Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I trade at a local BP; I'm very fond of the manager and the employees, who always greet me with a smile. The store itself is not BP-owned (fewer than 10% of stores that carry BP products are), and I do not hold the store and its' employees responsible in any way. Yet, if this empty gesture continues they and their families will indeed suffer. Keep that in mind.

I can't quite understand what good anyone thinks can come from boycotting a local BP station. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,116,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can't quite understand what good anyone thinks can come from boycotting a local BP station. It's ridiculous.

Statements like that are ridiculous.

If you don't buy a product...and millions of others don't buy a product...it will impact the supply chain. Sure, not buying a soda at the food mart won't do anything, but that's not what I'm referring to when I discuss a boycott. I'm talking about not buying fuel at BP.

Why don't you tell Rosa Parks how ineffective of a tactic a boycott can be?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Statements like that are ridiculous.

If you don't buy a product...and millions of others don't buy a product...it will impact the supply chain. Sure, not buying a soda at the food mart won't do anything, but that's not what I'm referring to when I discuss a boycott. I'm talking about not buying fuel at BP.

Why don't you tell Rosa Parks how ineffective of a tactic a boycott can be?
I agree

Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have recently been going out of my way to buy gas and products from BP. The people that are boycotting BP suck, they are not hurting BP, they are only hurting the gas station owners trying to make it. Open your eyes people... please
So you are saving BP or just trying to annoy some posters?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,524,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So you want to make the perfect the enemy of the good? If you can't do everything, then just do nothing? That attitude accounts for many of the reasons why our government and our country is in the state it's in today.

Sure, it would be nice to boycott every station and every drop of BP oil, but that's not practical or logical. If I do my part, and millions of other people do theirs, then a boycott will have an impact. And yes, there are stations that sell BP oil under other brands, and there are lists of many of those available on the Internet.

I truly don't think you understand.
You are putting words in my mouth and changing your stance. You said, quote,

Quote:
To those whose logic is that "if I boycott BP, then someone else will just buy their gas" or "oil is a commodity, so boycotting BP does no good" .... I think you misunderstand how the market works.
you tried to say we don't understand how the market works. I'm telling you that you're full of bunk on that point. I know how a multinational, diversified corporation works (especially ones that do franchises, which means the store itself will usually buy items inside to sell and keep the profit... they pay for the name). You seem to be living in a world of small specialty mom and pops stores where everything is a perfect competition. Sorry to say it doesn't work that way anymore.

I said nothing about principles. I said nothing about how it's pointless to boycott BP stations (I said, however, that it is a very small dent in their profits), but instead gave an option that would make BP truly feel the consequences of their actions.

And, it's actually very practical. All you have to do is research your local stations and see where they buy from (again, this is public information since there are contracts involved). Hell, just a quick Google search would do the trick. I've already found which stations have contracts with BP around me and even stopped going to a local one because of this (I've emailed them many times but they said they cannot get out of their contracts until the end of the year, which means I'll wait until the end of the year to go to that store). If you don't want to go that extra mile, then that's you're problem.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,524,256 times
Also, you better start writing your Congresspeople and tell them to stop supporting BP. Currently, BP is the largest supplier to the DoD. Or your local school districts. Or universities with bus systems. Also, stay out of your cars and walk a little more... cut down you ENTIRE usage and buy less from ALL of the oil companies which have less than perfect records.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 PM

126 posts, read 223,309 times
bp stock is down 52% since april 20th...
since the drilling rig is owned by transocean deepwater horizon and is leased to BP, wouldn't the owner be responsible for any defects or structural failures? the leaseholder shouldn't hold all of the blame. if BP drops their fuel prices, i'll buy it... no worst than terrorist sponsored arab oil.

-a|ex

Last edited by a|ex; 06-27-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
bp stock is down 52% since april 20th...
since the drilling rig is owned by transocean deepwater horizon and is leased to BP, wouldn't the owner be responsible for any defects or structural failures? the leaseholder shouldn't hold all of the blame. if BP drops their fuel prices, i'll buy it... no worst than terrorist sponsored arab oil.
From reading various articles on The Oil Drum and other seemingly authoritative sources, I've gotten the impression that BP executives overrode various procedures during the drilling process that were recommended by both Transocean and Halburton engineers and experts on the rig, some in the name of time savings, and some in the name of cost savings.

That would seem, if true, to implicate BP.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM

126 posts, read 223,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
From reading various articles on The Oil Drum and other seemingly authoritative sources, I've gotten the impression that BP executives overrode various procedures during the drilling process that were recommended by both Transocean and Halburton engineers and experts on the rig, some in the name of time savings, and some in the name of cost savings.

That would seem, if true, to implicate BP.
transocean safety director Adrian Rose claims that abnormal pressure caused the blowout. i couldn't find any information about BP's unsafe practices causing the blowout.

-a|ex

Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM

16,348 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
All Gas comming out the pipelines is the same. Its made to 1 Standard. Gas get brand when it goes into the truck that brings it to the station. BP (Corp) is going to make the same amount of Gas, If they don't sell it under there brand they will sell it on the spot market, and it will get branded as someone elses gas.
Agreed. All such boycotts lead to is eliminating independent dealers.

It reminds me of a Shell boycott that an interest group was pushing in one of the large midwestern cities (which one escapes me). They were relatiely successful in closing down three stations ... until the mayor realized that there were three NEIGHBORHOODS that no longer had a gas station and people had to deive to the suburbs for their gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta