U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,734,184 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say that downtown is a lot more dangerous than any other part of Atlanta but I will disagree with BroadStJudge about the panhandlers. They are out well into the wee hours. South of Marietta St downtown starts going downtown rapidly. There always seems to be a lot of homeless near the bus station.

If you are going to be living a typical college student lifestyle(relatively frugal) then I think you'd be wise to check other options. McDonalds, a subpar Waffle House(that's saying a lot), and the overpriced landmark diner are about the only relatively inexpensive restuarants open after 7pm. That's a huge gripe of mine because I'm working 2nd shift in the area right now, there are plenty of students in the area after those hours during the school year yet the restuarants on Broad St don't seem to care.

You won't get anything near the experience of NYC(as far as vitality) anywhere in Atlanta. My biggest frustration with downtown is that it has a lot of potential but never puts forth any real effort to live up to it. It provides just enough for business people and tourists during the day and completely shuts down after 7pm. You'd be better off, I think, living in a neighborhood relatively close to Marta that has all the amenities college students need(grocery stores, cheap bars and restuarants that stay open relatively late). Check out L5P, East Atlanta, or Decatur. Maybe even try Midtown or buckhead. of course it's your decision in the end. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj971 View Post
Sounds, fun--but I'm hanging out in the upper midwest right now. I won't be to Atlanta till I move, in August.

Also, by bringing up the hype I don't mean to give the impression I buy into it--I'm painting my concerns in very broad and stereotypical strokes; I don't want to tire any one out here. As a non-resident, of course I don't understand why it is that some people say that downtown Atlanta is more or less fine, excepting a general level street crime that is common in any big city in the U.S. anyway, while other people say Atlanta is most dangerous and crime-ridden city they have ever lived in. I tend to chalk it up the way a lot of people are generally full of it and can't tell the difference between what they are afraid of and what there actually is to be afraid of. But, like I say, I've never lived there.

Level-headed, detailed accounts of the neighborhood by the people who live there are probably the most valuable thing to me, and, again, I appreciate the advice.
Two reasons:

1.) The form their opinions from the 6 o'clock news and think you actually have to have a bullet proof jacket to live there (I'm not making this up. I actually heard this)

2.) The things that people in the city accept as a fact of everyday life, some people who grew up in suburbia or small town america find absolutely terrifying. Because of this they'll blow an incident way out of proportion. For example, let's say a drug dealer is gunned down in some out of the way back alley of Downtown. A city person would respond like "What did you think would happen? If you deal with drugs, you'll deal with death eventually", whereas the hyper touchy person would say "OMG! See, I told you! Atlanta is DANGEROUS and SCARY!"

Bottom line though is that Downtown is neither bad, nor 100% great either. Actually, it's not even one single neighborhood, so it is hard to just lump all of them together. The vibe you'll get in Five Points is different from the one you'll find in Castleberry Hill or Centennial Place or Centennial Park or Allen Hill or the Hotel District or Sweet Auburn....you get the picture.

I lived in Downtown for several years and never had a problem. As some one mentioned, one big problem in Downtown is the lack of a big chain supermarket, though you can still easily walk to get groceries. First, the Sweet Auburn Curb Market has everything you need, and will probably be healthier for you since it's a farmers market. There are also more bodegas I can count throughout Downtown. They're great for one off items more so than food, but if you're in a pinch they work. But if you really need to get your big box shopping on, take the train a couple of stations up to North Avenue, walk two blocks: Publix.

As far as crime, the chances of you being a victim of a violent crime is pretty slim. Most of Downtown, but especially the GSU area, is heavily covered by APD, Capitol Police, the FBI (Downtown is the second largest federal government center outside D.C.), GSU police, and the Downtown Ambassadors. You are more likely, but not guaranteed, to be a crime of opportunity such as mugging or grifting. To avoid those though, just don't give money to the homeless (donate to charities instead), don't walk at night alone (bring a friend or get a big dog....though I've walked through the streets of Downtown all times of the night by myself and I'm still here), don't play 3 card monte. Basically, be aware of your surroundings and don't make yourself a mark.

The only real thing you should be concerned about is the building you are interested in, I haven't found any reviews online yet, but I have known a few people that lived in that building. Their experiences are mixed from one person hating it (plumbing problems), to another loving it. Contact a apartment locator like Promove or the check with the University if they have any apartment finding services (I'm pretty sure they do).

Good luck with your move!

P.S. Ask as many questions as you need to.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
OO7

21 posts, read 31,577 times
I've spoken with GSU student body president James Dutton, and part of the reason Downtown lacks nighttime activity is because the businesses aren't setup to accept the GSU student "Panther Cards." The parents of GSU students apparently don't give their kids cash directly. They load their kids' Panther Cards (probably to make sure their kids don't go spend wildly on booze or whatever). The businesses are open during the day to cater to the corporate crowd. At night, only the students and neighborhood residents are left. There aren't enough Downtown residents yet to compel many businesses to stay open.

As a board member of the Atlanta Downtown Neighborhood Association, I can tell you that we're working together with your student government president as well as Central Atlanta Progress to encourage your school to get the PantherCard readers rolled out ASAP. However, we need you to add your voice and rally your fellow students to encourage GSU president Becker to prioritize this higher and get this moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I wouldn't say that downtown is a lot more dangerous than any other part of Atlanta but I will disagree with BroadStJudge about the panhandlers. They are out well into the wee hours. South of Marietta St downtown starts going downtown rapidly. There always seems to be a lot of homeless near the bus station.

If you are going to be living a typical college student lifestyle(relatively frugal) then I think you'd be wise to check other options. McDonalds, a subpar Waffle House(that's saying a lot), and the overpriced landmark diner are about the only relatively inexpensive restuarants open after 7pm. That's a huge gripe of mine because I'm working 2nd shift in the area right now, there are plenty of students in the area after those hours during the school year yet the restuarants on Broad St don't seem to care.

You won't get anything near the experience of NYC(as far as vitality) anywhere in Atlanta. My biggest frustration with downtown is that it has a lot of potential but never puts forth any real effort to live up to it. It provides just enough for business people and tourists during the day and completely shuts down after 7pm. You'd be better off, I think, living in a neighborhood relatively close to Marta that has all the amenities college students need(grocery stores, cheap bars and restuarants that stay open relatively late). Check out L5P, East Atlanta, or Decatur. Maybe even try Midtown or buckhead. of course it's your decision in the end. Good luck

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,734,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
I've spoken with GSU student body president James Dutton, and part of the reason Downtown lacks nighttime activity is because the businesses aren't setup to accept the GSU student "Panther Cards." The parents of GSU students apparently don't give their kids cash directly. They load their kids' Panther Cards (probably to make sure their kids don't go spend wildly on booze or whatever). The businesses are open during the day to cater to the corporate crowd. At night, only the students and neighborhood residents are left. There aren't enough Downtown residents yet to compel many businesses to stay open.

As a board member of the Atlanta Downtown Neighborhood Association, I can tell you that we're working together with your student government president as well as Central Atlanta Progress to encourage your school to get the PantherCard readers rolled out ASAP. However, we need you to add your voice and rally your fellow students to encourage GSU president Becker to prioritize this higher and get this moving.
I don't really buy that panther card explanation. A HUGE percentage of GSU students are nontraditional and commute in from other neighborhoods and other cities. A lot work dayjobs and attend school at night in the Aderhold building and other buildings in the area. Most students who actually use the panther cards to buy stuff in the few campus stores that take it are straight out of mom and dad's house. I attended GSU for 3 years and not once did I use my Panther card for anything but printing and a rare snack machine purchase.

I see a good bit of people downtown when I go to lunch at around 9 or so and many I assume to be visitors. I believe businesses are missing out but I also think many are wary of the vagrant problem that is downtown's biggest problem.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,766 times
I was a little concerned about the grocery situation, but it doesn't too difficult to me.

Are any of you guys runners? How's that work downtown? (I'm guessing this will probably get me more referrals to head east along the MARTA line to parks and paths over ther, but I'm curious!)

Also, re the panthercard thing, I'll be a grad student, so I'm not sure I'll be using it that much, but who knows. The early closing restaurants will only bother me now and then; I like cooking my own food. I like going out occasionally, but it's no big deal for me. The farmers market, on the other hand, is kind of important to me. The Sweet Auburn Curb Market looks nice, but of course there's the Dekalb farmers market out east...

Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,849,216 times
[quote=aj971;15009456]I was a little concerned about the grocery situation, but it doesn't too difficult to me.

Are any of you guys runners? How's that work downtown? (I'm guessing this will probably get me more referrals to head east along the MARTA line to parks and paths over ther, but I'm curious!)

Also, re the panthercard thing, I'll be a grad student, so I'm not sure I'll be using it that much, but who knows. The early closing restaurants will only bother me now and then; I like cooking my own food. I like going out occasionally, but it's no big deal for me. The farmers market, on the other hand, is kind of important to me. The Sweet Auburn Curb Market looks nice, but of course there's the Dekalb farmers market out east...[/QUOTE]

Will you have a car? For general reference.

Fortunately, even w/o a car you could easily get to the DeKalb Farmers market--I think it's Avondale Station--could be another. Almost directly across from DFM.

I would think the running/walking would be more enjoyable around Piedmont Park--some brave souls may try it in downtown. I don't think I've ever noticed. GSU has athletic facilities and surely someone could provide some suggestions. With the Peachtree Road Race here on the 4th--interest in running is a priority for many. Freedom Park isn't too far away.
There should be something relevant here>>>
http://www.pathfoundation.org/

Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,766 times
No, unfortunately I won't have a car.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,849,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj971 View Post
No, unfortunately I won't have a car.
OK--many prefer it that way.
LOL--Recalling some of the ITP/Inside the Perimeter v OTP/Outside the Perimeter threads.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM

876 posts, read 1,944,298 times
Downtown living is fine; sure there is crime, but as long as you stay aware of you surroundings, you should be OK. Unfortunately, there are no grocery stores in downtown Atlanta other than Jiffy Marts. The closest Kroger I can think of is over towards Georgia Tech which is pretty far from downtown. I would guess that some grocery stores are accessible by MARTA rail lines, but nothing comes to mind right now.

I knew some coworkers who lived at Metropolitan at 20 Marietta St and their biggest complaint, just as it is for people who work around there are pan handlers, but they generally leave you alone. I visited some of the flats there and they were quite nice for me personally. The Metropolitan was converted to condos about 12 years ago if I recall correctly, so I would guess many of the owners are quiet overall.

If I were single and a student, I wouldn't mind living there. I don't know how the noise factor was internally with neighbors, but you do hear a lot of other external noises such as lot of street traffic and sirens from the emergency vehicles.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,078,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

Fortunately, even w/o a car you could easily get to the DeKalb Farmers market--I think it's Avondale Station--could be another. Almost directly across from DFM.

Avondale Station is correct, but the Farmer's Market is not directly across the street from the station. It's a little under a mile away from the station. Walking might or might not be feasible, depending on how much stuff you buy each trip. A bus runs right past it, though.

Another option for groceries (and other stores/restaurants) is the Edgewood Retail District, which is closest to the Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station (and NOT the Edgewood/Candler Park station...that'd make too much sense, and we don't usually do things that make sense around here). That would be a much shorter MARTA trip from Downtown than Avondale Station.

http://www.atlanta-midtown.com/busin...tail_district/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or