Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:52 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This is very true. Some companies and some industries may have a culture that allows you to walk in the door at 9am and out the door at 5pm. The high tech industry is not one of those, but I think you are focused too much on material things. It's not just material things that are facilitated by doing well in your career and getting to a certain level within an organization.

I get more vacation time, excellent health and other benefits, and more resources to enjoy time with my family. $$$ can translate into that great vacation or a day out with the kids. Why do people automatically assume that success only equates to some desire for more toys or material things?
I agree with all the above but particularly want to stress the bolded part. I'm in the high-tech industry too, and although I have some good time flexibility (obviously) and some other decent benefits, I work a lot of extra hours. Our industry has become very bottom-line focused in recent years. I regret to say it, but senior management in my company wouldn't hesitate to reassign my job to an offshore outsource were I not a top producer. As the principal financial supporter of my family at present, frankly I see it as my responsibility to them to do what it takes to keep a roof over their head and food on the table, rather than knocking off at 5pm sharp every day to spend quality time with them. If I did that I'd risk becoming a candidate for one of the waves of layoffs we enjoy whenever the business takes a dip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

136 posts, read 478,237 times
I think we have a miscommunication. When I said that some people put a higher value on other things I meant vacation time, benefits etc. as those other things as opposed to toys, ect.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
I think we have a miscommunication. When I said that some people put a higher value on other things I meant vacation time, benefits etc. as those other things as opposed to toys, ect.
Well, we can agree to disagree, and as long as you are content with the path you've chosen (as I am with mine), then all is well.

As a person with a family, benefits are very important to me. If you're single and feel you'll never be sick or injured, or if you believe that the gov't will take care of you and someone else will pay, then I guess you might not be concerned.

I guess if your job/career is just a means to make it through the month to pay the bills, then your point is valid. I think to many people like myself, it's about working hard to provide a higher standard of living and to make it possible to enjoy things in life...things like travel. Sounds like you're not much for vacations.

I love to travel and to see new places, and to enjoy them with my family. I took my then 11 year old son to Europe three years ago for a history tour of WWII battlefields. Two weeks of just the two of us....in England, France, Belgium. Other trips with my wife, daughters, and some with all of us. Memories to treasure for a lifetime.

Yes....it's work working a little harder than the rest. I just wish I could keep more of what I work so hard to earn.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Hmmmmm, my job provides excellent bennies, no need for government assistance here. What exactly does a liking or not liking of travel have to do with the discussion??? You know absolutely nothing about my standard of living, income or work ethic. Sounds like someone really does not know how to agree to disagree...

I hope the vacations make up for all the extra hours spent at work.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Not sure why discussion is getting personal. I am in the crowd that generally works about 40 hours a week but I am very aware that many work much more hours and if needed I would do the same (Its just turned out that the jobs I have held didn't demand it but I also am not a high earner in my field). As mentioned, in many fields that is the norm these days. Some positions are compensated for that extra time with a more generous vacation package and some are not. No need to put someone down because they work a lot of hours.

I greatly value my benefits package: 401k, paid time off etc. One other point is that some people who work long hours really enjoy their work so its not that big a deal to them.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm, my job provides excellent bennies, no need for government assistance here.
Never said there was, but you mentioned that benefits weren't something you don't place value on, and you implied that you didn't care about them. Benefits such as 401K matches, insurance, etc. are very important to me.

Quote:
What exactly does a liking or not liking of travel have to do with the discussion???
You are the one who said "When I said that some people put a higher value on other things I meant vacation time, benefits etc." and you were saying how wrong folks were for putting value on these other things. I was bringing up travel as one form of vacation.

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing about my standard of living, income or work ethic. Sounds like someone really does not know how to agree to disagree.
I never commented on your personal or financial attributes and don't really care. Maybe you can work on that inablity to agree to disagree?

Quote:
I hope the vacations make up for all the extra hours spent at work.
5 weeks per year plus floating holidays helps quite a lot. I also enjoy the accomplishments I achieve at work, so working isn't a chore that I'm forced to do. I feel sorry for people who go to work and hate their jobs or can't wait to leave every day. While I prefer leisure time, I enjoy working too.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Neil, we obviously have an inability to accurately interpret each others' posts and I really have reached the limit of my forum time. I agree that it would be horrible to have a job that you hate and am glad that you get much satisfaction from your career accomplishments. Have a good night.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 PM

6 posts, read 11,834 times
You get an hour for lunch?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Well I feel sorry for you OP because everyone is kind of attacking you. I AGREE WITH YOU. I think it is ridiculous that 1. 9 to 5 somehow morphed into 8 to 5 somewhere in the 80s I think, and 2. We here in America think it is NORMAL to work 10 and 11 hour days. I think this is a major reason why we are so messed up...work is #1 and look at what has happened to our society. It's only one reason but I think it is a significant one that is swept under the rug. Just my .02.
I completely disagree. Work being #1 is not the cause of what is happening in our society. It is the lack of wanting to work that is the issue. The sense of entitlement and wanting things easy is what has happened to our society. People want to win the lottery, get bailouts anything but work. Everyone wants to be like the Europeans, one month vacation everything paid for. I would love those things but if you glance at the news those days are over for them and it is time to pay for it.

It is terrible that 10 and 11 hour days is the norm. I would look for another job if it that was a standard work week. I personally work a 40 hour work week but there are weeks I put in double that and do not get paid extra, just the nature of the job.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
I completely disagree. Work being #1 is not the cause of what is happening in our society. It is the lack of wanting to work that is the issue. The sense of entitlement and wanting things easy is what has happened to our society. People want to win the lottery, get bailouts anything but work. Everyone wants to be like the Europeans, one month vacation everything paid for. I would love those things but if you glance at the news those days are over for them and it is time to pay for it.
Absolutely. Since the Great Depression, the expansion of gov't and the sense of entitlement has grown by leaps and bounds. Instead of being thankful they have a job and are not starving, people now are pissed if they don't get all kinds of perks and comforts. Laziness and a sense of entitlement have definitely replaced hard work for some people.

As for wanting a month of vacation....I get more than that...and earn every day. I have no problem with negotiating your "deal" with your employer and getting what you want. My issue is people who take jobs with low pay or bad benefits, and then they ***** and moan about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta