Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 20,686 times

Advertisements

Hello, my girlfriend and I are relocating from NYC to Atlanta for our careers and family so we are excited! We do not want a house at all, we are looking into luxury condos and town homes, we want low maintenance buildings with amenities are what we prefer. We are wondering what do people think of the following buildings, what one is the best value, best amenities, and all that good stuff. If it is a high-rise we are only going with units that have Atlanta Skyline views. We have a baby on the way so we want at least two bedrooms and a study or three bedrooms and a study. We have budgeted up to five million, but we would prefer to stay under.
Buildings we are interested in include(not in any specific order)
-St. Regis
-Sovereign
-The Mansion on Peachtree
-Ritz Carlton Buckhead
-Regents Park(2440 Peachtree)(lacks amenities, but amazing interiors)
-750 Park Avenue(seems to be a big price range, I saw one for 17 million?)
-The Wakefield(The amenities look horrible like we would never want to use any of them they look disgusting for that money) It is a coop not a condo. The common charges are crazy. On a 2.2million dollar unit the common charges were 6591 a month and the yearly taxes are 22070. So that comes out to 101162 a year and that is just insane.
So any information would be great.
With Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
IMO, I like the Sovereign since it also has Buckhead Club – Atlanta GA | Buckhead Business & Dining Club – Atlanta Georgia which would be wonderful for entertaining. The closet space is amazing too!

I would also consider Terminus Atlanta - World Class Office Towers | Terminus

I agree with the interiors of Regents Park.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
St. Regis- Classic Style, great amenities and hotel. A bit expensive for the square footage and view IMO. Unless you have one of the top two or three units, you won't get a skyline view, and I believe the 'true penthouse' is already taken.

Sovereign-I agree with everything George said, probably your best bet.

The Mansion on Peachtree-recently foreclosed on, no one to my knowledge lives there, but a great hotel for out of town guests(also great place to watch the annual fireworks show at Lennox Square )

Ritz Carlton Residences Buckhead-new, very clean, wonderful amenities package but sales are little to none. Provides easy access to the perimeter area via peachtree-dunwoody road.

Regents Park-townhomes, nice interiors, short drive to the midtown area if you ever needed to frequent that part of town.

750 Park Ave. - Probably the best security out of all your choices. Older building (1999-2000)
and older residents, if that matters to you.

The Wakefield-wouldn't be my first choice...or second,that's all I say.

Are you dead set on the Buckhead area?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the great information so far, so from the responses and from reading more online we are definitely ruling out the Wakefield, there is really no point in buying there if we are going to be paying all those fees but will not be able to use the amenities we want. We definitely do love the Sovereign, we are just wondering for decorating would the weird shapes of the units be annoying? We are into more traditional decorating, but we can still achieve that in the Sovereign with a bit of modification. 750 Park looks nice, but there is a big price range like 695 thousand to 17 million? Also we noticed all the units have electric cooking, I guess no gas?
So I guess we really like the the Sovereign and St. Regis, then maybe the Ritz and Mansion(iffy on both because the sales problems), then 750 Park is okay(are there many younger couples and children?). Regents Park we still love for the units, but the amenities are lacking. Even though we will join a Country Club we would like a pool at the building because it is just so much more convenient especially with the new baby.
Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM

So we have been looking at Sovereign Floor Plans and we found two which we love, http://www.sovereignbuckhead.com/sov...1_Unit%20K.pdf and http://www.sovereignbuckhead.com/sov...1_Unit%20M.pdf,
We were wondering what one do you all think is a better one? We have seen pictures of the type K and the living room seems really close to the kitchen though.
Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM

165 posts, read 483,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgoingsouth View Post
Thanks for all the great information so far, so from the responses and from reading more online we are definitely ruling out the Wakefield, there is really no point in buying there if we are going to be paying all those fees but will not be able to use the amenities we want. We definitely do love the Sovereign, we are just wondering for decorating would the weird shapes of the units be annoying? We are into more traditional decorating, but we can still achieve that in the Sovereign with a bit of modification. 750 Park looks nice, but there is a big price range like 695 thousand to 17 million? Also we noticed all the units have electric cooking, I guess no gas?
So I guess we really like the the Sovereign and St. Regis, then maybe the Ritz and Mansion(iffy on both because the sales problems), then 750 Park is okay(are there many younger couples and children?). Regents Park we still love for the units, but the amenities are lacking. Even though we will join a Country Club we would like a pool at the building because it is just so much more convenient especially with the new baby.
Thanks
I see what you're saying but honestly, I would go with Regents Park....to me it will age the best, they seem to have used quality materials and the price is very nice (i think the cheapest I saw was like $900k range with like 4 bedrooms or so). Other than that I would go with St. Regis.

Of course if it were really me...I would buy a house off of West Paces for a couple million and have my own pool, workout facility etc, and just pay someone to maintain it.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Single family homes are the way to go, and with the extra $$$ you will undoubtedly save, you can hire staff for landscaping and pool maintenance. Look at Mt Paran Rd as another great area for a large home in a nice neighborhood but still easy access to Buckhead and Midtown.

That said, if you really really ONLY want a townhome/condo, then I agree with the poster above - go for Regents Park and go for a townhome.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

17 posts, read 93,552 times
Spending $5mm on a high-rise condo in Atlanta probably isn't worth it. It's not the same experience as you're used to in NYC. A single family home in the same area seems like a much better value.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
$5MM I would definitely be in a house in Brookhaven with a membership to CCC.

Or off of West Paces with a membership to Cherokee.

Both will have more than enough amenities to satisfy your needs.

You can also hire a personal asst / maid if you're looking for bellhop/concierge type services.

Just me.

If I had to go with a condo, I would do the St Regis. Although, I will admit, I haven't toured the Sovereign complex. The Mansion is pretty cool, but the downstairs lobby/bar is so unassuming. Bank who foreclosed may be open to a fire sale.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
You can get a great house in Brookhaven for $5MM. If you really want a condo, you could scarf up a beauty for a million and have enough left for a cushy pad somewhere in Buckhead/Brookhaven.

I wouldn't overlook the older condo towers around Buckhead either. We had some friends who moved here from outside the country and they scored an entire floor in a 70s vintage building on Peachtree for a very reasonable price. They basically turned it into a 2BR space with a wonderful kitchen and living area, and still had nearly 6,000 sf of gallery space for their collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta