Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
you don't have to be licensed to cut hair or to fix your plumbing. but if you are doing it as a business, then you need to be licensed.
You have to have a permit to do plumbing or electric work and that has to be inspected, but I was referring to doing it for a living.

Quote:
but what does being licensed have to do with this? your statement is incorrect. Georgia Firearms License is required to own firearms in Georgia. not any moron can own a lethal firearm in Georgia. when purchasing a firearm, one goes through a quick federal background check to make sure the person isn't a criminal, violent person, or mentally ill.
There is no permit or license necessary for the purchase or ownership of a gun in GA. There is also no training required. Any moron can buy and own a weapon in their home. You merely have to be 18, pass the federally mandated background check, and you can't be a felon or metally ill, but you can be an alcoholic, or a moron, or anything else and there is nothing to stop you. My biggest beef is not requiring training.

The best analogy is driving a car. You can't drive a car without a license and proving that you can handle the responsibility without killing or injuring yourself or others. Guns require no such test.

Georgia is also a "shall issue" state for a concealed carry permit, which means that you must be issued a permit to carry, unless you have a felony conviction or other disqualifying factor, and those factors are few.

Quote:
not so smart people do not so smart things, even anti-gunners do not so smart things. like stating any moron can own a lethal firearm when in fact a license is required and a background check performed. i'm probably gona get banned again for stating the obvious.
I'm not an "anti-gunner" but rather a pro-common sense person, and I'll give your insult the answer it deserves....none. I fail to understand how a thinking person can disagree with requiring that people be trained and certified to own and use a deadly weapon like a firearm, just like they are trained and licensed to drive a vehicle.

When a person puts a loaded gun in a gas fired stove for storage, it proves that any moron can own a gun. BTW...do you own one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM

126 posts, read 224,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There is no permit or license necessary for the purchase or ownership of a gun in GA.
i didn't say a license is needed to purchase one. a background check is required for purchase. as for ownership, the county i live in requires a Georgia Firearms License to transport your newly purchased gun to your home. it is illegal to purchase a firearm online and delivered to your home.

Quote:
There is also no training required. Any moron can buy and own a weapon in their home. You merely have to be 18, pass the federally mandated background check, and you can't be a felon or metally ill, but you can be an alcoholic, or a moron, or anything else and there is nothing to stop you. My biggest beef is not requiring training.

The best analogy is driving a car. You can't drive a car without a license and proving that you can handle the responsibility without killing or injuring yourself or others. Guns require no such test.
cars are a bad example. any moron can get a license to drive. just look at the accident rates. we have all came across moronic drivers at least once a week (actually, i see moronic drivers each time i'm on the road). proper training will not eliminate moronic behavior, so that excuse is debunked.

Quote:
Georgia is also a "shall issue" state for a concealed carry permit, which means that you must be issued a permit to carry, unless you have a felony conviction or other disqualifying factor, and those factors are few.
permits aren't needed. Georgia Firearms License is all one needs to carry openly or concealed which is issued in the county they live.

Quote:
I'm not an "anti-gunner" but rather a pro-common sense person, and I'll give your insult the answer it deserves....none. I fail to understand how a thinking person can disagree with requiring that people be trained and certified to own and use a deadly weapon like a firearm, just like they are trained and licensed to drive a vehicle.
see my explanation above. training doesn't remove morons on the road. any thinking person knows this. just look at the traffic death tolls vs accidental gun deaths. better yet, just go out driving and see all the morons driving around.

Quote:
When a person puts a loaded gun in a gas fired stove for storage, it proves that any moron can own a gun. BTW...do you own one?
if you read the story carefully, it was placed underneath the stove and not in the stove. also read it more carefully again. it was never mentioned that the loaded magazine was inside the gun. it's more sensational if that part was left out. it's not uncommon for gun owners in high crime areas to have weapons hidden around the house. i'm not saying it was smart of him to put it there. but then again, we don't have the full story why he put it there and if he frequently bakes at 3am.

doesn't matter if i own or don't own a firearm. why do you ask? are you assuming that i'm pro-gun?

Quote:
Just another example of how you have to be licensed to cut hair or to be a plumber, but just about any moron can own a lethal firearm.
sounds very anti-gun to me... indirectly comparing gun owners to morons.
cutting hair and plumbing is an occupation, hence, licensing requirement. owning a firearm at home is not an occupation. see where i'm getting at?
i already proved that proper training doesn't weed out morons, use your driver's training as an example.

-a|ex

Last edited by a|ex; 07-05-2010 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
nice

Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 AM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
if you read the story carefully, it was placed underneath the stove and not in the stove. also read it more carefully again. it was never mentioned that the loaded magazine was inside the gun. it's more sensational if that part was left out. it's not uncommon for gun owners in high crime areas to have weapons hidden around the house. i'm not saying it was smart of him to put it there. but then again, we don't have the full story why he put it there and if he frequently bakes at 3am.
Who cares if it wasn't technically 'inside the oven.' It was idiotic to leave a gun under an oven, too. You don't have to know his 'reasons'. It's like leaving a gun on a living room table when you have kids. That's stupid 100% of the time. Any reasonable person should have been aware of the risks associated with this act.

Whoever said this deserves a Darwin Award was right.

Quote:
cutting hair and plumbing is an occupation, hence, licensing requirement. owning a firearm at home is not an occupation. see where i'm getting at?
A firearm is an inherently dangerous item. Who cares if it's not an "occupation"? This is like saying you shouldn't need a permit to set off TNT in your back yard because you are not doing it for work-related purposes. This ignores the fact that setting off TNT is an inherently dangerous act.

Your point about drivers' licenses is off. In order to drive, you have to have basic knowledge of traffic rules and regulations. While there are many 'moron-drivers', it's not true that "any moron" can drive. Many people fail the driving test multiple times before actually learning the material and passing. There would be far more accidents than there already are if drivers weren't required to take a written test and a driving test beforehand.

I can't understand your opposition to firearm safety. Even the NRA and most major firearms organizations are very dedicated to proper training on how to maintain, operate, and store firearms. If this moron had received that training, he might have at least thought twice about putting a gun next to a machine that reaches 500 degrees.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
i prefer to keep my firearms in the dishwasher. Much safer and cleaner.....

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
sounds very anti-gun to me... indirectly comparing gun owners to morons.
There are plenty of smart gun owners, such as me. Unfortunately there are also lots of idiots, hotheads, thugs, and untrained, unbalanced morons who have guns.

The trick is to find ways to limit the latter while protecting the rights of us smart people. That's not anti-gun at all.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
No doubt!

Where did this guy live & what was his race?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
what was his race?
Why does that matter? He was a dumbass with a gun, and that's all we need to know. Too many of those around, and that's what should concern you.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
kudo points for that one...

-a|ex

Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
Who cares if it wasn't technically 'inside the oven.' It was idiotic to leave a gun under an oven, too. You don't have to know his 'reasons'. It's like leaving a gun on a living room table when you have kids. That's stupid 100% of the time. Any reasonable person should have been aware of the risks associated with this act.
there is a big difference between storing it in an oven and under it. storing in the oven shows a higher degree of incompetence. i don't believe this person is a genius, but then again, smart people sometimes make stupid decisions (POTUS is a good example).

Quote:
A firearm is an inherently dangerous item. Who cares if it's not an "occupation"? This is like saying you shouldn't need a permit to set off TNT in your back yard because you are not doing it for work-related purposes. This ignores the fact that setting off TNT is an inherently dangerous act.
TNT is a bad example, homeowners can't readily purchase those.

Power tools are inherently dangerous and is a common item in homes. i'm not aware of any training requirements to own them. Kitchen cutlery is also another inherently dangerous item which can be purchased by young kids. still, there are many examples of inherently dangerous items in the home that doesn't require training or certification. the idea of training and certification has more to do with a profession. those that use guns as a profession require training and certification.

it may seem like a good idea for all gun owners to require the same training, but according to the NRA, this infringes on the 2nd amendment.

Quote:
Your point about drivers' licenses is off. In order to drive, you have to have basic knowledge of traffic rules and regulations. While there are many 'moron-drivers', it's not true that "any moron" can drive. Many people fail the driving test multiple times before actually learning the material and passing. There would be far more accidents than there already are if drivers weren't required to take a written test and a driving test beforehand.
if you know of any person that drives that shouldn't be on the road, then your argument is invalid. illegal aliens can get driver's licenses. no point in continuing with using the driver's license analogy, considering that automobile accidents outnumber accidental gun deaths by an absurdly large number.

Quote:
I can't understand your opposition to firearm safety. Even the NRA and most major firearms organizations are very dedicated to proper training on how to maintain, operate, and store firearms. If this moron had received that training, he might have at least thought twice about putting a gun next to a machine that reaches 500 degrees.
i'm an NRA member but don't fully believe in their philosophy. they do not want any type of restrictions (even background checks) that prevents anyone from purchasing/owning a firearm.

i believe that anyone in the business of selling firearms should be required to train their customers basic gun safety and maintenance. firearms licensing is a good requirement. to get one, one must show firearms proficiency.

it doesn't matter where that moron stores his weapon. i'm not his parent and neither should the government be.

for those that are clueless about firearms safety, most new gun owners are introduced to firearms from those with more experience. i see it all the time at the gun range. many experienced shooters are helpfully training either their friends, relatives, co-workers, etc... anyone purchasing a gun usually knows someone that already have a firearm. it's very rare that someone just buys a firearm without any thoughts about it. gun shows are full of newbies looking at what's available.

it is also the responsibility of parents to teach their kids about gun safety and proficiency. just like it's the parents job to teach their kids how to drive safely. relying on formal training is not sufficient, that's why there are many bad driver's out there.

-a|ex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta