Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 PM

19 posts, read 103,263 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of locating back to Ft Laud(my hometown) or Atlanta. I can work wherever theres an internet connection but am also interested in buying cheaper homes, fix em up , and rent them. We are in our late 30's ,small child and would be renting to start, in the Buckhead,Virginia Highlands, or Druid Hills area.

We have friends and family in Ft. Lauderdale but only 1 good friend in Atlanta. Ft.Laud seems to be dying. Housing prices drastical dropping, office space and apt. blocks siting empty plus our tourism has taken a big hit.

We are going to Atlanta for a long weekend next week to stay with my good friend who lives in Alpharetta to show us around.

Has anyone lived in both cities and can add anything ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
atl all the way. i love going there (have a condo i cant unload) but i can't live in fld

Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Many variables here. You have more family in Ft Lauderdale, and lived there before. It may make things easier for you. The transition could be smoother.

You're also right, well partially. Ft Lauderdale is not dying, but not growing either. House prices are still relatively high if you ask me. You will pay more for comparable fixer uppers in Ft Lauderdale, than you would for homes in Atlanta that may not need much work. I don't see doom and gloom, but not much improvement either. Compared to Atlanta, on many fronts Ft Lauderdale doesn't stand on much.

If you're looking for a new experience, not reliant on someone else employing you, and want something different, go for Atlanta. On many levels, Atlanta wins hands down.

As for buying cheaper homes, I don't know why you'd want to bother with Ft Lauderdale. Well, I should ask you to define cheap first. There are better deals in the Metro Atlanta area for houses. Send me a DM, if you want to talk.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,284 times
I currently live in Atlanta and have lived in Ft lauderdale, later in Boca Raton.

The older I get, the more family means to me and I wish I could live closer to many of my relatives in the NE.

On a recent trip to S Fla, I noticed that the northern part of Ft Lauderdale wasn't thriving the southern part around 17th st, Las Olas area seems to be doing much better.
And, a friend in real estate mentioned that the entire area was beginning to pick up again. Many investors seeing the good bargains. So, I expect, the town will begin coming back. The area has too much going for it to become a Detroit..

Anyway, while I like Atlanta, hands down, if I had family and hitstory in SE Fla, I'd move there
If not to Ft Lauderdale, then to Boca, or points a little further north.

Liz

Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
We lived in the Ft Lauderdale area for 3 years. We prefer the North Fulton area, hands down, except for missing the beach. One thing to consider, since you have a child. We found the schools here far superior to those in South Florida.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM

19 posts, read 103,263 times
Thanks for the replies. In either city we plan to rent for 1 yr. (around $1200 for a 2/2) Then buy for around $250-275K. I work from the internet , but my wife plans to look for work, or start a small daycare type biz. It is a difficult decision, but looking for the best bang for an $80 K( salary combined) and we have no debt), hopefully meeting new people(in Atl) and quality of life.

I wouldn't mind buying 1 or 2 properties in the 80-100k , fix them up and rent them, since interest rates are so low now. Anybody have experience doing this in Atl?

Thank you

Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,923 times
I'm escaping Ft. Laud now for Atlanta area. Will let you know next week.
However, so far, as for less expensive housing, friendly people, family oriented...I say Atlanta.
That's why we're moving!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 AM

126 posts, read 224,422 times
everyone will have different experiences. i lived in central florida but have also frequented friends living in broward county. like someone mentioned, the school system in FL is horrible. the reason we moved to the atlanta area was for better schools for our kids. we plan on moving back to FL after all the kids leave for college. the only thing i don't like about north atlanta is the traffic. but since you work from home (internet) this may be a non issue.

-a|ex

Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
There is an article in the AJC today about daycare and the number of places closing. May be be opportunities there once things start getting better.

Plan on needing 20-25% down to finance any investment property and having the income to qualify. Its great if you have a Long term horizon and have the money to buy in. Also, consider the risk of being vacant for several months and how that might affect your family or if you could handle it. While prices are good rental rates are down and vacancies high in many areas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfishlane View Post
start a small daycare type biz.

I wouldn't mind buying 1 or 2 properties in the 80-100k , fix them up and rent them, since interest rates are so low now. Anybody have experience doing this in Atl?

Thank you

Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Default Ft. Liquordale or Atlanta??? Atlanta, hands down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfishlane View Post
My wife and I are thinking of locating back to Ft Laud(my hometown) or Atlanta. I can work wherever theres an internet connection but am also interested in buying cheaper homes, fix em up , and rent them. We are in our late 30's ,small child and would be renting to start, in the Buckhead,Virginia Highlands, or Druid Hills area.

We have friends and family in Ft. Lauderdale but only 1 good friend in Atlanta. Ft.Laud seems to be dying. Housing prices drastical dropping, office space and apt. blocks siting empty plus our tourism has taken a big hit.

We are going to Atlanta for a long weekend next week to stay with my good friend who lives in Alpharetta to show us around.

Has anyone lived in both cities and can add anything ?

Any of you who may have happened upon my rants know my fondness, or lack thereof, for all things South Florida.....whoa, the fun I have with this topic never ends.....

If you want some twisters, look my past rants up and you will see the ONLY guy who ever complained, came from South Florida, what a surprise.

Suffice it to say, any normal business person who has the task of serving that place knows that is where civility ends. It usually starts with the lukewarm reception one receives as they enter any business establishment and goes down, promptly, from there.

South Florida will make you madder than a midget at a big and tall store on sale. This place invented the word, rude. No other place in America can quite capture the essence of this them better than the two-legged cheeze walking those blocks.

It's the knid of place one can go, pay $200 or more for a Hotel and be treated like feces for the effort. The kind of place that might like to include tips, despite the lack of earning one, and end with a nice, cynical, "have a nice day".

It's the kind of place that if you are walking on a sidewalk and yelled, "stop, thief!!!" fully 1/2 of them would run away....

"Gainful Employment" begins, and ends, somewhere off Oakland Park Blvd in a boiler room pitching vacations in a sea of smokers who look for the next scam along with all of the other folks in acid-wash jeans. From 16 to 60, they can all pretty much be viewed from the road outside of some C class space puffing away at 10, 2, and 4, pretty much like Dr. Pepper.

This is where people go to be grumpy. Mean. Nasty. And it's not limited to the young. You can go to any Publix near a Century Village and watch elderly patrons flip you off should you dare not save the 50th parking spot for them. The ones with gold-lamais tops and baggy sweaters in July complete with hydraulic facelifts and dangly earrings. Nice.

The kind that let the buggy go into your car, loud enough mind you to make the cart boy blush, and walk off with a "what are you looking at" kind of sneer. Don't take my word for it, try the one in Deerfield Beach.

Amazing. God's waiting room no doubt but, if they keep pushing it, the crematoriums are going to get busier if I have anything to do with it.

Ahem. Enjoy your stay down there. Ensure you have notepads by every phone so when you ultimately have to FIGHT with the lawn guy, the pool guy, the fence guy, the pest control guy, the painter guy, the you-pick-the-damn-service guy you will want AND need to take copius notes or endure the mediocrity they are so well known for in these parts.

It's the kind of place where multiple immigrant families can occupy one home to beat all those taxes at all costs. Can't miss them. There's some old Buick in the garage, two cars in front of the garage, two right behind them but juuuuust in side the sidewalk, two on the apron, and 2 or more on the curb.......that's one for Papi, mamasita, papasita, julio, oregeno, Igo, ugo, and papite.....3 generations, one set of taxes. And who said 10 can't live cheaper than 1???

It's the kind of place where one won't even tell you how to get to I-95 unless there's "something in it for them". The kind of place where better schools are something they did way back when somewhere else and yet complain there aren't enough police to keep the uneducated, unwashed masses in control later.

Here's a thought. A true acid test to the absolute stupidity of most service folks who work there. Go to Sterling Road, Exit East, go 1/2 block down, on your left, there is a Burger King. Been there forever. Go to the drive-thru and order a coke. When done, ask the window clerk; "hey, how do I get to I-95?" Now make sure you are far enough forward that they can almost see it in the background, hear the roar of the I-95 only a block away....wait....wait.....and guess what, they couldn't tell you , they only know how to get there for work.....swear to god, it never fails....I can come down there 3 years from now and get the same result. It's worked this way since 1989....amazing....

Hey, it gets better. Spend some time in the finer haunts of Haaaachhhlywood and the rest of Broward. The only ones still happy that they voted in Barrack. Despite the fact that their phony housing bubble finally popped....2 years ago....and the ponzi scheme for real estate is well, well over, you can still hear those Broward Dem's rattle on how much better they are now......followed by a long silence further followed by a curious snicker in the corner by most who have their eyes and ears open.....

Hey, who knows, maybe he can prevent the oil spill from reaching Broward.....not......

So, if you HAVE to choose, go Atlanta. You won't be sorry and you won't need so many notepads. Sure, the service sector can always endure some improvements around here too but, trust me on this, they are at a PHd level by comparison. They usually show up.

Visit? Sure....who doesn't like jumping curbs in a rental car and blaming the damag on "road debris" (opt for the extra insurance, you'll need it...what a hoot), throwing up in a hotel, and not tipping just to see the venom in their faces. Reserving "dinner cruises" on the USS Diesel Fume just to cancel at the last moment. Don't get mad, get even. Arrive more like Billy Bob Thorton and less like Betty White and you too can enjoy all Broward has to offer.

Stay thirsty my friends.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta