Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,913 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Atlanta the end of July, because the cost of living in NJ is out of control-everything from rent, gas, utilities, entertainment and food. It cost $12 to see a movie (that's with no snacks) at the movie theatre, and the food and paper products keep going up and have shrunk in size. Is that going on in Atlanta as well. I would like to get to know the area and the cost of living. What are nice areas to live in Atlanta? I have some questions: How much are the taxes? How are the food prices i.e. gallon of milk, loaf of bread, eggs? What is a gallon of gas at now? How are car insurance prices? Thanks, I appreciate the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,429,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaP View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Atlanta the end of July, because the cost of living in NJ is out of control-everything from rent, gas, utilities, entertainment and food. It cost $12 to see a movie (that's with no snacks) at the movie theatre, and the food and paper products keep going up and have shrunk in size. Is that going on in Atlanta as well. I would like to get to know the area and the cost of living. What are nice areas to live in Atlanta? I have some questions: How much are the taxes? How are the food prices i.e. gallon of milk, loaf of bread, eggs? What is a gallon of gas at now? How are car insurance prices? Thanks, I appreciate the help

--Nice Areas of Atlanta-
There is a Sticky at the top of the forum--'Moving to Atlanta' which includes some questions that would help posters identify areas which might be of interest to you.
Atlanta is comprised of 6/7 or more counties and unincorporated areas and it is really difficult to know what you might like.
A previous discussion about COL in ATL, etc>>>
Living In Atlanta

--Cost of Food:
milk--around $3.50/gal
bread--I purchase generic store brands--?? $1.50??
eggs--less than $2---I should check that price--
paper products--generic store brands--many discounts/sales available

--Cost of Gas:
http://www.atlantagasprices.com/

--Car Insurance: Varies with carrier based on vehicle and driving record.

I see movies at discount rate times. IIRC, the last one was about $6 and I probably didn't buy snacks.

There are a lot of discount stores around Atlanta and you can stretch your pennies.

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-16-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM

642 posts, read 2,214,696 times
Hi Lola. I moved from NJ 3 years ago. Housing is pretty consderably cheaper. Other things about the same and some things more expensive. The cost of driving as one example.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,303,453 times
Was here this past weekend - Regal Medlock Crossing 18 Movie Times and Tickets (it is one of the suburbs popular with the transplants)

Adult $11.00
Matinee/Economy (All Shows Before 3pm) $8.50
Child $7.50
Senior $8.00
Student (Sun – Thur Only) $10.00
Military $9.00

Adult $11 seems to be the going rate at the AMCs / Regals, etc.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,145,562 times
i hope you like humidity. About the only place more humid is the Philippines.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,622,930 times
Keep in mind (especially if you work in the NYC metro area) that salaries are often less here as well.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-17-2010 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta