, my husband LOLd.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 80,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
No one should have to convince someone to move someplace. Come for a few days and see for yourselves. She may be pleasantly surprised.

I agree. However, you guys need to get those degrees if you plan on getting a real job. Also how stong is your relationship--you might like Atlanta a liitle too much. (One has a chance to get in a lot of trouble, if not careful, lots of women throwing themselves at you). But over all a nice place to live. In my opnion stay away from all the apt complexs in Stone Mountain off Juliette Dr. its extra ghetto over there. If your price range warrants it, try to get a place on N.Druid in Decatur, there are plenty of apts from Lawrencville Highway to say Buford Highway, splintering off this road.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
And again folks - the OP posted this two years ago. They're probably not seeing your answers. LOL

I mean, hey, I'll leave the thread up just for entertainment value, but if you all are hoping the OP is reading the replies after two years of inactivity in the thread, my guess is "no".

Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 141,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
And again folks - the OP posted this two years ago. They're probably not seeing your answers. LOL

I mean, hey, I'll leave the thread up just for entertainment value, but if you all are hoping the OP is reading the replies after two years of inactivity in the thread, my guess is "no".
Poor STPaulEastsider wrote a novel to the OP too.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autigers19 View Post
poor stpauleastsider wrote a novel to the op too.
lol!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
you never know...CD sends an email to you when someone responds to your post....if their email address is still active they might get a notice and come check it...

But, yeah, usually posts this old aren't worth the bothering with.

At the same time I always wonder...what happened? What's the rest of the story?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
you never know...CD sends an email to you when someone responds to your post....if their email address is still active they might get a notice and come check it...
It only does that if you choose to configure it that way when you subscribe to a forum on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta