Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times

Advertisements

Just when you think this state cannot go deeper in the manure field.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Enforcement is actually pretty doable. Cops around here may not be very tight on speed limit enforcement, but they're strict as hell on the HOV lanes.

Speaking of Gwinnett County and HOV lanes. About a year ago, I was coming down 85 one night, going about 70-something in the left lane (next to the HOV lane), faster than any other non-HOV lane, but there were cars in the other lane. Somebody behind me got impatient, tailgated me for about a mile, then darted into the HOV lane across the double-white lines (which are illegal to cross). Not fifteen seconds later, blue lights appeared out of nowhere and pulled this guy over. Best experience I've ever had on I-85.

special lanes are enforced by dps, not local cops.

gwinnett couldnt care less to waste resources on 85, especially on the special lanes. once in a blue moon they will patrol it but it is generally limited to catching people doing really stupid things

and lastly you have no idea what they were pulled over for.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Well from what I understand of lane enforcement is that everyone has to have the transponder, even if its 3 people driving free. If a car doesn't have a transponder a camera takes a picture and a ticket is issued.

For 3 people to ride free... they have to register who they are ahead of time. I do see that single instances of someone who registered as a 3 person carpool use the lane free with just 1-2 people, but if they are ever caught they wouldn't just be fined, they would risk losing the privilege to have the free transponder for 3 people.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
This makes me fiery mad. I often do have 3 people in my car so I guess I will still be able to use the lanes, at least part of the time, but I really don't see how this is going to encourage carpooling. I think it will discourage it.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
I understand how you feel MilkMachine, but there is one convincing argument I have heard. As-is now with 2+ carpools the lane already has more traffic in than they want. If they make it more restrictive it will increase the speed and encourage people to 3+ carpool and more importantly encourage people to take the transit buses, since they will be able to move more quickly. Supposedly the solo drivers buying their way in are only for excess capacity that still keeps the lane moving quickly.

I hope this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta